Translating: Is it ok to cut H scenes?

Okami

I think that's a bit too extreme.

No author is forced to do anything they don't want to. Certainly the company they are working for most likely has rights to edit what they feel like editing and censor it if they feel is right but they can't force him to write h-scenes if he doesn't want to. Slavery has been abolished as far as i recall.

But that's the company who produces it. They are the owners of the product.

And those companies who license it also have the right to alter it since they paid money for it so the original company gave them consent to.

Which is not the case of fan translators.

I do understand fan translations are already meddling with original work and authors don't like it, but it's exactly because of that a fan translator should do their best to at least show their respect for the original work and try to make the translation as good and accurate as possible without cropping stuff out and bring the vn exactly how it was originally to other people so they are interested in the original author's works.

This increases the vn's popularity and that's the kind of respect I think should be shown, not censored copies made by fans, that's not bringing out the original work that's trying to make it into your image.

Aaeru even wrote about this: https://fuwanovel.net/faq/spreading-culture-increases-supporters

But again, it's the translator's choice, they can censor if they want to, they'll just have to deal with criticism after because  they censored a work that wasn't like that orignally, and we know how that ends up *cough* moenovel *cough*.

If they give a decent excuse like not being able to translate it that's kind of acceptable but other than that you're just being half assed.

Yes, sure they can't force them against their will, they can only give them the option of choosing to write H-scenes or to find someone else to sponsor their work, which is equal forcing them to do it.

And I already told you "Oh, and please don't give me crap about because they didn't put any money in production and such." so I don't accept your statement company have the right to change/censor work because they paid money but translators don't because they didn't.

Obviously people who like H-scenes are going to be pro H translation.  So what else is new?

The censorship argument doesn't work on me; once an unauthorized translation is decided upon, unauthorized censorship may also be applied (as long as it is advertised as such).  The alternative is authorized translation and authorized censorship.

As for me, I now skip all H content, and all my projects will be non-H.  That doesn't necessarily mean all-ages, but it certainly means not X-rated.  If a consumer version is available for a particular title, that one will be translated.  If not, the PC version will be translated but censored so that I don't have to think about X-rated content.

One thing I'm willing to do is provide a means for an uncensored project to be forked (i.e. derived) from mine up front, while it is still in progress, instead of making someone provide a restoration patch later.

Yes, sure they can't force them against their will, they can only give them the option of choosing to write H-scenes or to find someone else to sponsor their work, which is equal forcing them to do it.

And I already told you "Oh, and please don't give me crap about because they didn't put any money in production and such." so I don't accept your statement company have the right to change/censor work because they paid money but translators don't because they didn't.

But that's exactly how it works. Money can buy the rights to edit the novel.

The companies that license it have been given permission from the original one to do what they want.

The money is the key for it, but that doesn't change the fact they were allowed to do it by the original producers.

Fan translators weren't. The key word here is permission.

Sure the money bought the permission, but it's still permission and fan translators didn't have that permission.

I'm not giving you any crap. It's how licensing agreements work.

Flutterz expressed how i feel about this in a very simple manner. I believe there's nothing else to be said from my end.

And in the end all these arguments are useless because fan translators are free to do whatever they want.

I just expressed my point in thinking it's wrong. But that won't change a thing.

*Holds the ctrl key to skip this argument*

Hmm, if only I could also apply this method to the H scenes I don't like.  Wouldn't that be magical?

What does that have to do with the price of tea in China?? This is about translating.

If you are a translator and want to pick up a title for your translating project, why would you pick up one that has H content if you don't can't stand it? Why not just stick to translating all ages visual novels instead. By leaving the H content untranslated, I feel you are not doing the translation justice for English speaking fans. If you get someone else on board to do it for you however, then that is fine.

Maybe in some ideal world but in reality the one sponsoring production is the one making final desidions not the one making it. Who knows how many of Autors didn't even wan't to add sexual content to their work but are forced to do so by director and others above him. There is really no way of knowing what autor himself created and what was forced on him to add or changed by thouse above him. I thought that this is too obvoius for anyone to ask for sources of it. So from my point of viev there is nothing wrong to censore something to suit tastes of people that you are making that something when it was censored and changed 100 times allredy in the past.

And for your question about if I had book and you change it, if I didn't planed to release my book to teritory that you are bringing that book by translating it I wouldn't care.

