What's the oldest anime you've seen (and liked?)

zoom909

Mine's Suteneko Tora-chan (1947)

It's actually good, I swear!  However, it's not at all like "the anime style" I'm used to.

I guess the oldest one I've seen and liked, that is actually in "the anime style" we know now would be Mirai Shounen Conan which I think is 1978 or something like that.

I thinks it must be mahou shoujo pretty sammy, but I'm not really sure if it's the oldest i've seen.

But the oldest anime animated movie I've seen and like is The sea prince and the fire child (Shiriusu no densetsu), and it was released in 1981.

Digging the oldest japanese animation thing I've seen, it would be Hakujaden (1958), Toei's first feature-length movie. That's rather anecdotal though. Also saw a couple of episodes of Mahoutsukai Sally by curiosity, which is 1966 or something like that.

For a real "anime" thing I've fully seen, I think it's Cutie Honey (1975). Pretty enjoyable series, if you like Go Nagai and a sexy magical-girl-ish heroine.

Pre-1980 do look a bit old to me, to be honest. I love the 80s and 90s designs though. Lately I prefer old stuff to new stuff.

The oldest Anime that I watched is Dragon Ball (1986) and the oldest one that I liked would be either Mononoke Hime (1997) or Tenshi Kinryouku (2000).

I am not really a big fan of old anime (pre 2000) so I haven't watched that many of them.

I have a real problem with old anime. Just can't get into them because the animation always seems so crude.

*Design, probably. Overall art or chara-design. 80s and 90s series are about as well animated as today's stuff, although the defaults are more visible when they are present. Or at least the difference isn't significant. 

Also, see reference chart below.  You can see the evolution of moe ^_^

24lj7lv.jpg

1985 to 2000 chara-design confirmed for superior :P

*Design, probably. Overall art or chara-design. 80s and 90s series are about as well animated as today's stuff, although the defaults are more visible when they are present. Or at least the difference isn't significant. 

1985 to 2000 chara-design confirmed for superior :P

I will never be able to understand people who prefer the old Anime over the new ones.

I will never be able to understand people who prefer the old Anime over the new ones.

Well, personal tastes for one thing. Whether it's about themes or chara-design. I love SF, and old anime gives me way better stuff than new ones in that aspect. I love the 90s chara-design, whereas typical KyoAni or the typical A-1 Pictures chara-designs are getting more and more on my nerves. I get enjoyable slice of life in both. I get deep, rich series in both, but once again I get that more in older series, and I like that. I get orgasmically good animation in both.

I won't get into the "was it better before" debate, I get stuff I like in both eras and (at least currently) more in older stuff, I'm not sure there's an intrinsic quality difference and I would need a larger culture to be able to form an opinion on that.

Well, personal tastes for one thing. Whether it's about themes or chara-design. I love SF, and old anime gives me way better stuff than new ones in that aspect. I love the 90s chara-design, whereas typical KyoAni or the typical A-1 Pictures chara-designs are getting more and more on my nerves. I get enjoyable slice of life in both. I get deep, rich series in both, but once again I get that more in older series, and I like that. I get orgasmically good animation in both.

I won't get into the "was it better before" debate, I get stuff I like in both eras and (at least currently) more in older stuff, I'm not sure there's an intrinsic quality difference and I would need a larger culture to be able to form an opinion on that.

That's the thing I can't get. I love Anime for what they are now and Anime in 80', 90' usually are not very Anime-like. It's like saying that you are Otaku but that you prefer a live action. I can understand if the person who is just a casual Anime watcher says that, but for someone who is in the latter stages of Otakuism to say that is weird.

That's the thing I can't get. I love Anime for what they are now and Anime in 80', 90' usually are not very Anime-like. It's like saying that you are Otaku but that you prefer a live action. I can understand if the person who is just a casual Anime watcher says that, but for someone who is in the latter stages of Otakuism to say that is weird.

Actually, it's the reverse of that.

2000+ anime is what the neophyte anime fans limit themselves to.

The cultivated Otaku mind also appreciates the 80's/90's cel animation...

Holy lol. Otaku already existed in the 80s, you know. Those people would have more legitimacy saying the new generation isn't otaku anymore. (They would be wrong too though)

Besides, I don't see what's not anime-like in the 80s and 90s anime. That's basically saying that "there are anime that are not anime", which is absurd. There are lots of differences between anime then and anime now, I think it's a really interesting subject actually, but the gap isn't wide enough to justify making it two different cultures.

I haven't really seen any super old anime. The oldest that I've watched and enjoyed was probably the original Dragon Ball ('86). I used to like DBZ but I turned on that when I grew up, heh. Dragon Ball though is just a really fun action/adventure show. No beam battles, no powering up, no sudden transformations just before victory, maybe only two fights that last longer than an episode, and so on. It's a much simpler show and way better for it. I watched it again a couple years ago and still really enjoy it.

Second oldest show I enjoyed was probably Legend of Galactic Heroes. It's amazing. It's like someone turned Three Kingdoms into an epic length space opera and stuffed it full of WW2 allegories as well. Just really fantastic political and military drama. It's easily one of my favorites, it's such a timeless show, and one everyone should watch. Edit: Or maybe they turned WW2 into a space opera heavily influenced by Three Kingdoms? Whatever, the order isn't important. :P

I saw a few episodes on Oniisama E (from 1991) a few years back, and the only thing that stopped me from watching the rest was how impossible it was to find at the time. I think it's getting an official release now, though, so I'll probably finish it soon enough.

As for things I watched to (near) completion, I hink it was Marmalade boy, from 1994.

• 5 weeks later...
Guest sakanaとkoeda

Looney Tunes maybe?

If that's beyond the scope of anime, then I guess the original Toonami lineup (like the above: Dragonball Z, Gundam Wing, Inuyasha, etc.)

The oldest I can think of that I've seen :  UFO Robot Grendizer (known as Goldorak over here) from the mid 70's, Astro Boy 80's version and Space Pirate Captain Harlock (known as Albator around here) from the late 70s.  All of those were airing dubbed in french when I was a kid.

I'm one of those spoiled kids who prefer newer anime with good animation as opposed to older anime, so I can't find many old anime I like... That said, the oldest anime I liked were probably those made in the '90s, when I was born, like Evangelion, Cardcaptor Sakura, Digimon Adventure, and Pokemon Season 1.