Favorite Video Games of all Time (Excluding VNs)

solidbatman

This question is getting hard for me, I've been gaming for over 20 years now. SMS, NES and MSDOS were my starting point. It also sometimes changes according to my mood. (but I love it at the same time hehe.)

1. Final Fantasy Tactics (I would say PSX, but I loved the new translation on PSP.)

2. Baldur's Gate II : Shadows of Amn (PC, no idea how many playthroughs of this I've played.)

3. Final Fantasy VI (Snes) (Though I'm willing to admit CT was the better game, by now I have feelings for FFVI lol.)

4. Earthbound (Snes) (Scratch and sniff game guide, hell yes! I still have fond memories of beating up hippies and Cranky Old Ladies.)

5. Castlevania : Symphony of the Night (PSX)

Many of the games some of you listed could've been here as well, but alas choices had to be made. I made a quick list of my faves from memory and then went by elimination. I guess the 90s were my "golden age" of gaming.

There's way too many honorable mentions, I could make a top 100. A few shoutouts : Lunar 1 & 2, Suikoden series, Xenogears, Vanguard Bandits, Dragon Warrior VII, Star Ocean 1 & 2, Tales series, The Legend of Heroes : Trails in the Sky, Ogre Battle, Tactics Ogre, Sierra Online's "Quest" games, Planescape Torment, Fallout 2, Arcanum, Daggerfall, Skyrim, Portal, God Hand, Vanquish, Chrono Trigger, Chrono Cross, Etrian Odyssey, SaGa Frontier, Super Mario Kart, Super Mario World, The Legend of Zelda : A Link to the Past, Phantasy Star IV, Shining Force, Valkyrie Profile, Radiata Stories, GTA San Andreas, Katamari Damacy, Shadow of the Colossus, SMT3 : Nocturne, GrimGrimoire, Final Fight, and I've got to stop myself now.

all the denial in this post. all of it.

Ouch. So harsh :(

A lot of Persona 3 I see. Do you guys like 3 over 4?

Persona 3 Portable is up there as one of my favourite JRPGs of all time, mostly because of the atmosphere and story. Persona 4 is not.

However, my sister likes Persona 4 more than Persona 3, mostly because of the atmosphere and story.

*Shrugs*, make of that what you will :P

This is harder for me than it should be. I've always been a Squaresoft fanboy, so trying to chose between any of those and other games I like is tough. In no order i'd say;

Silent Hill 2

Metal Gear 4

Starcraft

Chrono Cross

Final Fantasy..um...IX? Yeah sure I'll go with IX.

I also want to say Sonic 2, because...well..It's Sonic.

• 2 weeks later...

Persona 4 didn't make your top 5?

Nope, I'd say it is 6-7 on my top 10 list. I mean, P4 is an amazing game, especially with Yukiko and all that. But it wasn't as awesome as Persona 3: FES, in my opinion. But I think Counterstrike, Fallout 3 and NieR were better revolutionary games than P4. Counterstrike with its amazing simplified yet powerful online matches. Fallout 3 was a game that had things I always wanted in an RPG, and logged a good but of hours into it. And finally, NieR was the game that introduced me to JRPGs and Anime. I wouldn't be here without it. You have Solidbatman to thank

(or hate) for that :P

1) Total War: Rome

2)----------(Undecided)----------

3)----------(Undecided)----------

4)S.T.A.L.K.E.R: Call of Pripyat

5)Prince of Persia: The Sand of Time

PoP Sands of Time? Hmmm, I didn't enjoy it all that much, but I suck at platformers so that might have something to do with it.

Just for the sake of getting it off my chest, I'd also like to give a list of what games I think are the BEST I've played, which is very different.

Again, in no particular order, they are:

"Spec Ops: The Line"

"Earthbound"

"Pokemon: White"

"Starcraft 2: Wings of Liberty"

"Portal"

Hmm trying to think back to my personal favorites.

(In no particular order)

#Shadow of the Colossus (Something strangely serene playing this game)

#Final Fantasy VII (Perhaps overrated but it was my first introduction into the RPG world when I was young and I still remember almost every little route in the game)

#Pokemon Variant (Mainly the ones for the original gameboy renditions in black and white. Such a time sink here)

#Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask

#Lastly some fighting game variant, last I can remember pouring time into was Guilty Gear, Melty Blood, etc.

That's a bit of a tough question. I say I can divide this into two lists. The first list would be current gen games, xbox 360, ps3, wii, that gen. The other would be past gen games, like xbox, ps2 gameboy and anything before that.

Current Gen Games-

Assassin's Creed Brotherhood

Fallout New Vegas

Skyrim

Civ 5

Dragon Age: Origins

Past Gen Games-

Spyro 2: Ripto's Rage

Ratchet & Clank: Going Commando

Jak 3

Crash Team Racing

Anything Crash Bandicoot

Current Gen Games-

Assassin's Creed Brotherhood

Fallout New Vegas

Skyrim

Civ 5

Dragon Age: Origins

Past Gen Games-

Spyro 2: Ripto's Rage

Ratchet & Clank: Going Commando

Jak 3

Crash Team Racing

Anything Crash Bandicoot

Some people would call this 'cheating' ;)

It's good to see Civilisation in someone's list. Awesome game!

I need to pick just five? That's nearly impossible...

:mellow:

Tales of Eternia

Xenosaga III

Final Fantasy IX

Wild Arms 3

Megaman Zero 4

I'm not sure this is really a top 5, but all of these are games I truly love and would definitely make into any top 20 list I made...