Are the side character routes in Muv-Luv worth it?

Crimson

The last few days I was busy playing Muv-Luv extra in order to prepare for Muv-Luv alternative, which I noticed had a ridiculously high EGS score. So in order to enjoy Muv-Luv alternative even more, I decided to play through Muv-Luv extra and unlimited first. The alternate readme said that the only important routes in extra are Meiya's and Sumika's and that the other routes should be neglected, as they're supposed to be very boring.

Now I wondered, is that true? I actually like Kei-chan and Miki a lot so I considered doing their routes too, thus I would like to know whether some of you have played those routes and if you could tell me whether they're worth the time spent on them or if I should just skip to alternate after finishing Meiya's and Sumika's routes?

I've have played all the routes in extra and unlimited. In Extra I recommend you do all the routes you wish, just Chizuru's was hell boring IMO. In Unlimited all the routes are kind of the same thing, just changing the characters, so I recommend you choose one or two and skip the rest.

All the routes? Crap, how were you able to do that? Everywhere I looked so far, everyone said that Muv-Luv extra and unlimited are simply sooo much weaker than Alternative and should solely be read due to story purposes. Some even described the first 2 games as "horrible". Well, so far I cannot really complain, I'm still on the common route, nothing really has happened so far, I'm still waiting for some sort of twist and it's starting to get boring, the only thing enabling me to marathon muv-luv so far is the humour.

How did you find Muv-Luv extra and unlimited? Do you agree with the public opinion on extra / unlimited? If not, why not? Since you played all the routes in both games, I suppose you really liked them so I would be quiet interested in your opinion on them.

All the routes? Crap, how were you able to do that? Everywhere I looked so far, everyone said that Muv-Luv extra and unlimited are simply sooo much weaker than Alternative and should solely be read due to story purposes. Some even described the first 2 games as "horrible". Well, so far I cannot really complain, I'm still on the common route, nothing really has happened so far, I'm still waiting for some sort of twist and it's starting to get boring, the only thing enabling me to marathon muv-luv so far is the humour.

How did you find Muv-Luv extra and unlimited? Do you agree with the public opinion on extra / unlimited? If not, why not? Since you played all the routes in both games, I suppose you really liked them so I would be quiet interested in your opinion on them.

I heard about them just like you, I found Alternative first, but prepared to play Extra and Unlimited before them. I can't say I loved those two, It's just that I'm a game completionist, so I have to see all the content. In Extra I thought all the routes were worth it except for Chizuru's, Meya is pretty boring as well but that one is a must to unlock Unlimited. In Unlimited, like I said, what matters is the common route, just choose one or two heroines, because they're pretty much the same (don't choose the teacher route on neither, they're just fanservice and skipable). It's true Alternative is a lot superior to the previous two, but I wouldn't call them horrible.

Don't worry. It's suposed to be that way, its a common life story nothing too exciting. Just read the two main stories in Extra and then you can come back and do the rest. If you are interested you can do them all first . In my case I did Meiya and Sumika's first then after I finished Unlimited I did all of them except Chizuru's and the Marimo ending (guess is the "same" as Yuuko's in Unlimited).

Don't let the opinions get the worst out of you and enjoy the game because even when they say its bad and all that stuff its still worth playing both Extra and Unlimited. 

My opinion and suggestion? Do the other routes if you are interested in the other girls, if not, don't bother. It's not big deal. 

As Nagisa said, Unlimited is all the same except the ending when you choose a girl. And when we say the same is literally the same lol.

Hope you have nice dreams.

You will know what I mean.

I love foreshadowing this to people lol.

Wut? Dude, you can't make suggestions like that and then just stay quiet... Why do you hope I'll have nice dreams... what does this have to do with the plot... AAARGH I hate not knowing what's going to happen after someone has been foreshadowing something... :(

Yeah I will but due to you I just lost 3 of my vacation days. Gotta take some free time in order to marathon the three games. This is why I hate it when people foreshadow something because then I simply get so impatient... So yeah, I probably will contact you in a few days and be like "So THAT'S what you meant"...

I think I'll do something like this then, Extra (Meiya) --> Unlimited (Meiya) --> Extra (Sumika) --> Extra (Kei) --> Extra (Miki) --> Alternative. I don't really like Sumika (seriously, how can a person be that jealous and distrustful toward their best friend...), but still, I guess I should do her route as she's one of the two main heroines...

You serious? Now that's annoying. ^^ Well, I guess it can't be helped. If alternative is as amazing as everybody says, I most likely won't regret having read all those routes anyways. Then I'll just do Sumika immediately after Meiya.

I would recommend doing all of the extra routes before you start unlimited. In both unlimited and Alternative, there are several references to events and people who are introduced during the Extra character routes. Yes, some od them may be dry, especially Class Rep's route, but in my opinion its always interesting to see the references that Unlimited and Alternative.

Just do Sumika's and Meiya's. I've personally really enjoyed the humour in Extra (loved the overdramatic effects and such, exactly my thing), but as soon as they tried to do some serious drama, it kind of fell apart. I've only managed to do Kei's route outside of the main two, and it was... weird, to say the least. Definitely not fun to read. Not to mention the characters are mostly unlikeable, especially the class rep, ugh.

At least the main pair is endearing.

Seeing Kei with a chan suffix is a first :P

I'd say do them if you're interested in the character in Extra, but skip out in Unlimited. It's not worth it in Unlimited, but it might be in Extra if you like them.

+ ignore what people say about Extra being bad/skippable/etc., it's actually a masterpiece when you look back at it after the whole series.

Muv-Luv Extra isn't bad, it's just 100% slice of life romance ^^; But I agree it is worth to read it to improve your own experience of Unlimited and not to mention Alternative. Personally I read Sumika/Meiya and because Ayamine was one of my favorite characters I decided to pick her in Unlimited instead of playing her route in Extra. 

It's just that I'm a game completionist, so I have to see all the content. 

I am quite the completionist myself but.. I'm just no good with slice of life.  :D When I started Extra I was planning to read all routes. After I finished Sumika route.. I thought "nevermind, just this time", finished Meiya and quickly moved on to Unlimited.

Well, I actually think the -chan Suffix suits her quite well. She's simply in a different way kawaii from most other characters, but I still consider her a very interesting and cute character. So, for the record, I won't stop adding the -chan :P

One thing that I might recommend to anyone just picking this up is to watch Kimi ga Nozomu Eien(also known as "Rumbling Hearts") before starting, or at least before Alternative.  It's not really part of the story or anything, but it does introduce you to some characters that show up in Alternative and the events of the story are loosely referenced.    

There's also Akane Maniax, which is a rather absurd comedy(think Excel Saga levels of weirdness), but is pretty much a direct prequel to Muv-Luv Extra and introduces a character that you never meet and is only name dropped once in the visual novel.

I was in such a hurry to bullrush into Alternative that I didn't pay too much attention to the side routes in Extra. Takeru's experiences with Sumika and Meiya are the only ones in Extra that really impact the events of Alternative, truth be told. I did Ayamine's on a lark, but it didn't affect my enjoyment of Alternative at all except to make 1st Lt. Sagiri's involvement in the plot a tiny bit more meaningful, maybe, I guess?

I can't speak for Unlimited, since I only did Meiya's route there.