Searching for new ones

Doujin13

Im searching for a new Visual novel to play before summer vacation ends here in the Phil. I can only play  those translated to english, so my options kind of limited.

Here's a list of what i've played so far:

1. Deardrops

2. Dra+Koi

3. Grisaia no Kajitsu

4. Hoshizora no Memoria

5. Ikinari Anata ni Koishiteru

6.  If My Heart Had Wings

7. Osananajimi wa Daitouryou

8. Shinigami no Kiss wa Wakare no Aji

so far these are what i've played. Can anyone help, any recommendations? 

Please check the list Rooke mentioned before making recommendation threads.

If you're not looking for any genre in specific then you can find plenty of VNs there. If you want something very specific or you feel like that thread didn't give you what you wanted then you may start a new thread.

What is it you liked about the VNs you've read?

Judging by some of them it would probably be cute moe girls with a well made story and character development.

If that is the case than I would probably recommend Little Busters! - it has a bit slower start but you will not regret in the end.

(If you like H scenes like I do, I would also recommend downloading JP version of the Little Busters EX version and play the H scenes after you finish each route in the fuwa English version as a "reward" - thats what I did and it was great).

And you can test if you like the style of Key by first reading Planetarian, it combines great development and deep character dialogue with cute girls too - like most of the games you've played. And if you enjoy that, you could enjoy other Key works like LB (and rewrite, clannad - although those don't have H, not even in JP expansion).

At least wait for the dude to reply before spruking your favourite VNs, Steve.

That is not how it works, you linked him to the lists that can be helpful but he would have to search and match with computer searches and whatnot.

Asking someone with human brain to look over the VN's you've played and try to look for similarities is much better.

I see that most of the VN's he has played I've either played or planned to play and never got to them, I look at the reason I've liked them and for the reason why I considered playing the ones I didn't play and I try to combine the reasons into a VN I have played and also liked and he hasn't played yet - hence the recommendation of Little Busters is natural one.

So of course if I see someone who likes similar VNs I did, I will also recommend a VN I liked, because a person with similar tastes is more likely to like that VN than a VN I didn't like.

That is how recommendation threads work - lists of VN are very useful to do your own research but having people with feelings and brain look over your list and judge the best next VN is just much better, that's why we encourage recommendation threads as long as they have at least some information to go off. (So unless they are "I like VNs, what to play?" it is a good and productive thread).

That is not how it works, you linked him to the lists that can be helpful but he would have to search and match with computer searches and whatnot.

Asking someone with human brain to look over the VN's you've played and try to look for similarities is much better.

I see that most of the VN's he has played I've either played or planned to play and never got to them, I look at the reason I've liked them and for the reason why I considered playing the ones I didn't play and I try to combine the reasons into a VN I have played and also liked and he hasn't played yet - hence the recommendation of Little Busters is natural one.

So of course if I see someone who likes similar VNs I did, I will also recommend a VN I liked, because a person with similar tastes is more likely to like that VN than a VN I didn't like.

That is how recommendation threads work - lists of VN are very useful to do your own research but having people with feelings and brain look over your list and judge the best next VN is just much better, that's why we encourage recommendation threads as long as they have at least some information to go off. (So unless they are "I like VNs, what to play?" it is a good and productive thread).

Firstly, you're making a key assumption, and that is that he LIKES everything he has read. If you reread the opening post you'll find he hasn't said anything at all.

Secondly, you are making the assumption that he is looking for something similar, and not trying to expand the genres he is reading. 

Thirdly, your list of criteria isn't something you can call a list at all. A 'well made story' is completely subjective, character development is in EVERY VN. Congratulations Steve, you've limited the number of VNs available to every VN ever translated... that has moe girls. A stunning accomplishment.

Fourthly, recommendation threads work best if the thread starter has a SPECIFIC list of characteristics he/she is looking for. If he/she doesn't specify, people will just charge on the thread chucking their favourite VNs at them. And while that may be what the thread starter is looking for, you can make a LIST of these VNS and LINK THEM TO IT when they ask. That will save the same thread happening again and again ad nauseum. ..... Oh look, that's what Down suggested.

That's why recommendation threads are subjective and people will give subjective opinions they think are good - you could have done so yourself instead of just linking to lists and recommend your favorites.

And the person asking will then decide which one of those recommendations are closest to his taste and try it.

