Pinned VN Reccomendations thread

The man issue with a pinned thread is that you'd potentially have multiple convos going at the same time; not great. The other problem is that recommendations can - and should - be tailored to the person making the request. Nakuya's 50 best list is a fairly good intro fwiw.

A subforum is more interesting now than it was before - the amount of members has increased a decent bit. Stats time!

Looking at the twp first last pages of my new posts I find:

incest vns - 19 replies.

"Looking for some recommendations" - 6 replies

vns with gameplay- 15 replies

erogeeeeeeeee recommendations - 18 replies

yandere vn recomendations - 2 replies

vn recommendations for my brother - 20 replies

The yandere recommendations one did kinda fail, but the others are good. I don't think we have a big issue with threads falling off the first page too fast. Hell, almost all of these are still on the first page!

If you think it's causing clutter, I'm mildly sympathetic as the first page of vn talk has like 1/4 recommendation threads right now. Interesting to note that page 2 only has 1, though. Might just mean mean we hit the top of the poisson distrubution recently (google it and tell me I'm using it wrong w).

This topic was discussed for some time.

Decision was made to leave things as the are right know.

It's not the cleanest way but it's the easiest one.

And as Zaka said, most of the time people get answers.

People are also working on intro projects -or did) for newcomers.

The other issue is with people being way too lazy to use a search function, instead asking the same exact question for the XXXth time and those writing the reccomendation threads being too lazy to tag them properly, making them a lot more harder (or actually impossible) to find (and mostly useless).

Staff should pick the least biased topic, pin it up and add proper tags. It will be much more helpful than any worthless discussions whether something should be done, or not. Mods should know well what stuff they need to do by themselves, instead being asked to.

The other issue is with people being way too lazy to use a search function, instead asking the same exact question for the XXXth time and those writing the reccomendation threads being too lazy to tag them properly, thus making them a lot more harder (or actually impossible) to find.

Yeah I agree with that, many people also are too lazy to actually look around a little.

Staff should pick the least biased topic, pin it up and add proper tags. It will be much more helpful than any worthless discussions whether something should be done, or not. Mods should know well what stuff they need to do by themselves, instead being asked to.

We just can't pin that many thread. 4 in ideal, 6-7 at most would be the number of threads that should be pinned for a single section.

There's a plan to make an index thread to regroup links to various recommendation threads, and the project for the VN beginner kit.

And here's this topic again.

I already voiced my opinions in the previous topic, if anything should be done about recommendation threads it's a subforum.

If not, then leave it as is.

It would keep the vn discussion forum clean. And since people are usually lazy to search for threads with the same subject at least here they'd have a place to ask freely about any recommendations they want without feeling concerned about spam.

Pinning a thread will bring up more issues than it will do good in my opinion for the reasons already stated above.

Yeah, I completely agree about the subforum.

If it were my forum, there'd be 3 subdivisions under VN discussion

One for general VN-related topics

One for recommendation threads, where the title always includes the attributes you're looking for not just "recommend me a VN"

And One for discussing specific VNs, where anyone who starts a thread does so with the VN title (or series title if it is part of a series)

If you're too lazy to even choose and pin a proper thread (single, best one; not X threads), then write a proper guideline for the new users and learn them to use search functions properly. Make it BOLD, and force them to read the guideline before joining/making an account so they understand we all value knowledge and reliable people.

You guys are so useless, it makes me want to go all tsun on you.

ə_ə

If you're too lazy to even choose and pin a proper thread (single, best one; not X threads), then write a proper guideline for the new users and learn them to use search functions properly. Make it BOLD, and force them to read the guideline before joining/making an account so they understand we all value knowledge and reliable people.

You guys are so useless, it makes me want to go all tsun on you.

ə_ə

We already had the discussion on which was better, a subforum, a pinned thread or leave it as is currently

It was agreed that it would be better to leave it as is as there wasn't enough recommendation threads that would justify a new subforum and a pinned thread for recommendations would be more confusing than it would be helpful. So asking for recommendations would be left alone in the vn discussion subforum.

And I don't see how this makes us useless, we had a discussion about it and decided on a path at the time. Members voiced their opinion and that's how things ended. Sorry the way things now aren't the way you want them to be but no need to make comments like that.

I'm not even sure how can you find some subforum burried somewhere on the website useful for newcomers. If chosing a single good thread out of the bunch of those we already have is too hard for the staff, I don't see any possibility for these forums to get any better than the way they currently are. If anything, things will only get more messy and cluttered as more users will join and start posting the same exact questions.

Don't start a thread. Just pin the one you have. It does not matter if others who wrote similiar threads will feel "insulted", or whether you particullary don't find it useful yourself. A pinned, well-written thread is a lot better than thousands of threads in some sort of a dedicated subforum. It also makes much easier for the rest of users, since they can later add to it/readjust a pinned thread, not to even mention forwarding those looking for easily approachable information. Don't force them to bury through the forums to get to the knowledge they seek, it's repulsing and definately won't bring you new users; if anything they will find the forums "messy" and won't ever come back.

Remember, the point of general recommendations is not for letting people to discuss them; it's to guide and help the newcomers/people interested with a particular topic in mind. Best pinned threads are usually either closed or havily moderated - it is a lot easier to manage them this way than a whole subforum of people asking for the same exact thing. Subforum is a very bad way of dealing with such issue, since after a while you will get more and more of those "ask/recommend" threads and they will often overlap and repeat, over and over again. It will bloat and clutter the forum DB and in time, make the ehole subforum a complete, unusable mess. The only reedemable thing in subforum is the fact it is indeed the "easiest" way to deal with the issue - a path of least effort, or so to speak.

Don't start a thread. Just pin the one you have.

But what thread are you talking about? The idea of recommendation threads is to make recommendations tailored to the person asking, not to repeat the same thing over and over again. Unspecific recommendation threads can be avoided by making a pinned thread linking to some lists like Clephas' and some existing rec thread, sure - and it will be done. That doesn't rule out someone looking for something more specific, that hasn't been covered yet.

As I already explained a lot in the other topic we had about this:

Recommendation topics are very personal and so selecting few that were "similar" doesn't really work.

One person might want romance with sister incest, next person might want romance with sister incest but only imouto, not neesan sister. And those are already different.

That is why we encourage people to start their own topic and explain exactly what they want from a VN and people will help them find it.

Sure it might look similar to you but to the person starting the topic it is important that people replying focus on the aspects HE wants and not just list "generally good" VNs.

And since this was already discussed and decision was made, I will be locking this topic.

PS: Tay is making a guide for a complete newbies which will basically be listing generally good VNs and helping people pick - that will be pinned.