Youtube project

So, I'm thinking of starting this project, I have no experience editing, but I've been practicing these last couple days, by the time this becomes a thing (if it does) I should be able to edit decently,

but to make this a thing, feedback seems necessary.

So to start off, If we make the fuwa google account active, what would we upload?

I take it, we can upload reviews, in this case we do reviews would people watch a video with words only, or would they expect audio commentary?

We can make video versions of blog posts, not that good of an idea, but a mind-storm is always welcome.

We can (if a translator is found) translate  PVs and Openings of incoming releases.

And so on, feel free to leave feedback or to turn this down in the spot. I guess it would be rather hard to get views, but since FB has over 10,000 likes, this worth a shot.

Audio commentary is the minimum required for reviews and things of the same nature.

It'd be an interesting project but i'm not sure how much work it'd take and what kind of content can be produced. You could upload the podcast on YouTube with subtitles for example.

It sounds interesting so i'd personally support it but don't make an account before getting at least admin aproval since you're using fuwa's name.

Audio commentary is the minimum required for reviews and things of the same nature.

It'd be an interesting project but i'm not sure how much work it'd take and what kind of content can be produced. You could upload the podcast on YouTube with subtitles for example.

It sounds interesting so i'd personally support it but don't make an account before getting at least admin aproval since you're using fuwa's name.

I know, but Tay said there's already one. So all that's there is to get approval, ideas, popularity and conquer.

(Yes, we do in fact have a youtube account! We've got keys to it and everything.)

Yeah, absolutely -- if people are interested in producing videos to post to the YT account, why not? We'd promote them on FB and/or the blog, etc. Video reviews are a good idea, playthroughs can be popular, Fuwa propaganda... the list goes on and on.

What ideas do you/others have? Do you have ideas for specific videos yet?

It sounds interesting but I'd like to know something: imagine I make a F/SN video review and send it to you guys, would it be uploaded or you would only upload the videos made by Fuwa's reviewer(s)?

That's a nice question, Fuwa's made by the community so anyone would be welcome I think. On the other hand there should be a certain criteria for what is and is not uploaded. I think this should be discussed.

The playthrought idea is great, but would it be for the entire game or just some kind of peek into the game? There are certain things like getting all ends and such, VN readers should be able to get to their own ending, so this goes agaisnt this idea in case the whole game is covered, but of course some people don't mind.

Entertaining playthroughs aren't as easy to make as they sound.

As for video reviews Ashadow700 is doing some on his channel, you could contact him and maybe work together.

Remember that making a video requires lots of preparation ^^

I've actually been thinking of posting videos that solely focus on vn's. Whether its blind playthroughs (I think the people who would be interested in this are people who've already played the vn and wants to see someone else experience with it.), reviews, Q&A, maybe some short gameplay of certain novels, podcasts, etc etc.

Some would have to be done with just audio. I have some editing skills so I could add visuals to make it somewhat more interesting and make them short.

videos like, "Top 10 Romance Visual Novels of the Year" or "Upcoming Horror Visual Novels for 2015" or "Visual Novels Translated in 2014" might be nice

then give them names like, FuwaCharts, FuwaTracker, FuwaReviews, FuwaLolis, Fuwatever

We can (if a translator is found) translate  PVs and Openings of incoming releases.

this is a really great idea as well, although some companies are strict about sharing their games' content, so they block uploads of their openings/endings on YouTube. As for PVs, I think it's safe to translate and reupload them.

I was thinking that we could have translations for the openings and endings (and even typeset texts), then add pretty karaoke lyrics for YouTube upload. Then if someone picks up that VN for a TL project, they would be able to use those translated videos for their projects so they wouldn't need to look for extra people.

it might also be nice to see some fan made videos like AMVs, but for Visual Novels. Although that might be a bit hard since one needs the extracted game images to make something decent out of it.

Instead of playthrought we can make "an introduction to X" and explain more about the game instead of showing a peek at the prologue.

The idea came to me while I was playing Kara no Shoujo, it would more or less go like this.

