youtube - Most random

7 hours ago, Thyndd said:

Saw this one already. (It's the one about dog food, right? Can't watch it now.) To be honest, I'm not convinced this isn't just a clever attempt to bait for the views. We should all probably check it ourselves, and if it works... Well, it seems like the distopian future is actually closer than I thought. :yumiko:

3 hours ago, Dreamysyu said:

Saw this one already. (It's the one about dog food, right? Can't watch it now.) To be honest, I'm not convinced this isn't just a clever attempt to bait for the views. We should all probably check it ourselves, and if it works... Well, it seems like the distopian future is actually closer than I thought. :yumiko:

Yep, that's the video. Nah, I don't think it's fake, but as the author admits himself in a later video, the experiment had two big flaws: after the first ad about dog toys popped up, he clicked on it, thus altering all the following results, and most importantly, he was streaming live on youtube, which means that he essentially agreed on sharing his voice audio publicly. 

I still find it unsettling nonetheless. I seriously doubt that the first ad was just a coincidence, which means that Google is able to process voice in real time and update the information it shows to the user. And, let's be honest, even if Google or Facebook are not constantly listening and sending information (which could be detected using a sniffer), most likely your OS is (which could actually hide that fact so that the only way to know what it's doing would be reverse eng).

Meh, in the end, if you are not a terrorist you probably shouldn't even care, but it's still creepy :leecher:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...