Your favorite VN protagonists/antagonists

Clephas

• 6 months later...

I know I'm gonna raise a few eyebrows for this, but my favorite protagonist is Emiya Shirou. I found his character story to be really interesting, and I even admired the idealistic traits he displayed. It was interesting to see the changes he went through in HF. Personality-wise, I feel like Shirou's someone I can really respect.

Not sure who to pick for the antagonist, so I'll just go with that old guy in Mankai Chirarism Dai 1 Wa who wears a girls swimsuit and pants on his head. His role as an antagonist was surprisingly complex.

I know I'm gonna raise a few eyebrows for this, but my favorite protagonist is Emiya Shirou. I found his character story to be really interesting, and I even admired the idealistic traits he displayed. It was interesting to see the changes he went through in HF. Personality-wise, I feel like Shirou's someone I can really respect.

Wat.  Of all protagonists, you choose Shirou...it's not so much the fact that he's an idealist that irked me, it's just that his beliefs were so strong they contradicted reality and inconvenienced multiple people.  That, and reading about his idealism is like looking at a train that's obviously going to crash.  It's going to blow up in his face in some point, yet he refuses to see that possibility.  I like flawed protagonists, but his ideals were just too annoying for me to stand.  Apparently he's disliked by a fair amount of people, so the fact that he's your favorite is kinda surprising.

Time to revise my favorite protagonists and antagonists.  Yuuji from Kajitsu is still there, but he is now joined by Kyousuke from G-senjou.  As for antagonists...Houzuki from Sharin no Kuni, without a doubt.

My favourite protagonist would probably be Hisao from Katawa Shoujo. He's a fun and likeable character who we can sympathise with yet admire given his handling of his situation. I actually related to him more than most protagonists because he wasn't as witty as most (didn't follow up every sentence with a quick joke) so following him didn't make me feel so bad about being so socially inept.

Protagonist: Yuuji from Grisaia. He's pretty close to the perfect protagonist for me. Not a pushover (too many to name), but also not a complete asshole (Rance). He also fits my fav male MC template of "fairly indifferent to girls in general (thus avoiding all sorts of awful misunderstandings and awkward moments), but responsive to girls that come onto him (thus still avoiding awful misunderstandings and awkward moments, but still having an interest in girls that deserve it)." His thoughts are always entertaining, interesting and/or unusually logical for a VN protag (which I love). The snarkyness is always welcome too.

Villain - Maou. I always prefer the bishonen smooth criminal to the gruff macho man villain (as far as G-Senjou is concerned it would be Gonzou, whom Maou shits all over as a villain). If Maou was you know who I probably would have liked him even better, but he's still a great villain as is. In fact

when I thought Maou was Kyousuke I wholeheartedly supported him to "win" against Haru (and everyone else). Kind of reminded me of Death Note, where I was behind Light all the way. The character coming up with elaborate schemes is more interesting than the one who "just knows" what's up. Though L was more even with Light, Maou usually had the upper hand. Anyways once I found out it was his brother, I was on the fence because I still liked Maou, but also liked Kyousuke.

Wat.  Of all protagonists, you choose Shirou...it's not so much the fact that he's an idealist that irked me, it's just that his beliefs were so strong they contradicted reality and inconvenienced multiple people.  That, and reading about his idealism is like looking at a train that's obviously going to crash.  It's going to blow up in his face in some point, yet he refuses to see that possibility.  I like flawed protagonists, but his ideals were just too annoying for me to stand.  Apparently he's disliked by a fair amount of people, so the fact that he's your favorite is kinda surprising.

And that's precisely why I like him. His mind was unwavering, and he wouldn't budge no matter how far he was pushed into it. To find a person with that much conviction is a rarity, and a complete breath of fresh air to me. Yeah, he may be a polar opposite to ideal characters like Yuuji, and definitely doesn't fall into the devilishly interesting category like Kyousuke, and I think it's fantastic! He defies extraordinary in an extraordinary way. ^^

I'll be more detailed listing pro/ant's of VNs in the order I've read them:

1. Kono Oozora ni, Tsubasa wo Hirogete

• Protagonist: Minase Aoi - 5/10;;; Typical nice guy.
  • Antagonist: Mr. Tobioka - 0/10;;; Just a nuisance douche teacher.

2. LittleBusters!

• Protagonist: Naoe Riki - 4/10;;; Bland nice guy.
  • Antagonist: Natsume Kyousuke - 7/10;;; Before you know the truth behind his actions you can really feel the tension b/w the group.

3. Rewrite

• Protagonist: Tennouji Kotarou - 6/10 common route; 7/10 terra/moon;;; First protagonist for me that actually had personality.
  • Antagonist: Kashima Sakura, Earth Dragon. 2/10, 5/10 respectively;;; Kashima was pretty out of focus except for Akane's route and then is suddenly the mastermind in Moon though you never see her in action; Earth Dragon was cool and gave off that "ultimate boss that you'll never be able to beat" vibe, but he was just a pawn being controlled by Gaia.

4. Steins;Gate

• Protagonist: Rintarou Okabe - 7/10;;; Loved his Hououin Kyouma mad scientist personality.
  • Antagonist: SERN/Committee of 300 - ???/10;;; Never really get to know about them so I can't judge.

5. Chaos;Head

• Protagonist: Nishijou Takumi - 1/10;;; Sorry, this guy just sucks. You can tell that the writers made Okabe's personality by doing a complete 180 of this guy.
  • Antagonist: Norose Genichi - 1/10;;; Typical big baddy that appears out of nowhere at the end of the story for the epic showdown.

6. Grisaia no Kajitsu

• Protagonist: Kazami Yuuji - 9/10;;; First ever badass and very capable protagonist for me with the best inner monologues.
  • Antagonist: Didn't read Meikyuu/Rakuen yet so idk.

7. G-Senjou no Maou

• Protagonist: Azai Kyousuke - 7/10;;; Has personality, is serious when he needs to be (dealing with Azai Gonzou) and playful when he wants to be (playing God with Eiichi), though I think he becomes really out of character if you go for bad endings of the heroines.
  • Antagonist: Maou - 9/10;;; First ever villain for me that has complete control over the story and reeks charisma.

So I guess favorite protagonist is Yuuji and antagonist Maou. Wouldn't it be nice to see the ever-so-capable Yuuji go against the sly and cunning Maou? xD

EDIT: Oh wow I have the same opinion as hydro haha

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

some of my favorite protags are kyousuke fromg-sensou, cause of his straight personality & definitely how he acts at the end in harus route.
also liked mitsuki from period very much, cause he isnt your dumb protag you find in 90% of the vn´s
same goes for morita kenichi from sharin no kuni

when it comes to the list of favorite antagonists there´re master therion from demonbane, kuki youkou from ayakashibito & michika from imouto paradise, cause she gives me the creeps when i think of her behavior in her route.....

• 2 months later...