Koi ga Saku Koro Sakura Doki Translation Project

Akerou

Well, it's not exactly being hard on me, but more like the perfectionist in me forces me to do it this way. Be it visual novel, light novel, anime or manga. Once I start something I can't help but enjoy (or endure, that always depends) it to the very end, without leaving out a single word or second. Needless to say, that means that I've not even once dropped a game or anime.

You don't want to know just how many kusoge I've played to the bitter end while crying and cringing inside.

Progress Update Week #2

progress_week2.png

Also, I was finally able to successfully hack the xp3 files, which means I now have access to the game data files (images, voice files, etc.)

The problem is, putting together a repacker that generates xp3 files that use a valid encryption the game can detect and read is a whole other story.

As an emergency solution, I took the game data and build a custom version of the game from scratch and modified core engine code to use a simpel xp3 encryption. With this, that custom version is now patchable and everything, but the problem is, you'd also have to download that custom game version when I release a translation.

To be honest, I'm not really motivated to invest my time into finding a different solution for this.

I'd like to hear your thoughts on it though.

I don't really mind having to re-download the game (since I've already downloaded the game).

I say stick with your solution because it works and that it's not really necessary to search for an alternative way to patch the game considering that you're not motivated + since your solution works, why add more unneeded work on yourself by looking for an alternative solution?

The problem is that packaging an entire version of the game with your patch is even more overtly copyright infringing than normal fan translations and it could see you served with takedown notices real fast. Or alienate you from the rest of the fan TL community who prefer to release only patches.

Clearrave is quite serious about copyright of this vn ( heck, 2 of my videos on youtube got taken down because of complaining from them already ), so altering the whole thing might invite some troubles for you~~~

It's not just "altering the whole thing", from what I understand his proposal basically means distributing a pre-patched custom version of the entire game. That moves into outright piracy territory. You should leave that to Fuwanovel in order to reduce the odds of being harassed by the publisher.

It's more like you would need the repacked version for the patches to work and there are plenty of places that can be used to distribute the game files. Well, as I said this is an "emergency solution" and I may have no choice but to do it this way. Hacking encoded text scripts is child's play compared to this, so it's not like just any "hacker" can easily do this.

The .dll that is used for reading the xp3 files is distributed without the corresponding write func, which means the approach you would have to take is reverse engineering the dll in order to be able to analyze the read func to build a packer for it. One approach I can still pursue is changing the engine script so that it uses both read functions. Like if one doesn't work, try the other. This would mean I'd only have to distribute the data.xp3 file.

The problem is that packaging an entire version of the game with your patch is even more overtly copyright infringing than normal fan translations and it could see you served with takedown notices real fast. Or alienate you from the rest of the fan TL community who prefer to release only patches.

We share here on fuwa pre-patched VNs and we don't have any problems with it, don't see why would he have any.

Progress Update Week #3

progress_week3.png

Scrap what I said last week, thanks to binaryfail we now have a custom sakusaku xp3-packer at our disposal, so you can expect <50mb patches.

I'll be on a trip next weekend, so don't expect more than 500 lines this week.

ETA for Konami route completion is around 3 weeks I guess.

thank's for the new info.'

I hope konami route finished in september :D

The translator moves faster then me most days but then ill have a slow day at work and be able to get through a few thousand lines in a day. But we will do out best, i will put in some extra hours each week where i can.