Not really the case, I'm not that knowledgeable on this, but I kinda know about these two companies (yeah, feel free to call me a fanboy or a newbie)

Didn't Key co-founders left their former company (can't remember the name) and founded their own with Visual Arts' help? Wasn't Type-Moon made by people in highschool who made a doujin and became popular?

I think it's true that erotic content is used for getting more sales, Key started with two 18+ games and after becoming nice and sound made Clannad and it was still a hit. Type-Moon made their first all-ages fairly recently too (and pretty much 12 years after founding). Funny enough that these two suck at writing H, though.

Now then, is there something wrong with censoring other people's work? No, I don't think there is, nor I think there is any need to respect them. The thing is, how are you supposed to say you read the original if you didn't read the first released version? A lot is already lost after the translation, now translators come and decide not to translate H- fine by me, they can do whatever they want.

But it's still upsetting without all of it translated, like when you see a ray of light covering a pantyshot- not much is lost, not much is gained but it still can upset to find such a thing. Now think of an ecchier work, did you watch the Muv-Luv anime? At times the entire screen went black to censor gore, there is people that drop just because of censorship. though censorship is not exactly o topic, so let's go back.

You wouldn't be bothered by your work being re-written, that's quite thing. Is it because your work is of no matter to you, or is it because you just don't mind? Either way is perfectly fine, but your work is your work, and once something is edited from the original content it stops being yours, and I rather read something by the original author than something by someone else's ideals.

I'm learning more languages so I can read the original works even though I'm not that excited about languages themselves, and I most likely won't need them in my professional life. That's just how much it bothers me to don't read the original.

The companies that license it have been given permission from the original one to do what they want.

The money is the key for it, but that doesn't change the fact they were allowed to do it by the original producers.

Sure the money bought the permission, but it's still permission and fan translators didn't have that permission.

Flutterz expressed how i feel about this in a very simple manner. I believe there's nothing else to be said from my end.

And in the end all these arguments are useless because fan translators are free to do whatever they want.

I just expressed my point in thinking it's wrong. But that won't change a thing.

I called it crap because, like Zoom909 and Kaguya already pointed out fan-translation is already unauthorized so talking about permissions now is pointless. You said a lot about how exactly because it is unauthorized they should at least not change it, but that is like saying I will go rob a bank, but out of respect for people who worked hard to earn their money and put it into the bank I will at least spend that money wisely.

If you are a translator and want to pick up a title for your translating project, why would you pick up one that has H content if you don't can't stand it? Why not just stick to translating all ages visual novels instead. By leaving the H content untranslated, I feel you are not doing the translation justice for English speaking fans. If you get someone else on board to do it for you however, then that is fine.

Because you love story from that VN that has H-scenes, but you hate H-scenes themselves.

I will also point out that Flutterz argument seemed a bit like a strawman there, don't think you should rely on that type of thing too much- Sure, I'd hate it if some random guy added sloppy art to a patch, but that's because of quality, not permission. I assure you that most people would be ok if some amazing big-shot artist coupled with a key-quality writer (even if not from key) decided to make some extras to it.

I will also point out that Flutterz argument seemed a bit like a strawman there, don't think you should rely on that type of thing too much- Sure, I'd hate it if some random guy added sloppy art to a patch, but that's because of quality, not permission. I assure you that most people would be ok if some amazing big-shot artist coupled with a key-quality writer (even if not from key) decided to make some extras to it.

I said sloppy simply because the only instance of removing H-scenes I can think of (and probably the most well known one) is when the H-scenes were removed in Konosora, where many of the complaints stemmed from how not only did they cut content out, but also did a shit job of it.

Of course, I can only speak for myself, but I wouldn't want someone to add H-scenes to Clannad, especially if there wasn't an all-ages translation.

I called it crap because, like Zoom909 and Kaguya already pointed out fan-translation is already unauthorized so talking about permissions now is pointless. You said a lot about how exactly because it is unauthorized they should at least not change it, but that is like saying I will go rob a bank, but out of respect for people who worked hard to earn their money and put it into the bank I will at least spend that money wisely.

Because you love story from that VN that has H-scenes, but you hate H-scenes themselves.

But we are talking about translating a visual novel for other people to read who already know there is H content and expect it, not about reading it and just putting up with the H content because you don't like it. Just because you don't like or think H scenes are wrong gives  you the right to force your censorship ideals on others.

