Fuwanovel Podcast (Fuwacast) Official Thread

OriginalRen

OK I'm about 80% thru Episode 5. Some interesting discussion about the game.

One pet peeve was the consuming of food (chips?), dog barking and heavy breathing sporadically throughout the podcast. If you are hungry, eat beforehand or at least mute your mic while you are eating. The dog barks could also be edited out post-recording or close the door? I'm probably going to get flamed for being too critical but I really think these things could be fixed easily and make the overall podcast much better.

Yup, that was my bad. As for the eating, I was just starving. As for the dogs, I can't help the barking unfortunately. The microphone is very sensitive in that regard. The good news is that in future episodes I have been working on trying to set a push to talk option instead of a constant open mic where the breathing is prevalent.

Regarding volonteers.

I don't think we should rush things.

By making so many episodes so fast it might become too normal.

Maybe monthly would be better ? That way it's a little more exceptionnal, and people knowing that may look foward to participating in it more.

Plus, if there is a monthly release schedule, people may look foward to listening to it more too.

It also gives you more time to prepare for it, to narrow the set of questions and polish the presentation.

Regarding volonteers.

I don't think we should rush things.

By making so many episodes so fast it might become too normal.

Maybe monthly would be better ? That way it's a little more exceptionnal, and people knowing that may look foward to participating in it more.

Plus, if there is a monthly release schedule, people may look foward to listening to it more too.

It also gives you more time to prepare for it, to narrow the set of questions and polish the presentation.

It's interesting you bring this up. While I have previewed the upcoming episodes, I do not plan on revealing any new ones until those have finished. I plan to upload 1 of them near the end of this month, and the other 2 in August. This means September will be the next time you see anything regarding a topic or new idea. Still, I like to get the ball rolling early so timezones don't play a huge factor in creating them. If I can record it a month beforehand, I can save it and wait until the time is right to post it! One of the reasons so many came out so quickly is that I needed to get caught up with the 2 month release schedule.

...also I may or may not have gotten a little too excited and enjoyed making them. Shh. :ph34r:

Hey OriginalRen.

I thought I would just chip in and volunteer for episode 10. That's the one about how the visual novel industry is going to develop here in the west, correct? I made a video on that topic a few months back, so I figured I could join in for this episode in you cannot find anyone else to do it.  :)

So, seriously, what do volunteers have to do? Do we just start with a topic and go along? Is there some sort of quota or something that must be achieved? Is there a time limit of some sort?

You just talk, really. The host asks various questions and brings up topics for discussion based on the overall theme of the episode, after everybody is done with one topic it's on to the next. This continues for about an hour.

You could listen to an episode, to get a better idea of how it works.

So now that we have everyone for episode 10, are we going to establish anything like times soon?

Ren usually sends a PM to all the episode guests when he decides upon the times. Expect them to be on Tuesdays, he's particularly fond of them.

I can't figure out how to download the episodes on mixcloud.

Is it possible to ?

I've used a google chrome extension called 'Mixcloud Harvester Downloader' and it downloads it to an mp3 file. After installing, an extra button is found next to all the others that allows me to download them.

A: While I do understand that there are guests in the podcast episodes that don't have as much to say, I feel this point is a drawing a fine line for the community and not allowing everyone to participate. One of the major points I want to reflect on from this suggestion is that in all reality, getting volunteers for episodes is already hard enough. I do my best to advertise for those episodes and try to keep each of the episodes varied (one with a specific visual novel/anime topic and another with a more open ended opinion question), however the lack of volunteers is just what it is: a lack of volunteers. Limiting the restrictions on who is allowed to join would not only make some people feel left out, but also make it very very hard to find volunteers, if any at all.

Talent is something you have to seek.  The people you want the most aren't necessarily going to take the initiative to volunteer.  People tend to respond better when you appeal to their ego than if you just cast the widest net possible.  Finding the right people for each topic is going to require some familiarity with the community, use of social connections, and some good old fashioned persuasion.

Talent is something you have to seek.  The people you want the most aren't necessarily going to take the initiative to volunteer.  People tend to respond better when you appeal to their ego than if you just cast the widest net possible.  Finding the right people for each topic is going to require some familiarity with the community, use of social connections, and some good old fashioned persuasion.

Its like he's saying, "me and my awesome friends are totally NOT joining your podcast until you beg us on your knees like our ego deserves!"

just my horrible way of looking at it, you don't have to agree

Surprisingly though, I find a lot of truth in that statement.