1. Small peek at prologue.
  2. Summary of plot.
  3. Peek at other things that make that certain VN special (gameplay, characters, soundtrack, whatever it may be).

That's what I had in mind, basically having a reviewish recommendation instead of a playthrought. What would make it different from a review? The length of video and the way the topics on it are told.

Yep : ) Lots of potential! The issue, as you pointed out, is time. These videos take a lot of time to prep, record and edit. In the past, when people did want to make videos for the site, they'd jump in with enthusiasm and then start to flail after they realized it can take >10 hours for a 40 minute video. At that point they'd rather post it to their personal channels than give it to Fuwa. 

If people make the videos, and they're good, we'll highlight them across the site -- regardless if it's in our channel or not. A rising tide lifts all boats. More cool VN content = more places to introduce/attract newcomers to VNs.

I believe we should set a limit to the length of the videos. Something like 10-15 mins.

One thing I know from experience is that overly long reviews tend to get tedious after some time and you just lose interest in listening to the review because it's taking forever to explain every single bit.

Something like this should be dynamic and not take too long while at the same time cover every essential point. Something that gets you to want to watch the review as well as play the novel, not a technical review filled with long insights on every aspect which can get tedious. The purpose of these videos is to get you to read the novel, not  drive you away from it.

Of course there can still be full reviews and in this case a longer timespan is required.

What i'm saying is something like "Should you read <novel title>?" and in the video make a brief and concise evaluation/first impression/overlook of the novel so people can watch it if they're wondering wether or not it's worth it for them.

I believe we should set a limit to the length of the videos. Something like 10-15 mins.

One thing I know from experience is that overly long reviews tend to get tedious after some time and you just lose interest in listening to the review because it's taking forever to explain every single bit.

Something like this should be dynamic and not take too long while at the same time cover every essential point. Something that gets you to want to watch the review as well as play the novel, not a technical review filled with long insights on every aspect which can get tedious. The purpose of these videos is to get you to read the novel, not  drive you away from it.

Of course there can still be full reviews and in this case a longer timespan is required.

What i'm saying is something like "Should you read <novel title>?" and in the video make a brief and concise evaluation/first impression/overlook of the novel so people can watch it if they're wondering wether or not it's worth it for them.

Fair point, I was thinking of 2-4 minutes because we're aiming at people that don't read VN actively and thus won't watch a long video for lack of interest. But people that are already interested will stay around the whole review, that's where the difference I talked about should come in handy.

Whatever time you see more fitting but I believe 2-4 minutes might be too little. Of course i'm not saying it has to be 10-15 mins long, i'm saying it should cap at that and not be any longer than that.

And this is just for this "series" of quick reviews or whatever you wish to call it.

You could maybe do a weekly or bi-weekly (every 2 weeks) video for it.

I can help you make a poll on facebook even for the people to vote on what novel they want to hear about :)

And you should also set a consistent format to the videos so people who start subscribing start getting into the format. That's how you build an audience~

This is just an idea for an on-going series you could have on the channel by the way. I think people like consistent uploads.

There can be other videos that don't have a fixed schedule though. Reviews are one case. The long thorough ones.

You can upload the podcasts too as i've said.

You  can do vn news too. Like a 2-4 min video every week perhaps with some vn news people might find interesting.

The possibilities are endless. You should probably get some more people to help you too :P

I don't mind helping but I don't have video editing software.

Well, if we're trying to get people interested we have to make them want more, after thinking how long the prologue peek would take to be to make sense, the time would have to increase, but if edited well, the rest shouldn't take much time even if well-explained

About getting more people, I agree, knowing me, I wouldn't do much without someone whipping me around, so volunteers are more than welcome.

You don't exactly need to show them the prologue itself.

What I think might work is someone speaking over pre recorded footage of the vn. 

Of course this pre recorded footage will match what they are saying. So for example if they are talking about the characters you will show footage of the charcter you're talking about. You should also stop talking for a while to let them hear what the character sounds like.

The story can be summarized by you instead of having you show the novel playing because there's some reallyyy long prologues (kono oozora, hoshimemo, etc.).

