Jump to content

What Site Work Would You Like To See?

Please consider taking this survey (Link) and let me know what you want to see fixed/improved upon across the various Fuwanovel sites. Your feedback will determine my work priorities this Summer/Fall. (Forum Post)

< 3 - Tay

You can dismiss this alert by clicking on the "X" button

astro

Clover Days Translation Project

Recommended Posts

34 minutes ago, ittaku said:

Nah, you're being far too optimistic. Your prediction implies progress is happening when in fact nothing is.

I have no problem with waiting and I am really looking forward to read Clover Days but I have a question: 

The current problem is that astro is really busy and you need someone to help out with TLC or editing.
In other words the probability that the patch will come out this year is really low, or not? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, -soraa said:

I have no problem with waiting and I am really looking forward to read Clover Days but I have a question: 

The current problem is that astro is really busy and you need someone to help out with TLC or editing.
In other words the probability that the patch will come out this year is really low, or not? 

Looking at what astro's up to, I'd say really low.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, Stormwolf said:

Man, unless they're waiting to get a deal somewhere i'd be really fucking pissed if all my hard work was handled in this way. A team effort reduced to the whims of one person.

Well the "team" really did consist of just Astro trying to recruit people. He got one other translator and myself, and I did the bulk of the work. So once our component was done, that leaves only Astro as the "team". I've tried intermittently prompting him because I certainly want to see this come to conclusion some time in my lifetime. What you say has some merit so perhaps I should ping him more frequently. If no one reminds you regularly about something that isn't high on your priority list, a project can easily become out of mind out of sight.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, ittaku said:

Well the "team" really did consist of just Astro trying to recruit people. He got one other translator and myself, and I did the bulk of the work. So once our component was done, that leaves only Astro as the "team". I've tried intermittently prompting him because I certainly want to see this come to conclusion some time in my lifetime. What you say has some merit so perhaps I should ping him more frequently. If no one reminds you regularly about something that isn't high on your priority list, a project can easily become out of mind out of sight.

I hope you get a satisfying response. No fun when hard work goes to waste.

Well, you do have your translation if worst comes to worst anyway.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

School and work come first for me. I work and go to school full-time. This was just a project I started as a hobby so I hope you do understand if I'm only able to work on it a bit every other day or even week. Sorry for everyone who's been waiting patiently. I'm still just a student with many responsibilities trying my best to earn my own tuition and struggle through until graduation. It would be very helpful if I had an extra (capable) hand to help out with the project but no one's stepping up to the plate so things don't seem like they'll be getting any faster for the time being.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks for the official update @astro

It's good to hear that at least you want to keep on with the project however short your spare time is. Can't say I don't feel a bit sad by hearing this, since I'm among those waiting for this patch. 

On the other hand, is there a chance of a partial patch with the work done this far ?? Maybe this is asking too much and you want a full release after TLC and Proofread are done thoroughly, but well... that's entirely up to you, and I will respect your decision. 

Hope you succes on your studies/work :sachi:

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Benji Price said:

On the other hand, is there a chance of a partial patch with the work done this far ?? Maybe this is asking too much and you want a full release after TLC and Proofread are done thoroughly, but well... that's entirely up to you, and I will respect your decision.

Alas my experience has been that releasing a full un-tlc, unedited, un-proofread patch dilutes the impact of the game since people are often desperate to read it that they won't wait for the final patch and then many pass judgement on the game by its beta patch. Sure the purists are patient enough to always wait since they don't want to have a diminished experience, but ask yourself why you want the unedited patch and what effect reading it in that form will have on your experience of, and opinion of the piece of work in question.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, ittaku said:

Alas my experience has been that releasing a full un-tlc, unedited, un-proofread patch dilutes the impact of the game since people are often desperate to read it that they won't wait for the final patch and then many pass judgement on the game by its beta patch. Sure the purists are patient enough to always wait since they don't want to have a diminished experience, but ask yourself why you want the unedited patch and what effect reading it in that form will have on your experience of, and opinion of the piece of work in question.

