Distributing visual novels in other languages

I'm thinking of expanding to other languages, particularly Chinese.

Why Chinese?

.... well, there's a huge market for Chinese translations. it is several times bigger than the English VN scene, and because people who can read Chinese who live in the West, do not necessarily subscribe to chinese translation news sites or browse their forums. (such as myself)

ill need to find a way to slot them onto the site in a way that doesnt overcrowd the browse section.... some way to slot them in as neatly as possible...

i wonder how to do it?

I don't know how the Page works, but I thinking putting a Chinese Version, and English Version Download Link is Enough, also, Putting a Translation to Chinese for the whole web would be the perfect idea, but that's quite difficult.

If you can do it, try to make something like a Tag that goes in the IMG of the Browse page that signals in which languages the VN is, such as a USA Flag for eng and a China Flag for chinese and the flag appears in a corner of the img. I think there is something that you can make about it. But I dont know how to XDDD

You, thinking about adding patches other language patches to the current pages with english downloads on fuwanovel? Or making new sections with preinstalled chinese versions, german etc?

I thinkt its fine just adding new links to the current pages.

But for people who only would like chinese versions a flag button as Tromend says is a good idea.

Also kinda makes me wonder if how many who can read chinese who would visit this site also can read english.

Exactly, Bolverk said something I forgot, The Chines Community for VN's probably cant Speak, Read or Talk English, that's why having the Page in Chinese Would be an AWESOME feature so the community will grow much more, obviously I cant say that You have to make the entire page in Chinese Lang.

I had an Idea in the meantime of writing this, Why don't You do this? You Make 2 Versions for the "Browse" and "Otome" Sections in Fuwan, One is the actual English Version, that is the Important one for the web, and also there is a Button in Which you can change it to a "Completely Chinese Browse Page" In other words, a simple button to change the language of only the browse page, which enables you to enter the completly chinese browsing page or otome page, obviously all contents in that page would be on chinese and the games that show up in that one would have their description, comments and all in Chionese (Whitout having to change anything from the Prime web in ENG, just an ADDON to say it in another way)

With my recent infiltration of the Russian VN scene, I can pretty confidently say that the Russian VN fans have their own (impressive) networks, and that our resources may be better spent with languages like Chinese.

Alsoi The Spanish Community is less than Tiny, It's almost nonexistent, just a bunch of the most classic and most played VN's are on Spanish and the TL is as bad as Going To google and copy paste what it says ¬¬UU My Prime Lang is Spanish, I know about it .-.UU

I had an Idea in the meantime of writing this, Why don't You do this? You Make 2 Versions for the "Browse" and "Otome" Sections in Fuwan, One is the actual English Version, that is the Important one for the web, and also there is a Button in Which you can change it to a "Completely Chinese Browse Page" In other words, a simple button to change the language of only the browse page, which enables you to enter the completly chinese browsing page or otome page, obviously all contents in that page would be on chinese and the games that show up in that one would have their description, comments and all in Chionese (Whitout having to change anything from the Prime web in ENG, just an ADDON to say it in another way)

soungs good, I like it. We could have it just for Chinese and add the less popular language patches on the game pages. German, spanish, etc. If we do this not sure if we should have the chinese version there too. They have their own "site" so to speak. But some might not find the button.

Well It just struck me, how many Chinese use google translator on the sites ^^ Some might. If they do that, they would ignore the button and not find the patch and get confused. lol.

If we make it Easy to Find such as, putting instead of a button a Menu when you put the cursor on the Browse Tab that shows an English option and a Chinese option and THEN you enter the page itself, maybe .-.U? I don't know it just came, XDDD

EDIT: Also, Putting a Banner in the Main Page Such as "English and Chinese Browse Pages :D" or such could help too .-.UU... maybe?

It's mostly for people to access the chinese fan translated ones if there isn't an english available (if english is their favoured language)

there's a TON of VNs that have got chinese translations but no english.

yea still thinking about the implementation. thx for the ideas~

With my recent infiltration of the Russian VN scene, I can pretty confidently say that the Russian VN fans have their own (impressive) networks, and that our resources may be better spent with languages like Chinese.
Do you by that mean:

-that there are Russian sites already out there that cater to spreading these Japanese style VNs to a Russian audience?

(in which case maybe we should affiliate ourselves with them?)

OR

-that there is such a thing as "a Russian VN", which is completely different to the VNs that we know of?

(in which case please link as I would love to have a look!)

EDIT: Also, Putting a Banner in the Main Page Such as "English and Chinese Browse Pages :D/>" or such could help too .-.UU... maybe?
I support this idea. Corporate websites represent this by having a small pic of the country's flag captioned by its language. So maybe we might put a little China flag captioned by "中文" (Chinese) on each page, and link it to a Chinese translation of said page?

(Or take the lazy way out and link it to a google translate facilityl!)

Do you by that mean:

-that there are Russian sites already out there that cater to spreading these Japanese style VNs to a Russian audience?

OR

-that there is such a thing as "a Russian VN", which is completely different to the VNs that we know of?

If it helps, I used the VNDB to filter visual novels by Original Language: Russian. Here are the results.

Do you by that mean:

OR

Yes to both! The Russian VN community is small but passionate. They've translated as many or more VNs into Russian than we have into English, though (to my understanding) they do not have any VN licensed content yet. The sites are many, but networked.

Hm, If you'll need some assistance of Russian Community representer, Here I am. I'll help with everything I can.

Although, I'm not really into the community. Also, I doubt that you can even call it community.

It's pretty scattered. There is some websites and individuals, who translates something (Mostly, From English), though, but as far as I know they aren't all that connected to each other.

And, speaking of Russian translations. It's not about quantity, it's about quality. Often translations are pretty lame.

There is just horrible translation of Ever17, for example. Can't even imagine how someone can actually read it. So many russian VN-readers prefer to read in English.

Although, the situation with translation quality began to improve lately.

I think it's a good idea to make fuwanovel something like international web resource for visual novel fans, where everything will be in one place.

So, If you need some assistance, I'll gladly help.

• 2 weeks later...

With my recent infiltration of the Russian VN scene...

Can you disclose nickname used for this infiltration? I am sure that i have not seen any "Tay" out there.

They've translated as many or more VNs into Russian than we have into English, though (to my understanding) they do not have any VN licensed content yet.

Sakura Taisen 1-2 are licensed, that's for sure. Most probably http://vndb.org/p1342 too. Though now official translations of VN in Russia are no more.

There is just horrible translation of Ever17, for example. Can't even imagine how someone can actually read it. So many russian VN-readers prefer to read in English.

It's maybe bad, but not horrible. I am not friend of Winky (dsp2003), not even a little, so you can't blame me for biased opinion. And, well, 8,5K downloading only single repack, only from rutracker... You imagination sucks, i can say. Still i agree with overall low level of russian translations.

• 3 weeks later...

Chinese, if we had a text to speech engine I could help with a Chinese page ( I think there is one for android). I can't read or write Chinese ( traditional), but my speaking and listening ( though very rusty) might be good enough to be a little bit of help ( its a good thing that Chinese grammar is very similar to English, though my grammar is horrible)

I speak minimal Chinese along with minimal Japanese everyday.

If this did become a multilingual forum, how would we work everything out?