What genre/description etc do you look for/avoid?

TheFantasm

When searching for a new VN to play through, what's your criteria? Do you have a specific genre that you've taken a liking to, do you go off ratings/reviews? On the flip side, which types of VNs do you prefer to avoid, if possible?

For myself, I've gone off recommendations by friends when I first started, and then have made my own judgements going forward. I don't really have a specific genre/sub-category (or whatever you'd call it) that I'm drawn to, just mainly ones that I avoid. I do a bit of research, and if I see there's something like say, rape, or netorare or anything else in that general area, I tend to stay away from it. For the most part, I also avoid those with known depressing endings, just because I don't feel like forcing myself through that.

What about you?

I tend to get turned off if the graphics of a game doesn't suit my taste. Even though I know that it's a great VN, I just can't bring myself to play it. And this might sound weird, but the UI also matter a lot to me. I tend to lean more towards VN's with beautiful UIs such as Rewrite and Grisaia no Kajitsu. I remembered dropping some VNs cause the UI and the font is not to my liking. 

I really dislike moeges, but that's about it. I love tragedies and mystery, but there aren't many of those- Well, I just kinda read everything. By now, I'm not even reading the summary, I just check it quickly to see if it's a nukige (if it is, I don't play it) take the next name ordered alphabetically in VNDB and search for a download of it.

I tend to get turned off if the graphics of a game doesn't suit my taste.  

I agree

When searching for a new VN to play through, what's your criteria? Do you have a specific genre that you've taken a liking to, do you go off ratings/reviews? On the flip side, which types of VNs do you prefer to avoid, if possible?

For myself, I've gone off recommendations by friends when I first started, and then have made my own judgements going forward. I don't really have a specific genre/sub-category (or whatever you'd call it) that I'm drawn to, just mainly ones that I avoid. I do a bit of research, and if I see there's something like say, rape, or netorare or anything else in that general area, I tend to stay away from it. For the most part, I also avoid those with known depressing endings, just because I don't feel like forcing myself through that.

What about you?

I personally am a romance fanatic so anything romance related is fine with me. But the story has to be able to develop, grow and present itself into something that of a Happy ending at least. I don't mind H scenes so that also another thing. I also look for long reads. I like spending a lot of time reading XD.

I'd generally look for colourful and clear artstyles.
If I find a VN with an interesting premise, I will try it out regardless of the art unless it is absolutely intolerable (i.e. art is really really really old).

I tend to get turned off if the graphics of a game doesn't suit my taste. Even though I know that it's a great VN, I just can't bring myself to play it. And this might sound weird, but the UI also matter a lot to me. I tend to lean more towards VN's with beautiful UIs such as Rewrite and Grisaia no Kajitsu. I remembered dropping some VNs cause the UI and the font is not to my liking. 

Yea, I get what you mean.

I actually almost dropped Little Busters because of those reasons. It was an amazing VN, but after coming from DC II with it's great artstyle and UI, I had to just forced myself until I got used to it.

I pretty much just look at the screenshots which is most often a sure way to tell if I'd enjoy it (staying away from bad art style, awfully dark stories and most nukige). I also look out for group sex tags to make sure there isn't more than 1.0 on that, though having any at all is already a big turn off for me. Same thing about NTR (reverse is fine). Don't mind some rape, though it's usually hidden as spoilers anyway.

Unfortunately, that really, really wasn't the case with the Da Capo series which has a good art style yet it's 90% cliche and is really long nonetheless (Innocent Finale is a bit of an exception, but I didn't like that either because of the main cast).

I generally avoid moege, not because I hate it but because other stuff is just more attractive. I think "oh after this vn I'll read a moege to calm down" but I never do w. What's currently a talking point, or highly rated in general, influences my choices quite a lot; so does more personal recommendations. I tend to enjoy highly rated VNs - even if I don't fully agree with stated opinions, they are generally upper tier - and it's quite possible the hype factor causes me to value them higher. Being influenced in this way isn't really all that bad - why would I not want to have a better time? ~

Reading popular VNs also has the advantage of giving you common ground to discuss with other people. I consider this a significant advantage.

I avoid utsuge; I haven't really read many of them at this point. but the concept is somewhat offputting. Well, I did like Actual Sunlight.

Art doesn't matter too much too me, and it saddens me to see many people pass on gems like Tsukihime et cetera for that reason (I suppose the remake might change their mind in 2030). Good art does attract me, but not really that much. Otherwise, there's always second opinions - I/O's style was admittedly offputting at first, but I got used to it by the end and actually liked it. I've also found that a lot of the work that makes a novel shine to me - like Higurashi's expressive sprite movements - aren't really reflected well in still images anyway.

Anyway, story quality is my #1 priority.