I was one of the many who jumped on your beta patch of To Heart 2 who then also read through your full patch when it was released as well. I can say that the Beta patch did not stop myself from wanting to read your full release, nor did it make me judge To Heart 2 poorly because what I had originally read. I do think there is an essence of time involved as well. If I remember correctly, there was quite some time between the beta patch and full patch of To Heart 2. In situations like this where there is going to be a long lapse between said beta patch and the full release, I don't think there is much to lose by releasing the unfinished patch.

Now if the full patch would be ready in 6-ish months or so, it is definitely not worth it. But when talking years in some cases, a beta patch can help tide people over. And frankly, it would be like experiencing the VN anew once the full patch comes out because of the time between. Situational for sure, but as Astro has implied, this could be quite the long haul if no help is brought in before we do, eventually, get a full patch of Clover Days, this might be worth exploring. I feel that this holds true for all fan-TLs, not just this specific case. The downside of course is peoples' impressions of your quality of work, but if a patch is labeled beta and it's said that the patch is an unedited, non TLC version and people still complain about the quality, their opinions probably aren't worth much in the first place.

Just my 2 cents.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, skrewball717 said:

I was one of the many who jumped on your beta patch of To Heart 2 who then also read through your full patch when it was released as well. I can say that the Beta patch did not stop myself from wanting to read your full release, nor did it make me judge To Heart 2 poorly because what I had originally read. I do think there is an essence of time involved as well. If I remember correctly, there was quite some time between the beta patch and full patch of To Heart 2. In situations like this where there is going to be a long lapse between said beta patch and the full release, I don't think there is much to lose by releasing the unfinished patch.

Now if the full patch would be ready in 6-ish months or so, it is definitely not worth it. But when talking years in some cases, a beta patch can help tide people over. And frankly, it would be like experiencing the VN anew once the full patch comes out because of the time between. Situational for sure, but as Astro has implied, this could be quite the long haul if no help is brought in before we do, eventually, get a full patch of Clover Days, this might be worth exploring. I feel that this holds true for all fan-TLs, not just this specific case. The downside of course is peoples' impressions of your quality of work, but if a patch is labeled beta and it's said that the patch is an unedited, non TLC version and people still complain about the quality, their opinions probably aren't worth much in the first place.

Just my 2 cents.

Thanks, but I'd say you're the exception.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It think waiting for the full release also depends on the impact the VN left on you after playing with the unfinished patch. In my case with Hoshimemo (one of my favourites) after having read it no less than 3 times with the Fan TL, yet waited patiently for the official release so as to have a different experience. I can say that in my case it was worth, saving one or two untranslated lines. 

Anyway, can't deny that @ittaku is right about the wrong-based opinion of readers who in most cases won't wait for the full release to make a proper judgement of the patch.

Let's just hope astro wins the lottery so he won't have to work anymore. :wahaha:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 15/02/2018 at 6:36 PM, Fuzzytrout said:

Anyone interested, Clover Days is on sale at DMM for 50% off at the moment. 

Would never buy a game while waiting for a fan translation. Do it after fan translation is released. Would suck pretty hard if fan translation was sold to a publisher while you're waiting with your already purchased digital or retail copy of the game :P

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/11/2018 at 5:28 AM, astro said:

School and work come first for me. I work and go to school full-time. This was just a project I started as a hobby so I hope you do understand if I'm only able to work on it a bit every other day or even week. Sorry for everyone who's been waiting patiently. I'm still just a student with many responsibilities trying my best to earn my own tuition and struggle through until graduation. It would be very helpful if I had an extra (capable) hand to help out with the project but no one's stepping up to the plate so things don't seem like they'll be getting any faster for the time being.

 

What exactly do you need a hand with?

If it's editing, I could help if it just requires making sure the scripts read well and grammar consistency and stuff.

Can't do TLC since I'm don't know Japanese 

Edited by NowItsAngeTime

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, NowItsAngeTime said:

What exactly do you need a hand with?

If it's editing, I could help if it just requires making sure the scripts read well and grammar consistency and stuff.

Can't do TLC since I'm don't know Japanese 

It is TLC.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×