CCCP?

CCCP is a collection of codecs built specially in mind with anime. Or at least, that's what their creators say, since in reality it does not differ that much from any other codec packs, like K-Lite Codec Pack. The only difference is that it is pre-configured to work from the very start, once it's installed and the whole installation process is simplified; perfect for newbies or technologically impaired people, in other words.

You don't need to "use" codec packs. They will work in the background once required - when you'll be either opening the movie and/or audio files which require CCCP codecs to run (such as AVC/MPEG4 .mkv video files).

Just use the MCP-HC, which should be built-in the CCCP, if I remember correctly. I don't use CCCP personally, because I'm more used to K-Lite, but both of them have Media Player Classic Home Cinema onboard. Or at least, it's an optional choice within the download packs.

Don't use any other media players, they suck. Period. VLC is horrible. WMP is shit as well and should be avoided at all costs. There's no point in using anything besides MPC-HC, especially if you're sitting beside your own PC.

That's not how codecs work, they allow you to render videos in a specific format - CCCP seems to break IMHHW in that it causes an error when the OP plays (or right after, I don't really know) and has nothing to do with any kind of player.

It was just important to remove CCCP because it breaks the video playback of the game, which is influenced by installed codec packs - the game and its OP should still run fine without any at all - through its main executable, not through any kind of media player.

How is the OP supposed to run anything, if he propably does not have the codecs properly installed? MPC-HC alone isn't enough to play certain formats. It's just a player that uses the codecs installed within the system to playback files.

Just get the K-lite Standard pack, Kafu. It comes with all the essential codecs + MPC-HC. Once installed, it should work without issues. You don't even need to configure anything. It does not affect other applications. I'm not even sure why CCCP affected IMHHW movie playback in the first place, while it shouldn't; it's propably because your system codecs are seriously messed up or you have a bunch of conflicting ones installed alltogether.

Go to your installed programs, uninstall all the unnecessary trash/codecs/players from your system, install K-Lite Standard and set it to use the built-in MPC-HC during installation. You don't need to do anything else after that. Everything should work perfectly fine. Remember to check and update the codecs from time to time.

It's why I always tell people to stop using all the shitty codec packs, including CCCP. THEY NEVER FUCKING WORK AS INTENDED and always break things, they shouldn't otherwise even come into contact with.

I never had a single issue with K-Lite and I'm using it from years.

without any codecs (except what's included in Windows for example, which would be like DV-AVI or some other dumb old/crappy codecs....) the media player wouldn't have a clue how to decode any of the videos.

Just remove all the random codecs and then install honestly either cccp or k-lite (I'd suggest cccp but w/e) and use the media player. it's not that hard.

I haven't played imhhw but if they use the same codecs that fansubbers usually use (XviD, DviX, H264, ...) then cccp should be able to work but w/e.

but seriously not having any codecs at all would make the media player bork because it can't decode the video.