Hmm... It looks like are some .ks files that are also encrypted, I was trying to take a look to the script of some Orcsoft's games and even when the files were .ks (and not .ks.scn), they look unreadable in notepad++

I used Animed KAG3 decompression and all its variants but the result is the same, maybe they just use some own algorithm for the crypt, but because I'm not very pro with this I can't find a way to get access to the script.

I just hope some good willed hackers do something about it to help us, every new tool released is like a open door for a translation group to start something.

Steins;Gate. Mhmm. Which version of Steins;Gate is that? I've found that none the usual extractors work with the official english version (JAST's release).

It's the JAST version. It's the official one now so I'm trying to make things work with it. Since asmodean's tool doesn't work and arc_conv seems to support the format I'm giving it a try.

It looks he wants to repack files back into an .npa file. Unfortunately, arc_conv does not seem to support repacking of the npa_sg format right now (see here and here).

No, I'd like to unpack the .npa. I just can't figure out how to correctly write down the command.

Hmm... It looks like are some .ks files that are also encrypted, I was trying to take a look to the script of some Orcsoft's games and even when the files were .ks (and not .ks.scn), they look unreadable in notepad++

I used Animed KAG3 decompression and all its variants but the result is the same, maybe they just use some own algorithm for the crypt, but because I'm not very pro with this I can't find a way to get access to the script.

I just hope some good willed hackers do something about it to help us, every new tool released is like a open door for a translation group to start something.

That may still come from the unpacker.

You have to be sure the tool supports the format with the game's engine.

Usually when this is the case, other files aren't properly readable either (pictures and music).

If the unpacker isn't the problem then I have absolutely no clue :(

It's the JAST version. It's the official one now so I'm trying to make things work with it. Since asmodean's tool doesn't work and arc_conv seems to support the format I'm giving it a try.

No, I'd like to unpack the .npa. I just can't figure out how to correctly write down the command.

To extract with a particular archive type for arc_conv, you should be using the --fmt option, not the --pack option since that is repacking.

It might be due to some sort of difference in the archive format, which might explain why it's not working with existing tools.

I'd like to unpack the .npa. I just can't figure out how to correctly write down the command.

arc_conv.exe --fmt npa_sg "c:\wherever-the-file-is\file.npa"

Works fine with the japanese version, but not the english version. And I get the exact same result with exsgnpa. Like binaryfail said, I think JAST changed something.

arc_conv.exe --fmt npa_sg "c:\wherever-the-file-is\file.npa"

Works fine with the japanese version, but not the english version. And I get the exact same result with exsgnpa. Like binaryfail said, I think JAST changed something.

Yup it's not working with JAST. Always these damn uselss c or s files.

It seems the problem I had is that I was writing down an output directory.

Edit : Confirmed that asmodean's method and arc_conv are both working with the Jap version. Gotta edit now : D

That may still come from the unpacker.

You have to be sure the tool supports the format with the game's engine.

Usually when this is the case, other files aren't properly readable either (pictures and music).

If the unpacker isn't the problem then I have absolutely no clue :(

The engine that game uses is kirikiri (since It has xp3 files).

This time when I tried the "XP3Viewer.exe method" to decompress data.xp3, since I have the same bad result with the others methods, now I can see the images files well, and even hear the sounds, however the scenario and system files seems to be still unreadable  :(

I guess there's still something left to do, maybe a xor decryption? I don't really know  :unsure:

The engine that game uses is kirikiri (since It has xp3 files).

This time when I tried the "XP3Viewer.exe method" to decompress data.xp3, since I have the same bad result with the others methods, now I can see the images files well, and even hear the sounds, however the scenario and system files seems to be still unreadable  :(

I guess there's still something left to do, maybe a xor decryption? I don't really know  :unsure:

I don't know if this helps, but I found this tool somebody made for editing the .ks files for Fate/Stay Night. Maybe you could use it for this as well?. [link] (download link is at the bottom)

I don't know if this helps, but I found this tool somebody made for editing the .ks files for Fate/Stay Night. Maybe you could use it for this as well?. [link] (download link is at the bottom)

That tool may work if the script was already legible, however it still shows the crypted .ks file, thanks anyway.
Now I tried the XOR Bruteforce bytes decrypt feature of Animed wishing to have luck but, well, still no results.

