Reflections on Fuwa

Visual novels for the world...

It's funny, isn't it? Fuwanovel's infamous mission statement...ya know, sometimes I stop and think to myself just how powerful those words really are. To some, they are just words plastered on a page to make it look good, but to others they have a much deeper meaning. When I first discovered this website a few months ago, I too like many of you came here for a purpose, a purpose that may have had little to no meaning whatsoever. Perhaps I came here to download a visual novel, or maybe I just wanted to read about the release date of some translation. It wasn't until I stopped to really read the purpose of this community that I started to realize what Aaeru was trying to create.

Those 5 words...to me, no, to everyone, those words speak something. They aren't there for show, but rather they are there to remind us that this community is in itself the representation of many cultures from around the world. We form relationships with those around us no matter our differences and interests and unite under one banner to show everyone on the outside that we are brothers and sisters in arms. To us, those words speak a truth, and it is because of them that we continue pushing forward like we do.

You may ask yourself, why am I writing this post? I am not running this show as a staff member, nor am I really of any importance seeing as I am just another cog in the wheel, so why bother? To answer that, let me ask you a question instead: why do you come here? For some, we may answer something as simple as "I love visual novels," but when you really stop and think about it, it's more than that. We are family, and Fuwanovel is a home to many of us. No matter our interest, no matter our race, no matter our language, we come here because we separate useless boundaries and unite as one collective mind. Sure, we have some pretty strict parents (the staff) and some rascal children in the bunch, but in the end what we share as a group is far greater than anything I have ever seen. We may not all come here for the same reason, but we come here because to all of us, this is and always will be considered home.

People come and people go as the winds of change are constantly blowing. Still, I want to remind everyone that Fuwanovel is and always will be a home for you. The main reason I posted this was to remember who we are, and what this community is. It may seem mundane and sort of useless to state, but take a second and really read these words; remember why you joined Fuwanovel in the first place. The moment you posted something as simple as the word "hello" in the Introduction Forums, you made yourself a part of the family. No matter where life takes you, no matter what happens, this is a place that will always welcome you back. We may be faces hidden behind a computer screen, but we are faces that care. No matter where you come from, no matter what language you speak, no matter what you love, Fuwanovel's doors will always be open, something I am sure the staff and founding members will always agree upon. From the lolicons, to the tsunderes, to the senpais, we are a family. No matter what you love, you are always welcome.

Aaeru got it right. She gave us a building block that we as members and staff continue to build upon. There are always trials and tribulations to overcome, but in the end, we as a community and we as a family push through it. For me, that will always bring a smile to my face, as I hope it does the same for you.

I just felt like reminding that to everyone...

Well said Ren.

I come here mostly for the community, my visual novel list isn't even that long or impressive but this place is simply somewhere I enjoy logging on everyday and I'll keep coming back for as long as I feel that way. So even though i'm not the biggest vn person I still feel accepted in the fuwa family and I'm sure I'm not alone here.

I came to Fuwa for the visual novels at first, but that changed with time. It may seem like I'm exaggerating, but I literally stay one week without talking to a human being, but that doesn't make me feel lonely at all, talking personally makes me feel uncomfortable so I'd rather not do it. But talking like this over the internet is so much fun, and when everyone has the same hobby it's even more wonderful.

Staff members are no different than the ordinary members- It's not like fuwa is a hierarchy or something :P

You're as important as me or any other active member. I'm pretty sure some people don't think of fuwa as a family or anything, just a convenient place to download VNs- and I think that's fine too. The important part is having fun. If you make any bonds, that's great as well.

Indeed, we have this block we can make anything with, and that's great. Quoting (most likely incorrectly) our archmage, I believe fuwa is greater than any one person. Great post, Ren- I hope you keep enjoying our community to it's fullest extent.

What a great post, it's because of things like this that I came here.

At first I just wanted to check translation status and stuff, but after a few minutes reading through the forums I felt like: "Dude, this is such a good place". Everyone seems so welcoming, there are no signs of hate among the members nor staffs, every opinion is respected and welcome, there are so many different personalities and tastes that manage to coexist here. I gave up on participating on forums a few years ago after my main one disbanded (Actually the members of my generation. Sad, but people have to move on with their lives, I still love all of them and the memories I have) but this place made me want to try it again, I don't even know anyone, haven't even talked to anyone and yet I really think it's worth it to be here. I'm aiming for a good stay and to know more people and I'm sure I'll find my place here.