I said sloppy simply because the only instance of removing H-scenes I can think of (and probably the most well known one) is when the H-scenes were removed in Konosora, where many of the complaints stemmed from how not only did they cut content out, but also did a shit job of it.

Of course, I can only speak for myself, but I wouldn't want someone to add H-scenes to Clannad, especially if there wasn't an all-ages translation.

Well, people who played and liked the original Clannad would most likely agree with you there.

I can't see why those who don't have an attachment to the game would complain, though. If we're talking the same level of quality as the rest of the VN, people would most likely just be fine with it.

Again, I'm not on either side on this subject (or perhaps I'm in both)- I think either way is fine and people are making way too much of a ruckus about it. It's just a question of what you value the most, really.  Still gonna play devil's advocate, though~

I get it i'm trying to mix legal with fan translation. It's going on a stalemate here so i'll just put it like this:

Fan translators can do whatever they want, they were unauthorized from the beginning, therefore they are "entitled" to change what they want since it's already illegal anyway and I can't make a counter argument for this.

But I as a "consumer" also have the right to want to know how the original work was but I can't try it because I don't know the original language (I'm trying to learn though~) and I'm not the only one here, therefore it is in the best interest of those who want to try the novel that they are given the full product and with the closest translation as possible. 

I wouldn't feel right if I was given an adulterated translation that chops off chunks of the vn's story, even if it's h-scenes, because they're not trying to give me the full experience and I can't sit still and feel happy about it.

I'll never be able to support censorship.

It's not about h-content, it's about removing stuff from the original work really.

Translating it already removes part of what it felt like originally. Removing whole scenes from it is just something I can't accept.

And this is not just for h-scenes.

Would you like horror to be censored too because you think it's too violent?

Would you like cursing to be censored because you think it's inappropriate?

All these things are part of certain vns and they are there for a reason, it was made like that and a translator's job, if they wish to do their best, is to try their best to deliver it and make it feel the way it was supposed to feel and I can't accept when scenes are removed from an original work.

It's as simple as that.

Whoever translates it and decides to leave out these scenes will have to live with criticism from it as well but as long as they don't falsely advertise it then all you can do is resign to it. It sucks but it's how the internet works.

I'm not going to mix legal and illegal stuff anymore, that's just going to go in an infinite loop. This is simply about delivering a product and trying to showcase it the way it was originally intended and the way people normally would want to see it. At least I like to see the original product, I can't read the original language though so I look for fan translation which isn't already original so when you remove the scenes it just doesn't sit well and I can't accept it.

But we are talking about translating a visual novel for other people to read who already know there is H content and expect it, not about reading it and just putting up with the H content because you don't like it. Just because you don't like or think H scenes are wrong gives  you the right to force your censorship ideals on others.

Well people who cut out H-scenes translate for people who don't like H-scenes not for people who want H-scenes. And you wan't expect them if translator say that he is gona cut them out. Also they aren't forsing their ideals on you, you will have a choise to put up with it and read it without H or to not read it at all the same choise that people who dislike H have to make before reading a VN with H. So saying that they force their ideals on you is the same if I ware to tell that translators who do translate H are forsing their ideals on me for not cuting out H.

Well people who cut out H-scenes translate for people who don't like H-scenes not for people who want H-scenes. And you wan't expect them if translator say that he is gona cut them out. Also they aren't forsing their ideals on you, you will have a choise to put up with it and read it without H or to not read it at all the same choise that people who dislike H have to make before reading a VN with H. So saying that they force their ideals on you is the same if I ware to tell that translators who do translate H are forsing their ideals on me for not cuting out H.

Well, whatever. It sounds like to me that just because you don't like H content, you think that no one else should like it or have access to it either. Oh, and it does not make everyone a pervert just because they like H content. I found that offensive when you replied to that other poster.

Cutting H-scenes - offend H-lover players.

Keeping H-scenes - H-hater players get annoy. ( <<< me, I almost always skip H-scenes without any care )

So how about just make 2 patch, 1 with and 1 without H-scenes ( like Basic Translation did ) then?

I get it i'm trying to mix legal with fan translation. It's going on a stalemate here so i'll just put it like this:

Fan translators can do whatever they want, they were unauthorized from the beginning, therefore they are "entitled" to change what they want since it's already illegal anyway and I can't make a counter argument for this.