So instead of replying to me, reply to the OP with your thoughts so he has more things to choose from, please.

Firstly, you're making a key assumption, and that is that he LIKES everything he has read. If you reread the opening post you'll find he hasn't said anything at all.

Secondly, you are making the assumption that he is looking for something similar, and not trying to expand the genres he is reading. 

I'll have to disagree with you there. When you post a list of what you played and don't say anything at all, you'd expect people will suggest you VNs similar to what's on that list. When someone wants to find something different, they generally post that they want a different type of VN or whatever. 

The thread with the lists are fine for doing your own research, but you can still post whatever personalized thread you want. We're not going to go all nazi on newcomers here. 

If you look at the list of VNs this person has read, he is looking for something quite specific- grisaia aside (which is a great game altogether, so it can kinda please everyone) his list is basically only moege and charage-  He may or may not know the terms, but that's besides the point.

If you're looking for moege and charage, Steve's suggestions aren't bad at all. Hoshimemo and Little Busters are great examples of those. Besides two those (which I would suggest for him) here's a small list of suggestions:

1-Katahane

2-Clannad

3-Yume Miru Kusuri

4-Katawa Shoujo

5-Ef- A fairy tale of the two

Hope you have fun- if you want specific on those VNs, you can check my fifty VNs list, they're all there.

That's why recommendation threads are subjective and people will give subjective opinions they think are good - you could have done so yourself instead of just linking to lists and recommend your favorites.

And the person asking will then decide which one of those recommendations are closest to his taste and try it.

I don't deny any of this, but I do believe you're missing the point of Down's thread Steve. The point of Down's thread was to limit the number of identical recommendation threads appearing, which is what happens when you get multiple threads which are the same. Not bad when you get 1 or 2, annoying when you get 4 or 5 starting to appear. Down was on the ball and posted that thread to preempt the front page filling up with this. 

I'll have to disagree with you there. When you post a list of what you played and don't say anything at all, you'd expect people will suggest you VNs similar to what's on that list. When someone wants to find something different, they generally post that they want a different type of VN or whatever.

A number of people list the VNs/animes they have watched so people won't recommend things they've already seen. Thinking the thread starter wants VNs similar to the ones listed is an assumption you cannot make from the information available.

If you look at the list of VNs this person has read, he is looking for something quite specific- grisaia aside (which is a great game altogether, so it can kinda please everyone) his list is basically only moege and charage-  He may or may not know the terms, but that's besides the point.

You mean a dude with a small list has a lot of titles which belong to the genre with the most number of translated VNs (beside Nukige)? I'm not sure how I'm supposed to respond to this...

His sample size is too small to attribute this to a deliberate style he's after. Especially considering charage dominate translated, plot-related VNs.

A number of people list the VNs/animes they have watched so people won't recommend things they've already seen. Thinking the thread starter wants VNs similar to the ones listed is an assumption you cannot make from the information available.

You mean a dude with a small list has a lot of titles which belong to the genre with the most number of translated VNs (beside Nukige)? I'm not sure how I'm supposed to respond to this...

His sample size is too small to attribute this to a deliberate style he's after. Especially considering charage dominate translated, plot-related VNs.

Yes, I mean it. When you're after action, for example you won't go ahead and read 10 moeges/charages. It doesn't matter how many of them are translated- maybe you'll read one to try it out, but you won't read the exact same thing afterwards if you didn't enjoy it.

If he ended up reading this type of VN by accident and he was frustrated that he couldn't find something else, the topic would be very different. He would either say something like "are there any VNs without X traits", "suggest me a VN that's not like X" or even "why are VNs always like X"- we have plenty of those around, actually. The normal for suggestions threads, when they post what they've read, is that they're looking for something similar to that. Sure he may be an odd one amongst that, but until I have any evidence of that, I'm going to go by the usual.

If you were to look at my list of VNs, you'd find all of the first ones were a bunch of chuuni VNs. Tsukihime, Fate Stay Night, Inganock and everything else that was available at the time, really. There being a bunch of moeges already translated didn't make me go ahead and read them (and why would it?)

If you want to continue the discussion, open a new thread and I'll move the posts there. This isn't the place for it, really.

I see nothing wrong with people recommending visual novels to the OP. I don't know why this thread had to turn into an argument.

Anyways, I recommend Da Capo 1 and Da Capo 2 seeing as how you read a couple other fantasy visual novels.