Any VNs dealing with memories, memory loss, meaning of memories?

K450

VNs already read/marked for future reading:

True Remembrance

Irosekai

Marenovel

I ask this because I'm having trouble setting up the framework for my Marenovel fanstory as it relates to memories.

I first started not too long ago, around April, writing the master canon, until I hit a swarm of obstacles while trying to develop a workable system defining a memory.

At present I need more data to help find possible solutions to the problems I currently face.

So, are there any fitting the criteria that are somewhat good?

Hmm, Steins;Gate focuses more on the time travel and multi-world aspects but there are still several mentions to human memories. Mostly having to do with the human mind being just a mass of electronic data. Might be worth looking into.

One of Gensou no Idea's protagonists is an amnesiac (an extreme one).  Three characters in Reminiscience have some sort of memory block/problem.  Harumade Kururu, for reasons I don't want to spoil.  Natsu no Owari no Nirvana, once again for reasons I don't want to spoil.  Phantom of Inferno, though it is only a starting point, not the central-most factor.  Sinclient, the protagonist, briefly.  Tokyo Babel, Sorami (though there are reasons for it that I won't spoil, lol).  Abyss Homicide Club (the protagonist).  Gleam Garden no Shoujo (again, won't spoil it for you).  Hotel. (it is spelled with the period)  Devils Devel Concept's protagonist has intentional/provisional amnesia (he deliberately forgets things he doesn't consider important, for reasons I won't spoil).  Para-sol. Bloody Rondo. Soushuu Senshinkan Gakuen Hachimyoujin. 

I could go on, but these are the cream of the crop...

I am currently embroiled in Ever17. One of the protagonists suffers retrograde amnesia so thorough he's totally forgotten who he is. Everyone just calls him "Kid". I highly recommend you check it out. Also, I second the above-mentioned Steins;Gate recommend.  :D

Kanon touches on the theme of memories, and so does Hoshizora no Memorie, but they never really go to deep into it, especially the former. As for untranslated VNs, there's Disorder6, starring an amnesiac protagonist and a main heroine with a serious case of DID.  ;) The VN is like an offshoot of the X;Y series, so it delves into the problem a bit.

Kanon touches on the theme of memories, and so does Hoshizora no Memorie, but they never really go to deep into it, especially the former. As for untranslated VNs, there's Disorder6, starring an amnesiac protagonist and a main heroine with a serious case of DID.  ;) The VN is like an offshoot of the X;Y series, so it delves into the problem a bit.

I wonder if anyone is thinking of translating this? Sounds a bit like Remember 11 from that which I really enjoyed ;):D

Losing memory/pseudo-amnesia is a very common character trait for most of average visual novels. At the same time it's hard to discuss anything without spoiling things. Unfortunately, most of visual novels dealing with those topics do that in a horrible kind of way, most often using it as a cheap excuse to execute some whimsical sort of story, that otherwise wouldn't make any sense.

True Rememberance is the only good title which covers loss of memory in a correct manner, without making the story absurd, or silly.

You shouldn't mix memory blocks with amnesia as well, since they are two completely different things.

Another interesting one would be Cross Channel.

Because as the world loops over and over, only some people who are at a certain area at the time of the loop retain their memories. This makes for an interesting subjective point of view about time, and about the development of the characters that are experiencing this. A similar setting is also approached by Steins;Gate.

Cross Channel is a horrible example in terms of amnesia. Please, don't even bring it up.

If you need precise knowledge, you should rather hit the proper books, than search for inspiration/answers within visual novels. most of them suck at writing anyway.

Whoa there, getting a little worked up, are we? This is merely brainstorming, no need to be so technical about "precise knowledge". If a "bad" example contributes to give him a good idea, then that's that. Cross Channel is not a horrible example as it does approach the point K450 is trying to make, wich is "a fanstory that relates to memories".

That aside, I don't mind correcting you, but you should know by now that this comunity is a rather friendly one, and I would rather it stayed that way if you'd only mince your words. I also don't mind being wrong. Convince me without that attitude and we'll get somewhere.

Here's a full list of visual novels dealing with amnesia or memory loss as a more (or less) serious plot point, in quality order from highest to lowest. Mind, since VNDB voting system is a rather poor way to judge visual novels in terms of quality; "popular" does not necesarilly mean "good", either.

Why isn't Muv Luv Alternative on there? It's huge on memories. I guess the diagnoses wouldn't classify as Amensia, but it's very similar. 

Here's a full list of visual novels dealing with amnesia or memory loss as a more (or less) serious plot point, in quality order from highest to lowest. Mind, since VNDB voting system is a rather poor way to judge visual novels in terms of quality; "popular" does not necesarilly mean "good", either.

Searching like this is probably the first thing people do anyway, that's why its better to ask people for their experiences (like K450 does in this thread) instead of just picking a random "amnesia"-tagged VN. You miss a lot of VNs this way and you also risk starting one that has only 1 side-character that has something to do with amnesia.  :mellow:

Why isn't Muv Luv Alternative on there? It's huge on memories. I guess the diagnoses wouldn't classify as Amensia, but it's very similar. 

A good example.  ^_^

MLA...have nothing to do with actual amnesia

Debatable, since there is that one part when

Takeru decides to go on his PTSD-fueled causality rape of Extraworld and everybody forgets him the more they interact with him.

It's only one part of a very long VN that tackles a range of topics, but it does involve memory loss, and I feel it would be a disservice to the discussion to dismiss it.