But I as a "consumer" also have the right to want to know how the original work was but I can't try it because I don't know the original language (I'm trying to learn though~) and I'm not the only one here, therefore it is in the best interest of those who want to try the novel that they are given the full product and with the closest translation as possible. 

I wouldn't feel right if I was given an adulterated translation that chops off chunks of the vn's story, even if it's h-scenes, because they're not trying to give me the full experience and I can't sit still and feel happy about it.

It's not about h-content, it's about removing stuff from the original work really.

Translating it already removes part of what it felt like originally. Removing whole scenes from it is just something I can't accept.

All these things are part of certain vns and they are there for a reason, it was made like that and a translator's job, if they wish to do their best, is to try their best to deliver it and make it feel the way it was supposed to feel and I can't accept when scenes are removed from an original work.

It's as simple as that.

Whoever translates it and decides to leave out these scenes will have to live with criticism from it as well but as long as they don't falsely advertise it then all you can do is resign to it. It sucks but it's how the internet works.

I'm not going to mix legal and illegal stuff anymore, that's just going to go in an infinite loop. This is simply about delivering a product and trying to showcase it the way it was originally intended and the way people normally would want to see it. At least I like to see the original product, I can't read the original language though so I look for fan translation which isn't already original so when you remove the scenes it just doesn't sit well and I can't accept it.

I think you are giving too much creadeit to original product.

Now let's put it this way since you are saying that it is not about H.

Let's say we have a really old movie from 50', in it's days it was an average movie but now days it is old sh*t compared to any new stuff. Somebady takes story from that movie and makes a remake witch gets "oscar for best movie ever" Remake drifts from original a lot but it is far greater. You can watch only one ramake or original, witch one would you chouse?

See you are puting too much credit into original product.

Let's say we have a really old movie from 50', in it's days it was an average movie but now days it is old sh*t compared to any new stuff. Somebady takes story from that movie and makes a remake witch gets "oscar for best movie ever" Remake drifts from original a lot but it is far greater. You can watch only one ramake or original, witch one would you chouse?

Remaking is one thing. Taking the 50's movie you use as an example, and cutting out the parts you and some other people dislike and expecting an Oscar is another.

This topic is totally pointless isn't it? ;p If I don't like the H-scenes I click the skip button or click through it if that's not possible. Not much more too it than that. 

Should people who don't like H-scenes have to accommodate to people that do? No, they shouldn't if they want to read it without then they can ask a translator to make a patch specifically for them cutting it out, or just skip past.

The same way people who like H-scenes shouldn't have to accommodate to people that don't like them, If they were there originally they should stay but obviously adding them in would be ridiculous just like taking them out. 

I mean any other way you're just acting like a spoiled brat who thinks the world should only run their own way >.< (And I know the wording I may have been slightly confusing so sorry about that :P

It's as simple as that.

As expected from my partner, you have some nice arguments now~

*goes back to playing devil's advocate*

As expected of my partner as well, you've got some pretty high standards, huh. You're basically saying that you need the full experience or else you can't support the release at all, perhaps you'd be better off with the "-hime" than me, really.

Think about it- they're certainly not giving you the full experience when they translate parts of it, but doesn't it seem too radical to just say "oh, a part is missing. Sorry, your efforts are insufficient to please me. Full VN or GTFO."

Why is it that groups that leave a partial patch translating parts of some routes are totally ok but people who leave H-scenes out aren't? I mean, think of it- H scenes are generally just a small part of those VNs (since I'm yet to see a group translate a nukige and leave H scenes out. Unless you're like moenovel, but I'm not going into that now). That means the group successfully delivered you over 90% of the visual novel. Yet you still can't be satisfyed at all? Hell, with that much made, the probability of someone picking up what that group already did and adding the H scenes back raises a lot. Aren't you the selfish princess, nii-chan~

(I've been meaning to tease you since quite some time ago. Hehe, mission complete~)

This is also a bad argument. It's the same strawman Flutterz did without meaning to, except it's the exact opposite. The thing there is that the overall quality increases this way. I'm pretty sure no one here would complain if someone picked Clannad 60 years from now own and added all sorts of incredibly cool effects- this is not what taking out H scenes is. A more fitting example would be someone copying the exact same movie and just taking out a random scene from it, while still kepping it in the 50's quality- I'm pretty sure most people would object to that.