This way the whole thing becomes more compact and dynamic. 

If what we're trying to achieve is a quick review then a playthrough style will most likely not work with a vn because of the length of it so it's better to have pre recorded moments of the best bits and put them all together while you speak over it.

Playthrough style works with interactive games, just look at Total Biscuit to get an idea. But for vns not so much.

If you're going with playthrough style you're better off just doing playthrough videos really. I just don't think the playthrough format works well for this purpose.

You don't exactly need to show them the prologue itself.

What I think might work is someone speaking over pre recorded footage of the vn. 

Of course this pre recorded footage will match what they are saying. So for example if they are talking about the characters you will show footage of the charcter you're talking about. You should also stop talking for a while to let them hear what the character sounds like.

The story can be summarized by you instead of having you show the novel playing because there's some reallyyy long prologues (kono oozora, hoshimemo, etc.).

This way the whole thing becomes more compact and dynamic. 

If what we're trying to achieve is a quick review then a playthrough style will most likely not work with a vn because of the length of it so it's better to have pre recorded moments of the best bits and put them all together while you speak over it.

Playthrough style works with interactive games, just look at Total Biscuit to get an idea. But for vns not so much.

If you're going with playthrough style you're better off just doing playthrough videos really. I just don't think the playthrough format works well for this purpose.

I insist we don't add voices in this case, even if it is more compact what we need in order to attract people is charisma, having a charismatic voice takes a lot more of skill than adding text with a catchy song in the background.

As for the playthrough, that's not what I'm going for. Take that scene before the opening in LB! now we give it enough context and end the scene after Kyousuke says "We'll call ourselves Little Busters!" and keep some cliffhanger aura to it, this won't work with many scenes, though.

You don't need to have a charismatic voice.

But no voice at all can get really boring really quickly.

You can have dandere charisma :lol:

But that's like what you said at the end. It won't work for every vn. That's why you need a solid format that does.

My idea is a quick review kind of thing that gives the viewer the essentials about the novel and then lets them judge wether or not they want to read it. I do understand charisma is hard to have but it's better than no voice at all in my opinion.

Besides this would be mostly scripted not improvised.

Not saying we can't do yours though. We can always separate things. Like I said this is just an idea, there can be more than 1 project on going.

Also remember that a review is different from an introduction to the vn. The difference is small but none the less there.

A review is more opinionated with maybe some facts thrown in there, such as "The user interface for 'Maji de Watashi ni Koishinasai' is huge, almost disorientatingly so. But that just means each individual reader can tweak the novel to his or her liking. Plus there is a tab for each part of the game you would like to adjust such as system, sound, and key config. I personally don't mess with the U.I. I mean, I sometimes get lost just trying to get out of my own bed in the morning. What makes you think I could possibly navigate that?"

An introduction is letting the viewers know what kind of feeling the novel has so the viewer can judge on their own whether or not the vn is worth checking out.

Also a review needs to let the viewers know whether or not you recommend it.

But that's like what you said at the end. It won't work for every vn. That's why you need a solid format that does.

My idea is a quick review kind of thing that gives the viewer the essentials about the novel and then lets them judge wether or not they want to read it. I do understand charisma is hard to have but it's better than no voice at all in my opinion.

Not saying we can't do yours though. We can always separate things. Like I said this is just an idea, there can be more than 1 project on going.

I have to agree with Nosebleed here as reviews and playthroughs without voice can get incredibly boring in a matter of minutes.

In my opinion, the ideal time for a review would be between 5-10 minutes. That amount of time gives you the chance to fully explain the highlights of the VN/game without boring the viewers.

Regarding the voice matter, you could make something like auditions for those interested (myself included) and decide if you think one of them is the most suited for the job.

Well 100% scripted, not mostly.

I'm gonna say it again but this will have to be thoughtfully prepared.

Another thing is the fact that it's not review you should be doing. The video should absolutely not be biased.

It should point out objectively what could attract or not a player but not boldly state that X game is really good for example.

As for the voice, I think a good mic and basic proper pronouciation would be better.

A 10 minute video would be the best. A little less if possible.