• 2 weeks later...

Can you give some examples, I really don't want to download the whole game to get at the files. If you could post one or two (which shouldn't be against the rules, you really need at least one sample for people to check, but I don't know about the rules here), then it'd help a lot.

Can you give some examples, I really don't want to download the whole game to get at the files. If you could post one or two (which shouldn't be against the rules, you really need at least one sample for people to check, but I don't know about the rules here), then it'd help a lot.

Some examples ? You mean images illustrating what is happening ?

I could do that.

And every single VN that is mentionned in "Works with" or in green in the VN section have been tested already, would it be by me or any other contributing member mentionned at the bottom of the post.

And saying you don't want to download the whole game is a little strange. In most case, sprites/backgrounds/soundtrack/... amount for 90 to 95% or the game's weight. So you better download the game directly.

And also, occasionnaly, the extractors need the exe to work.

No I mean some files, examples of what you're saying is encrypted. If you look at places like Xentax which are basically designed to do this sort of work (and I recommend you post over there as well to see if they can do it), the first thing you need to do is post some example files, otherwise people can't examine them and can't help you.

Oh you mean giving people content to hack ?

For example : I don't/can't find a tool to hack. I give the game name and the file and wait for people to find out the trick to hack or create an extraction tool ? (basiclly)

And Xentax may not be a good idea since every illegal activity seems to be banned now.

It's not illegal... It's a forum for researching file formats. Unpacking archives, exporting models/textures etc.

Anyway I just saw, Fuwanovel itself has released an English patch for Steins;Gate... So there's absolutely someone here who knows how it works, and that's Nagato. Did you try to contact him? Or ask Blick Winkel.

I haven't yet. I'll do that tonight or tomorrow then. Thanks a lot for the recommandation then =).

And yes, if I recall correctly, reserve engineering isn't legal (Depending on the country), And the recent news on their frontpage states that they don't want to deal will illegal things.

I don't care about that, but they may, maybe ... I don't know I'll give it a shot anyway.

And fuwanovel shouldn't have any english patch for Steins;gate, where did you find that ?

Edit : I have to pay to register on their forums ... =/ That's not going to happen.

Unless someone has an account there and is okay to talk either on my behalf or to spread them the word about this project so I can directly contact some people.

Ahem. Reverse engineering is legal. On the other hand, if you disassemble proprietary code and simply copy-paste it to your project, there might be problems.

But if you're using it purely as reference to write documentation of the process, then somebody else writes code based on this documentation, it is 100% legal.

Personally, I do not disassemble code at all. All I do is inspect data structures in HEX editor and writing my own code which parses them and attempts to decode/re-encode and reassemble. Many people consider this type of reversing very basic and cumbersome. I find it entertaining, even though it makes me impossible to hack something as hard as RealLive/Siglus.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Stupid question. Is repacking an archive with AE as simple as just selecting create from files/directory and then saving the file or is it way more complicated than that?

So far every game I've thrown at it has worked for extraction, but I wanted to try repacking a modified archive to see if it would work and I got an error when running the VN. The one I repacked was all the original unmodified files.

• 3 weeks later...

Blake, yes, this is how it's supposed to work. If you have problems with the game, please tell which one it is, as not every engine was 100% reversed. Sometimes it's impossible to generate byte-identical archives even with using of original extracted files, as they may implement protections or hidden fields which AE may possibly ignore when extracting data. Each such case must be studied with high precision.

Blake, yes, this is how it's supposed to work. If you have problems with the game, please tell which one it is, as not every engine was 100% reversed. Sometimes it's impossible to generate byte-identical archives even with using of original extracted files, as they may implement protections or hidden fields which AE may possibly ignore when extracting data. Each such case must be studied with high precision.

Hinatabokko. Sorry my bad.