A VN request about the slightly extra-ordinary

torbin12

I was wondering if anybody knew about any decent VN's that deal with basically normal settings (IE: School, Regular type work, etc) that have aspects that should seem supernatural (read as 'Something outside of the Natural World', not as something fantastic or mystical) or extraordinary (read as 'Something that is not ordinary', not as something wondrous or amazing) but in the VN, it is normal, accepted, or seemingly commonplace, IE: A normal school life setting, but with various types of; Elves, Magicians, Demons, Ghosts, etc. walking around as normal students, teachers, and/or citizens. A decent example of this, I think, would be Shuffle. A mostly normal school setting, but with Demons and Gods attending school, owning real estate, going to convenience stores, etc.

The setting doesn't have to be a school, that is just a widely-used setting in VNs, so makes it easier to use as an example. I do not, however, mind if it is a school setting at all, that is fine. It doesn't have to be normal world, per se, IE: It could be a Magic School, it could be a School for Monsters, as long as the focus is on the less fantastic parts of it, if that makes any sense. Basically, I am not necessarily looking for wildly fantastic magical battles, or brutal monster v monster action, etc. Although, again, I do not mind if that is the case.

I would prefer it to be at least slightly Romance skewed. H-content is not an issue, although I do not prefer nukige, in the slightest. I do not mind if it has no H-content. I do not mind if it does, this is a non-issue for me, as long as it's not nukige, or goes over-board with a H-scene every 10 minutes.

Although it shows my closed-mindedness (gomen :( ) I do not like Otome games, or BL games, I would prefer it to be a male protagonist and female heroines (if romance is existent in the VN) Although, heroines that are....not quite gender specific is fine, if you know what I mean :lol:, and if you don't, then that is fine too :P And it does not mean Androgynous (read here as Lacking specific Male or Female gender qualities)

Whew, sorry for the wall of text, I know it seems like it may come off as if I am asking for something specific, however, I am not. These are not all necessities, I just thought it would be better to flesh out the request a little, instead of just saying something like 'Give me a good one, but none of this'

Magus Tale, Ima mo Itsuka mo Faluna Luna, Suzunone 7, Kamikaze ☆ Explorer!, Dracu-Riot, Tenshi no Hane wo Fumanaide, Sukimazakura to Uso no Machi, the Tiny Dungeon series, Ayakashibito, Evolimit (if you don't mind settings that are somewhat out there), Primary ~Magical★Trouble★Scramble~, Ryuuyoku no Melodia -Diva with the blessed dragonol-, 77(セブンズ) ~And, two stars meet again~. Those are the ones that come to me off the top of my head. Ayakashibito and Evolimit are both action-centric, just to warn you.

Edit: None of these are translated, incidentally

Magus Tale, Ima mo Itsuka mo Faluna Luna, Suzunone 7, Kamikaze ☆ Explorer!, Dracu-Riot, Tenshi no Hane wo Fumanaide, Sukimazakura to Uso no Machi, the Tiny Dungeon series, Ayakashibito, Evolimit (if you don't mind settings that are somewhat out there), Primary ~Magical★Trouble★Scramble~, Ryuuyoku no Melodia -Diva with the blessed dragonol-, 77(セブンズ) ~And, two stars meet again~. Those are the ones that come to me off the top of my head. Ayakashibito and Evolimit are both action-centric, just to warn you.

Edit: None of these are translated, incidentally

Thanks for the list, as I said in a different post, which of course you wouldn't necessarily be aware of, I am thinking of beginning working with text-hooker/translation aggregator software soon, so them not being translated is fine.

That being said, if I recall correctly, Dracu-Riot is in the process of being translated, I think I remember seeing it, somewhere deep in the winding maze of Fuwanovel, which I get lost in happily for days at a time, although, I may be completely wrong.

I'd seriously push Suzunone, Kamikaze, Tenshi no Hane, and the Tiny Dungeon series... not to mention Ayakashibito and Evolimit. The first three seem to meet your standards perfectly, the Tiny Dungeon ones in their own way, and the last two are just awesome games. Dracu-riot was good but not great and Whirlpool's games tend to imitate one another very strongly in both in visual style and general plot flow. On the bright side, there are lots of 'twin heroines both love the protagonist' endings in Whirlpool games, for people who have that fetish, haha...

I was wondering if anybody knew about any decent VN's that deal with basically normal settings (IE: School, Regular type work, etc) that have aspects that should seem supernatural (read as 'Something outside of the Natural World', not as something fantastic or mystical) or extraordinary (read as 'Something that is not ordinary', not as something wondrous or amazing) but in the VN, it is normal, accepted, or seemingly commonplace...

Some stuff in English that you might enjoy:

* Edelweiss, and its fan disc Eiden Phantasia. A funny-and-serious story about an isolated academy with a lot of secrets. I purchased Mangagamer's first version, which had typos and some glaring errors (such as mistakes with the word "homunculus"). Fortunately, the company created a patch for early adopters that improves dialogue and reduces errors. Their current version of Edelweiss is pre-patched and easier to recommend. Unless you have an aversion to PC game discs, get the DVD-ROM, since it contains the original VN and the fan disc, and has no DRM.

* Sakura Wars (5): So Long My Love. This Playstation2 game was the last numbered entry in the series, and the only one so far with an English translation. For most of the people in the game's world, the year is 1928, and steam-powered technology is fairly common. The main characters work in Broadway theater, but they're actually an alternate police force who use hot blood and steam mechs to defeat over-the-top villains.

* Bloody Bride Imadoki no Vampire. A fish-out-of-water story about a vampire guy who enters the real world, and has to endure high school as a rite-of-passage. This is a Playstation game from 1996... a long-forgotten era when there was more than one or two stat-driven romance games per year. It was translated by fans in 2003, back when the VN fan translation scene barely existed.

* A Midsummer Day's Resonance. This freeware kinetic novel was translated in 2005 by the now-inactive group Insani. It starts out in a seemingly ordinary world, but the main character learns a lot of things through the story, which is only about an hour long. Highly recommended.

* Ewe of the Falklands. Haven't heard of this freeware VN? Its plot is summarized as "You are a pacifist sheep trying to stop the Falklands War in the 1980s." Its VNDB tags include Nonsense, Photographic Sprites/Backgrounds, and Lots of Choices. Created by TerrorBull Games, a group best known for its satirical indie games.