I still can't help but think neither side is right. You're all way too radical about it.

I don't get what you're trying to accomplish with this.

Of course I'm giving credit to the original. I thought any normal person would.

And remake movie is its own original work not a censored version of the original. They are two different things.

You're trying to compare apples to oranges here.

A translation is not a remake, the story is the same, the scenes are the same, and censoring it takes away the experience it was supposed to be originally.

That's what I will never be able to support.

And despite you trying to find logical reasoning to back the fact that h-scenes should be removed, the only reason relevant to you is that you don't like h-scenes and you're saying it's okay to remove them just because you and some others don't like h-scenes, for various reasons. It's as simple as that and I know you've made this point plenty of times before and I know you hate them a lot. 

In my case it's not just because I like h-scenes however, because I admit I do, it's because I hate censorship of any kind and I'm trying to explain why no work should be censored by fans just because they don't like it. In fact i don't even know if i should use the word "fans" here.

I like to have my work unadulterated so i can experience the entirety of it, the way it was intended to be. I don't think this is such an outrageous desire.

Regardless of wether the work has some stuff I don't like or not I'm not the one to judge if it'd be better off without it. If It doesn't have stuff I like then I won't read it, simple right?

I know you really really hate h-scenes.

I also hate a lot of stuff. I absolutely despise rape in eroge for example. I think it's disgusting and I never want to see it because it doesn't turn me on in the slighest.

But it is not my right to judge if the vn would be better off without it. It's just my personal opinion.

The author made it like that for a reason and removing that is taking away the experience it's supposed to give and that is always wrong no matter how I look at it.

As expected from my partner, you have some nice arguments now~

*goes back to playing devil's advocate*

As expected of my partner as well, you've got some pretty high standards, huh. You're basically saying that you need the full experience or else you can't support the release at all, perhaps you'd be better off with the "-hime" than me, really.

Think about it- they're certainly not giving you the full experience when they translate parts of it, but doesn't it seem too radical to just say "oh, a part is missing. Sorry, your efforts are insufficient to please me. Full VN or GTFO."

Why is it that groups that leave a partial patch translating parts of some routes are totally ok but people who leave H-scenes out aren't? I mean, think of it- H scenes are generally just a small part of those VNs (since I'm yet to see a group translate a nukige and leave H scenes out. Unless you're like moenovel, but I'm not going into that now). That means the group successfully delivered you over 90% of the visual novel. Yet you still can't be satisfyed at all? Hell, with that much made, the probability of someone picking up what that group already did and adding the H scenes back raises a lot. Aren't you the selfish princess, nii-chan~

(I've been meaning to tease you since quite some time ago. Hehe, mission complete~)

Oh trust me I'm quite the stubborn type. 

I trust that people who release partials plan on completing the whole thing later. Therefore there's nothing to hate since they're not censoring anything, they're releasing part of it and they plan to release the rest later, they're not taking away anything, they're not falsely advertising.

However when it is not the case I don't support it. Partials that are just partials and the translators don't plan on translating the rest I can't stand it either.

I'll always stand for: I want the whole product.

No matter what.

Sorry if i sound like an arrogant perfectionist. I do understand translating takes effort and i am thankful to translators who put effort into things, but I also am entitled to not enjoy something incomplete.

Why is it that groups that leave a partial patch translating parts of some routes are totally ok but people who leave H-scenes out aren't? I mean, think of it- H scenes are generally just a small part of those VNs (since I'm yet to see a group translate a nukige and leave H scenes out. Unless you're like moenovel, but I'm not going into that now). That means the group successfully delivered you over 90% of the visual novel. Yet you still can't be satisfyed at all? Hell, with that much made, the probability of someone picking up what that group already did and adding the H scenes back raises a lot.

That's an excellent point. 

There's a lot of hate these days aimed at translators and creators in general. A little bit of entitlement I think, a little bit of intolerance, people used to be grateful for anything they got, now if things aren't perfect people start hating or raging. Makes me sad, makes me irritated.

And your point about the translations most likely being finished by someone else via a restoration patch is well made. 

I don't get what you're trying to accomplish with this.

Of course I'm giving credit to the original. I thought any normal person would.

