Higurashi no Naku Koro Ni - Is the VN worth reading after the anime?

Mr Poltroon

First of all, I'm not really sure where to put this thread... So I went for the Visual Novel section. I apologize in advance if there's somewhere better for this.

I watched the two seasons of the anime and I really liked them, but then, when I tried reading the visual novel, I found that the first visual novel episode was pretty much the same as the anime (but that's to be expected, or at least should be) and since I didn't want to watch the same thing twice, I became kind of bored.

The question is as follows:

Will every episode be like this?

Does this Visual Novel have considerably more content than what was shown in the anime adaptation?

Should I bother reading the visual novel having already watched the anime?

I once was in the same position you are in now; I finished Higurashi anime and really liked it, short after found the VN and wondered if I should read it. The anime was pretty good, and compared to the VN not bad at all. Even if it was a bad adaptation, you still already know all the secrets. I waited a year or 2 and decided to read it anyway. In my opinion it was worth it, especially Higurashi kai. I loved meakashi in the VN.

As for your direct questions.

Will every episode be like this?

No. You may recognize a lot, but the first episode(s) were just a bit boring compared to the rest. A lot of character introduction (of characters you already know really well), a lot of school scenes, lack of great music and getting used to the art is also part of this I think.

Does this Visual Novel have considerably more content than what was shown in the anime adaptation?

It has more content, but I only really noticed it in Kai. Higurashi and Higurashi Kai VN both consist of 4 chapters. The anime had 26 episodes for "Higurashi" and 24 episodes for "Higurashi Kai". Iirc the anime that is called "Higurashi Kai" actually only contains chapter 3 and 4 of the Higurashi Kai VN (they probably did this because there is a lot to explain in this part). The chapter 1 and 2 of the Kai VN are in the last episodes of the "Higurashi" anime (Meakashi-hen and Tsumihoroboshi-hen). So you will notice you get more information about these chapters.

Should I bother reading the visual novel having already watched the anime?

Well to be honest, my answer to this question would always be yes in every case. As for if you would enjoy reading Higuarshi I don't know. But even if you decide to not continue with Higurashi, I would recommend to give Higurashi Kai a try before you decide to not read any of it. Higurashi Kai is a great VN and it is atleast worth your time to try it.

Well to be honest, my answer to this question would always be yes in every case. As for if you would enjoy reading Higuarshi I don't know. But even if you decide to not continue with Higurashi, I would recommend to give Higurashi Kai a try before you decide to not read any of it. Higurashi Kai is a great VN and it is atleast worth your time to try it.

I see...

Ok I'll probably try it then.

If anyone else has an opinion on this feel free to share it.