Tragedy and Video Game Violence - Documentary by Total Biscuit

Steve

I apologize if you believe this doesn't belong here, but all these problems of modern society looking at a specific demographics they don't understand are linked, whether it being video game violence or sexual content in VNs.

That's why I think this video fits here as well.

I must say I watch TBs videos from time to time but I am no fanboy, lot of the time I disagree with his opinions, especially on the matter of Visual Novels as he has no idea in that field (He once said they should be in "simulation" category xD)

However this video I agree 100% with and as someone from European country, lot of time I find myself accused of being an evil person for liking a certain thing, whether it being a shooter video game or erotic visual novel displaying younger girls (or even lolis whom I like in that matter). This however does not tie only to these matters in VNs, there is lot of violent VNs too.

And funny fact: Before revolution in my country, there even was so called "violent music" that was forbidden because it was believed by general public it makes people violent and likely to go against the state, and it was rock from western countries.

Anyway, without further ado, here is the video, judge yourself.

TB have made alot of vidoes I disagree with too, but this one is good.

I think VN's have a similar problem like that of video games. Media and other stuff have put it in a bad light and therefore we look down or away from them. I did this before I tried them. Boy were they different than I thought they were lol. I thought they were all just dating sims with tentacle hentai.

But I was wrong. It existed alot of very long and good literature with use of more kinds of media. How awesome.

About the Media... I agree 100% with what Totalbiscuit said. The media is currupt with the only importance of earning money.

I can take a example from my country Norway. We had a shooting with a crazed man killing around a 100 young people at a political camp. He also blew up a big bomb at our government's main building. All very big new's here in Norway, as nothing really interesting happens here. Worst that could happen is, a politician driving his tractor to work.

We heard contiued to hear new's and dicussions about it everyday, in the papers, on the radio, on the tv for a year. A year! Now a 1 year and a half it has died down and he's in prison. Really pisses me off how they put so much focus on it when there are so many people who are griefing over people that are close to them they lost. Getting reminded of those you have lost so often doesn't help with your grief, it makes it worse.

The media have lost my respect after that.

Also, pretty sure this comes under /Other talk, so its k :D

Just look at this, how can anyone lie so much on TV. I actually don't understand liers, how can they live with themselves. Yes I can like say a little lie or a joke for fun but this is just ridiculous. Those people are just trolls, surely after the interview they are like "muhaha, I forced my lie to so many people, excellent". Do they feel good from that? I dunno, like TB said these people are the real criminals, manipulating minds and getting paid for tragedy as well as encouraging other killers to do what their "hero" did.

Looked at the last one.. Actually, if you notice what the "proffesor legi" here says. I quote "medium" he says. Not games-... So he misquotes on purpose what the statistics says. You would naturally think that medium he talks about is games, but Infact it it is not. If you look at the statistics given by TB, self-written media (texts) is the higest likelyhood of creating more violence.

What a corrupt ass. The media just loves to manipulate information.

I think a lot of these problems are rooted in sensationalist journalists writing about stuff that they have absolutely no clue about. This would be unnacceptable if it were about a book or a movie but strangely it seems to be fair game to write crazy conspiracy theories about games, even if they have no clue about what the game is even about. Sort of like that Mass Effect incident on Fox New some years back.

• 1 month later...

I think its dangerous to write of all news programs as sensationalism as this isn't always true. This varies a lot between different countries and news programs.

While i can't claim to know anything about american news programs I think that the biggest news programs in Sweden are rather good (Our most popular newspaper isnt though) as they usually focus on the facts when reporting and then have discussion sections where various people (like scientists) discuss their opinion. This makes it easy to separate facts and theories and allows everyone to form their own opinion.

Therefore I think its important to separate sensationalist journalists and legitimate journalists. To generalize all journalists isnt fair.

I think its dangerous to write of all news programs as sensationalism as this isn't always true. This varies a lot between different countries and news programs.

While i can't claim to know anything about american news programs I think that the biggest news programs in Sweden are rather good (Our most popular newspaper isnt though) as they usually focus on the facts when reporting and then have discussion sections where various people (like scientists) discuss their opinion. This makes it easy to separate facts and theories and allows everyone to form their own opinion.

Therefore I think its important to separate sensationalist journalists and legitimate journalists. To generalize all journalists isnt fair.

IMO mostly our news here in Norway are tabloid. The state backed television NRK which has no newspaper is somewhat good, pointing out faults with the State and other intitutions quite often. That starts alot of debate etc. But still alot of boring news...

I don't know much about Sweden or American newspapers but.

The best news organistion I know of is The Economist, It gvies out it's news magazine once a week. After reading them for years one thing I am certain of and that is they know their stuff. They mostly only have interesting news, if I go through one of the newspapers here at home. I may find 1 interesting article and that may indeed just be a a shit article, putting the headline out of context to get more readers.

Actually NRK made a news about gaming addiction and video games just recently. Showing footage of Call of Duty (6?) and the shooting of civillians in a airport. They on purpose showed video games in a way to portray negativness, added alot of fancy gray filters, etc. They also said (to my amusment) if you are playing for 3 hours or more each day, you maybe addicted to games :D/>

My parents were sitting with me with worried faces, while I was trying to hold my laughter back. For me it's impossible to take such a ridiculous news showcase seriously. They were on purpose trying to invoke emotions.

Sorry for all the ranting :D/>

Usually they'll talk about how violent games might be bad for children. Point is, children aren't supposed to play these games in the first place :lol:

We had a similiar report where they showed the airport scene bit then afterwards they interviewed some gamers who had different opinions. I think the scientist they interviewed was one of those who believes that violent video games don't create violence but can sometimes spur on already violent people. Which isn't reason enough to forbid them. But no matter who they interviewed they did mention that there are several conflicting studies on the subject (which I think is very important no mattet if you are for or against violent video games).

haha Norway is so far away from the United States in relation to news and such its an odd comparison. Ive been to Norway. Its so beautiful.

United States News is pretty much a joke. Sure so of what they say is true but when it comes to sensationalism they will "Stretch" the truth for ratings.

hmm, good example here:

http://www.destructoid.com/boob-wars-big-breasts-vs-flat-chests-243413.phtml

Actually i lol'd hard reading it. But... this is how most people see eroge in a way (most times even worse).

At least eroge isn't popular at all like shooters, but still we had a lot of problems already like:

Shuffle/Mangagamer(Because primula is loli)

Kodomo no Jikan in the USA(banned, pervert lolis everywhere... Mangas are aimed though)

etc..

Media will always try to stalk what is popular (at least there is no problems with eroge yet)... haah;

hmm, good example here:

http://www.destructoid.com/boob-wars-big-breasts-vs-flat-chests-243413.phtml

Actually i lol'd hard reading it. But... this is how most people see eroge in a way (most times even worse).

At least eroge isn't popular at all like shooters, but still we had a lot of problems already like:

Shuffle/Mangagamer(Because primula is loli)

Kodomo no Jikan in the USA(banned, pervert lolis everywhere... Mangas are aimed though)

etc..

Media will always try to stalk what is popular (at least there is no problems with eroge yet)... haah;

Destructoid isn't a serious news site at all, they just want ratings and looked by the amount of comments it seem to have worked. Well there being actually deep and story driven vn's isin't well known. I doubt the poster at the site knows that. Or maybe he does and only trolls.

haha Norway is so far away from the United States in relation to news and such its an odd comparison. Ive been to Norway. Its so beautiful.

United States News is pretty much a joke. Sure so of what they say is true but when it comes to sensationalism they will "Stretch" the truth for ratings.

Well thank you, I think it's very nice here as well ^^

Glad the news aren't that bad here...