And remake movie is its own original work not a censored version of the original. They are two different things.

You're trying to compare apples to oranges here.

A translation is not a remake, the story is the same, the scenes are the same, and censoring it takes away the experience it was supposed to be originally.

That's what I will never be able to support.

And despite you trying to find logical reasoning to back the fact that h-scenes should be removed, the only reason relevant to you is that you don't like h-scenes and you're saying it's okay to remove them just because you and some others don't like h-scenes, for various reasons. It's as simple as that and I know you've made this point plenty of times before and I know you hate them a lot. 

In my case it's not just because I like h-scenes however, because I admit I do, it's because I hate censorship of any kind and I'm trying to explain why no work should be censored by fans just because they don't like it. In fact i don't even know if i should use the word "fans" here.

I like to have my work unadulterated so i can experience the entirety of it, the way it was intended to be. I don't think this is such an outrageous desire.

Regardless of wether the work has some stuff I don't like or not I'm not the one to judge if it'd be better off without it. If It doesn't have stuff I like then I won't read it, simple right?

I know you really really hate h-scenes.

I also hate a lot of stuff. I absolutely despise rape in eroge for example. I think it's disgusting and I never want to see it because it doesn't turn me on in the slighest.

But it is not my right to judge if the vn would be better off without it. It's just my personal opinion.

The author made it like that for a reason and removing that is taking away the experience it's supposed to give and that is always wrong no matter how I look at it.

Oh trust me I'm quite the stubborn type. 

I trust that people who release partials plan on completing the whole thing later. Therefore there's nothing to hate since they're not censoring anything, they're releasing part of it and they plan to release the rest later, they're not taking away anything, they're not falsely advertising.

However when it is not the case I don't support it. Partials that are just partials and the translators don't plan on translating the rest I can't stand it either.

I'll always stand for: I want the whole product.

No matter what.

I think that any normal person would give more credit to the version he likes more despite if it is original or censored.

As for logical explenation on why should H-scenes be removed there are planty of thouse after all I allredy given a logical explanation why H-scenes shouldn't even exist outise of nukiges in a first place in H-scenes nessesery topic but this dosen't have anything to do with this topic right now.

I am making all thouse arguments here becouse you and some other people in that other topic called translations that cut out H-scenes half-assed and you think that they should be looked down upon  and I want to prove that they are not any less then translations that do H-scenes too. Just as translations that have H-scenes included are ment more for your tastes translations that that cut-out H are ment for our tastes and they are not atleast inferior to translations ment for your tastes.

I do Hate H I Hate it a lot but if people who like H stoped bashing translations that don't have H I would never started this conversation to begin with.

In my limited experiences of playing through VNs, I've come across a few with H-Scenes i'm fine with, and others that I'm not. For those, I simply use CTRL and skip through them. I don't get all up in arms about how something I didn't like was shown, I let it roll off my shoulder and move on. If you're not the one translating, you shouldn't complain too much. Whether they left something in you like, or hate, at the end of the day, you're getting it for free.

You're not forced to play them in the first place, so getting upset or frustrated over it doesn't make sense to me.

I'm not saying the translation is bad because it censors h-scenes. The translation quality can be excellent regardless.

However the fact you're not willing to extend a great translation to a whole work, that's what people called half assed and I dislike them as well because the translators, for some reason, decided to translate an eroge, fully aware it had h-scenes, and decided to remove them because they don't like them.

Certainly a translator is not forced to do what they don't like nor am I saying otherwise. In fact a translator should only translate what they enjoy. But if they don't like h-scenes why did they feel the need to translate  an eroge and then deliver an incomplete product?

Because they liked the story? How is the story being made justice when you're removing chunks of it? You can call h-scenes useless all you want, you can say they add 0 value to the plot, but regardless they were put there originally, they are events that happened in the story, they are an integral part of it and as such deserve a translation as well.

And that's why releasing a translation that removes those scenes because the translator didn't like h-scenes is seen as half assed. Because they set to do something and they didn't feel like completing it because they didn't like it yet at the same time they felt the need to release the rest despite being fully aware the fans probably wanted the eroge as a whole and not censored. That doesn't sit well with me when someone is trying to give me an unfinished product.

At least leave the h-scenes there untranslated if you don't want to translate them. Just don't censor the original work by removing scenes from it. That's all.