Effective expansion of vocabulary

I want to expand my vocabulary but cant seem to get into the groove of things. I thought I would simply copy the dictionary and all of its entries one by one to see what sticks. I figured there should be a better way, though, right?

I want to expand my vocabulary as fast as possible with the limited scope of being able to read はぐれ勇者の鬼畜美学(Aesthetica of a Rogue Hero)

So I don't want to waste my time learning the names of animals and colors and household items. I know I will need them eventually and do plan to learn them but I want to be able to read as much of the Novels as soon as possible. Where do I get a list of words that would be most likely to all appear in a Light Novel like this?

The most direct way to get used to the vocab of a work is to play the game/read the novel in question (assuming you have enough grammar and the difficulty isn't impossible).You see, different authors have their own vocabulary sets and writings styles. Failing that, you'll want to play things from the same genre and copy vocab from there. For light novels it would help if you could get a OCR'd copy of the texts.

I would just do the same as Chrono really.

I want to expand my vocabulary but cant seem to get into the groove of things. I thought I would simply copy the dictionary and all of its entries one by one to see what sticks. I figured there should be a better way, though, right?

I'd rather put the words into anki, that way you'd remember them. Considering you want to read the novel, I'd add the words from the novel that pops up often into anki.

you guys a re right. I will try to get a copy of the digital novel and copy the vocab there. Will also do motion verbs.

Am I the only one that thinks that there should be a list of vocab directly aimed at Certain Genres of Light novels and VNs? Or at least to really popular Mangas like One Piece. I mean the color "purple" the word "ant" Never show up but they are in most basic lists of vocab so you learn them as a waste of time.

Well no of course not but to put it in an extreme example if you learn every word in the Japanese language except all or most of the one that come up in the LN that you are looking to read, you still cannot read that LN. Objectively and from a results only point of view, you wasted your time. Eventually I want to be fully fluent but since that takes too long one goal at a time.

How I learned a lot of my 'weird' vocab is translating songs (eroge and anime OPs) that I liked. Since it's a song, the lyrics are pretty much engraved into my head, and once you've translated it, the English meaning sticks.

By 'weird' vocab, I don't mean difficult words. I mean words you don't usually see or use in real life, but may see in eroge or manga.

To show you how effective it is, I learned and memorized all these vocab words in one day from just one song, just with this method:

儚い、不明瞭、虚構、裏側、境界線、残響、囚われ、嘆いた、曖昧、虚像、与える、背負う、穢れる

This is the song in question:

http://goo.gl/A7mgSC