great post ren, and i agree those are some powerful words at the top of the page. i came to fuwa after playing my first vn. id wanted to try them for a long time due to seeing them mentioned in manga and anime over the last 27 or so years. i had no idea where to start and found katawa shoujo hot linked here for the torrent on a hentai site. i thought i hit jackpot , a game made me cry. thats astounding. see those here who have gotten to know me know im a lil screwed up. broken really.

but here at fuwa i found people who didn't judge me for it. no stigma, no biased opinions, and best of all i was treated as a friend. i don't really have friends in the real world any more so it was special to me that i made some here.if fuwa is a place that can accept something like me, then i believe i truly did find a second home. this is the longest iv been on a forum actively usually i jump ship after a month or two , but i truly love the people here and the fun i have with them. thanx fuwa. thanx for being a place that accepts us all with a friendly smile.

I came here because I found visual novels. I stayed because I found family.

For every wonderful plot and character I discovered in a visual novel, I get ridiculed by a friend, as if reminding me that it comes with a price. Fuwanovel was my escape from having nobody understand me, yet here I am now, nothing short of a cog in the community. However isolated or inclusive you feel, there is always someone, somewhere out there, who understands you--and this place is how we connect.

Exactly as Kaguya mentioned, staff are no higher than an ordinary member, and maybe that is why fuwa community can be what it is. It has always been Aaerus goal, which I've agreed with and tried to follow too ever since I joined the staff (and even before that), to let people freely express themselves without any worry of breaking rules or being afraid to ask simple things. That's why there are nearly no rules enforced by the staff members.

Often times it is actually the ordinary members who set the rules and shift the community in the right direction, people who care and try to make fuwa a better place. There has been barely any instances where we as the staff had to interfere and solve a community problem, most often it is all the great people who care that try to talk sense or just simply advise the people who might be starting unnecessary arguments.

And thanks to all that, we in the staff can focus more on the technical side of things, knowing that the community is able to moderate itself.

And so I would like to take this opportunity to thank all members who try to make fuwanovel a friendly and loving place, believe me when I say that it is mostly You (And Mare :MareWish:) who watch over, maintain and moderate the community.

Good job everyone :)

Even as a newcomer, I can appreciate what Ren's saying. We all come together, having similar interests, and learn from each other, help each other out. I think that's a pretty important facet of Fuwanovel, bringing together like-minded people.

The moment you posted something as simple as the word "hello" in the Introduction Forums, you made yourself apart of the family.

Freudian slip much? :P

Obligatory nitpicks aside, very well said. Lately I pretty much just come here to spam the introductions thread with cute pics. :ph34r:

To build on this, when Fuwa was down yesterday, quite a few people(myself included) started talking to each other on twitter and we ended up creating a small IRC to chat with each other, because it helped fill a void that being on Fuwa left. I did not really expect to come onto the forums and make friends with some of the people that I have, but I'm really glad that I did.

Great post Ren.

I made the irc Lol. Then again it would not have been fun if all the other we were with us did not join that IRC. That website have done a lot for me. When I first join I did not expect fuwa to became such an important part of my life. I joke around about have fuwawithdrawl on twitter last night. I going to this forums more than any other website. 

When I first discovered this website a few months ago, I too like many of you came here for a purpose, a purpose that may have had little to no meaning whatsoever.

I came here because I wanted friends. ;_;

65PEwKU.jpg

Well I guess I must be the only person on this forum who's point of view differs.

Still interesting to see how many people feel about the forum.

Joined Fuwa beacuse i want to join community where we hve similiar Hobbies. I got a lot of hobbies n interest. N since most of my mates enjoyed Anime but they prefer gaming(Cod,LOL or HON), and i wont force them bein Otaku. I do have an Otaku friend(yes, a friend not friends)....

I will consider myself lucky. Why? Both of my parents is really strict parents where it comes to etiquette(because my dad job need to meet a lot peps). However they found my Anime n vn is interesting n will broaden my horizon(really?).Best thing was,my parents didnt nag or gettin mad when i bought figures,dakimakura n such,as long as i bought it using my money from my job.

Lastly, i want to say thanks to everyone in here, whom i know or dont for makin Fuwa to such fun place.

8J6Jw.gif
i'll throw a pun for peps who open, and seein how cute Kon is.
"Novice pirates make terrible singers because they can't hit the high seas."

Like many of you, I came here first for the visual novels, but the community on the forums was so kind and welcoming that I decided to

rejoin it, even though it's been years since I rejoined a forum.

I'm so happy to have found this forum!

1240278979845.gif