999: Nine Hours, Nine Persons, Nine Doors

InvertMouse

I recently finished this game on the DS and I loved it so, so much! The twist was just mindblowing. Often, when a game is this plot heavy, the characters will have no time to develop, and they all become storytelling devices. In 999, however, I found the characters' personalities were clear, and I ended up caring for just about all of them. Those twists in the true path were so clever they almost moved me to tears.

The story in 999 mirrors that of Ever17. That's okay, I suppose, because it was written by the same person. Still, there's a risk of people calling the writer a one trick pony. I hardly cared, because a mindblowing plot is a mindblowing plot.

I remember reading from somewhere (maybe from this forum) that 999's plot is a ripoff of some other visual novels. If anyone knows the details, I'd love to hear it. Though it might make me respect the game less, I want to know more.

I'd also love to know if you guys have other games of this type to recommend. Ever17 and 999 are two of my favorite stories out there. Any other VN titles with the same level of plot twists?

Of course, if anyone else has played 999 and would like to share their thoughts, I'd be keen to read all about it.

Last, I just want to say I really look forward to Zero Escape, which I picked up several days ago B).

I love plot twists, and just great plots in general, so I'm definitely interested in this!

For the DS I would really recommend Hotel Dusk: http://vndb.org/v697

It's not shocking or plot-twisty, so I don't know if it's really what you're looking for, but I absolutely loved the mystery, the atmosphere, the characters, the plot.

Yeah, this was kind of off topic, but I've been wanting to recommend Hotel Dusk to someone for a while XD

I remember reading from somewhere (maybe from this forum) that 999's plot is a ripoff of some other visual novels. If anyone knows the details, I'd love to hear it. Though it might make me respect the game less, I want to know more.

Don't worry, they're just saying it's ripping off Ever 17, which I don't feel is fair. They're plenty different to me

okami55, I do recommend this game a lot :)!

meru, thanks for the recommendation! It looks interesting indeed. Man, Zero Escape is all I care about right now, though XD.

Moekou, yeah, to say it's a completely ripoff is harsh. However, there are definitely similarities that I felt were more than glaring. As in, they threw me out of the immersion because I thought, "Oh, hey, this is exactly like Ever17."

Anyway, I'll recommend this game to anybody. I heard those who pre-ordered it gets one of those watches as a bonus. So wished I owned one! But it's $150 on Amazon :blink:.

999 was great up until the True End.

The True End just ruined everything.

Answering the question from before. It's cool, atmospheric and pretty original in some ways in the first half, even in one of the "full-endings", which is called Safe-Ending.

But as soon as you step out on True Route, it's starting to collapse, using exactly the same plot elements as Ever 17 had used. But, the thing is, In Ever 17 they're were somehow justified, but in 999 they just fell out of nowhere, generating countless plotholes.

It may look cool if you didn't read Ever17. Plotholes may even be forgiven, for epic and sudden twists, especially if you're not thinking too much.

But thats the whole different story with Ever17 experience.

On the other hand, if you read Ever 17 beforehand you at least know how the hell author came up with something like this in true end and won't be too disappointed.

From third point of view, if you read 999 before Ever17, you won't be able to enjoy ever17 at it's whole anymore, and as for me, it's better to enjoy Ever17, then 999. Only because the plot was more logical in there, then in 999.

999 was great up until the True End.

The True End just ruined everything.

Answering the question from before. It's cool, atmospheric and pretty original in some ways in the first half, even in one of the "full-endings", which is called Safe-Ending.

But as soon as you step out on True Route, it's starting to collapse, using exactly the same plot elements as Ever 17 had used. But, the thing is, In Ever 17 they're were somehow justified, but in 999 they just fell out of nowhere, generating countless plotholes.

It may look cool if you didn't read Ever17. Plotholes may even be forgiven, for epic and sudden twists, especially if you're not thinking too much.

But thats the whole different story with Ever17 experience.

On the other hand, if you read Ever 17 beforehand you at least know how the hell author came up with something like this in true end and won't be too disappointed.

From third point of view, if you read 999 before Ever17, you won't be able to enjoy ever17 at it's whole anymore, and as for me, it's better to enjoy Ever17, then 999. Only because the plot was more logical in there, then in 999.

Thanks for the response, Finjas :). Yeah, after reading Ever17 first, 999's impact definitely lessens dramatically. Care to talk about some of the plot holes that you've hinted at? I love 999 but I want to hear it being ripped apart as well :P.

One thing I can think of is, how on earth did Santa and June get all the money to plan all this?

Plotholes are countless, as I said.

For example, I get this telepathy-thing, but how the hell did June manage to crank it not only through space, but even through time?

If June is dead, how did she appeared on the ship? Why the hell she's having common past with Junpei in the first place?

Why June can't play sudoku?

The author's treatment to June may be called a plothole as well.

We can see, that June is treated as good character, but if you think of it, she killed two people with hands of other man, abducted everyone, made them to play life-or-death game.

Why? Just because to save HERSELF! After death.

There was much more of such examples, but I don't really remember them already. It's hard to remember things that violates laws of logic.

The whole principle of causality was just raped.

• 2 weeks later...

Plotholes are countless, as I said.

For example, I get this telepathy-thing, but how the hell did June manage to crank it not only through space, but even through time?

If June is dead, how did she appeared on the ship? Why the hell she's having common past with Junpei in the first place?

Why June can't play sudoku?

The author's treatment to June may be called a plothole as well.

We can see, that June is treated as good character, but if you think of it, she killed two people with hands of other man, abducted everyone, made them to play life-or-death game.

Why? Just because to save HERSELF! After death.

There was much more of such examples, but I don't really remember them already. It's hard to remember things that violates laws of logic.

The whole principle of causality was just raped.

Those are some really good points :). It is true that there are tons of unexplained logic in the game. For some reason, though, I just went along with it. With the exception of one or two points, I can accept all of the issues listed above. Otherwise, I never would have picked up Zero Escape, which I'm playing now B).