Art is a bit of a factor in my choices, but not that big. If the story is fine, I can deal with the art, although it may irritate me at some points. A VN can have great art, but a shit story, so that's why I don't make my judgements based soley on that.

I don't think I've ever come across "moege", and if I did, I wasn't able to identify it as such. If someone could post an example, that'd help.

Also, yeah, I'm fine with a few H-scenes here and there, but when it's literally there all the time, I don't care for it.

After playing Comyu i realized that chuuni/fantasy/superpowerthingy is not for me. I also not really into drama vn like Clannad, watched the anime  around 4 years ago and its bore me to death. Dropped it around episode 5.

Recently, the theme of serial killer have been really piqued my interest after watching Murican TV shows likes True detective and Hannibal. Seriously, I hope someone make VN about two serial killer (the protaganist and heroine) falling love with each other. Yasashi protagonist is too mainstream.

All in all, I am still fine with any genre. As long its keep me entertained. Good art and VA is always a plus too. Prime example of a bad Vn is Harukoi Otome. Seriously, the voice acting is bad, the art is bad, the comedy is -__-. Instant uninstall after 30 mins of playtime. 

for me as long as the story is good and i'm enjoying it i dont mind the styles,but recently i've taken a liking for moeges, and as the majority i hate nukiages it's just stupid (ironically my first ever VN was a nukiage)

No Nukiges! Good art that is up to my taste. BGM that fits into the right enviroment that can really move the scene. I prefer if it didn't have to many choices. Nothing stupid were animals or objects are the characters. Although I don't mind moeges(have read a couple for some light hearted fun) what I really want in a VN is a good story and compelling characters that reel me in, plot and characters that you can really feel for. I can handle tragedy and such as long as the ending is happy though and leaves on a good note.

I like darker stories, particularly things that, for lack of a better term, are fucked up. For this reason I'm pretty accepting about most things in VNs (and books/anime/movies as well). Rape, murder, NTR, gore... doesn't really matter so long as it has an impact on the story.  

Beyond that I like mysteries. There have been many a time when I've awoken those unfortunate enough to sleep in the same area as me from my, and I quote, "I FUCKING CALLED IT" screams of victory when a mystery is unraveled. 

I tend to play games (outside of MMOs and such) for story, so art isn't that big a deal to me. But... I have my limits. I have very difficult times playing games from the 90s, the art just makes me cringe when compared to more recent VNs.

I enjoy comedy and I like light hearted stories also, but they just... irritate me whenever theres no real conflict outside of "do I want OMG to die for happiness 1 or OMG to die for happiness 2?". This is why I haven't finished Muv Luv. I really liked some of the comedy and the atmosphere, but without any major conflict I just felt unmotivated to continue it (got as far as right before the hot springs). It's also one of the reasons I loved Clannad, due to having a really good balance of tragedy and comedy in it's generally positive setting.

What don't I like? Uhh... that's hard. I'm into most everything. The only thing I can really think of is Yaoi, and that's just because I lack a preference for men :S. I actually really enjoy romance though.Maybe simplistic harems? But even then if the story has an interesting concept I don't tend to mind (EX Rosario X Vampire). Oh... if a slice of life-esque work doesn't have intriguing drama or tragedy it tends to bore me, but good romance can make up for that... meh, I think you get the point. I like just about anything I read. Just have a preference for darker plots.

For me, the art is an important factor when it comes to choosing which visual novels I should play because after I am playing a visual novel, it not only has to please my eye but the art style also has to fit the game, e.g I like SOYOSOYO's CG art for I/O since the art doesn't have bright colours and that I/O is a sci-fi vn plus it pleases my eyes as well. Even if a visual is highly rated, I'd be very hesitant to play it if the art really doesn't suit my tastes e.g Umineko no Naku Koro ni. There are also times where I'll play a vn purely because it has gorgeous art, even if the vn itself isn't so highly rated, e.g Asami Asami's CG art for Re:birth colony -Lost azurite-

I would avoid most if not all visual novels that are really dark or anything that has extreme content simply because I don't think I can stomach whatever a really dark VN throws at me.

When looking for a new VN I got 4 different criteria:

1. What genre am I looking for? - I usually pick something I am interested in at that moment

2. What I don't like - I wont play a VN with things I know I dislike. 

3. Art - Pleasing and good looking in my eyes. I can't play a game with bad art in my opinion no matter what VN.

4. Translated - No matter how much I want to play VNs in japanese I can't understand nearly enough.

A couple times every year I search the whole vndb database and open interesting VNs. The problem is that at least 50% of everything interesting I find is so freaking hard or impossible to find.

I can almost play anything, depends on the mood. But I think I prefer a VN with a good story/slice of life/romance/comedy kind of VN. I can't play a VN with gore, beasts, yaoi, futa or horror.