[news] TENCO announces an official all ages PS3 port of Eiyuu Senki

Narcosis

For those who are interested, you can find it here: http://4NN.cx/153129

I rarely talk about releases and subjective matters, but this one is particular since the game is basically made by former members of the now defunct Littlewitch, I used to be really fond of; known for such great titles as Quartett! and Girlish Grimoire and featuring the art of Oyarii Ashito, that studio made quite an impact on general perception how vn's can not only be good enertainment, but hold some artistic values as well. Unfortunately, I don't hold TENCO in such a high regard as I used to before, mainly due to their skewed approach towards western fans (which shares a lot in common with studios like Minori), bad management and major change in how Oyari Ashito approaches his own artwork so far, after his previous studio broke down.

Something tells me this is going to fail anyway, unless becomes a completely mediocre success at all. Meanwhile, TENCO continues to block access to their own services and website for all the foreign IP's.

What I'm hoping for is that someone will be able to translate the 18+ PC version using this release, or that it inspires someone to pick up the dropped translation of it. I'm not sure how possible it would be from a technical stand point, but if someone was able to rip the translation from the PS3 version, then all they would have to do would be to translate the H-scenes and any other small differences. But this may just be me being overly-optimistic because I want to play this game really badly

Bigger harem than Koihime Musou, similar concept, different execution.  Basic battle system is basically sending in a party of up to six generals that fight with the enemy's defense forces (or the reverse) and taking the fortress/city/etc.  Generally speaking, the story is a bit out there (sort of like if Koihime Musou had Lovecraftian elements grafted randomly onto it).  You can only move along certain lines and invade one nation at a time.  Endgame difficulty spikes predictably, though it isn't as hard as a more serious strategy-VN. 

To be honest, if this were just taken on its merits for gameplay, it probably wouldn't garner any attention whatsoever.  In order to make the story make sense, they had to make the progression of your invasion predictable, and as a result, you are restricted greatly.

What I'm hoping for is that someone will be able to translate the 18+ PC version using this release, or that it inspires someone to pick up the dropped translation of it. I'm not sure how possible it would be from a technical stand point, but if someone was able to rip the translation from the PS3 version, then all they would have to do would be to translate the H-scenes and any other small differences. But this may just be me being overly-optimistic because I want to play this game really badly

All-ages PC version would be a batter choice.

I doubt it will happen, since TENCO is currently on a serious lookout for any unofficial TL's. There's a reason why they blocked and DMCA previous english TL. I also doubt that TENCO would ever want to release a western 18+ edition and expand it to the PC market. Even though vn's take a huge portion of the japanese PC gaming market, it's still treated as a foster child compared to the console market. Even the sole fact that visual novels make up to 70% of japense games doesn't change that fact japanese simply do not treat PC's as a main gaming platform, like we do. There's also the issue PC market tends to bring a lot bigger loss in general, than console market, which is much more restricted and thus easier to conrtrol.

The only possibility I could consider "realistic" is the fact that the game will actually have decent sales. They will be so good, that it will actually push TENCO to release the game on PC's as well and then release the 18+ content as an additional DLC (though, I cringe on such idea), or simply release a 18+ patch for those who'd like to have the ero content ingame. I doubt it will ever happen though, since the game is a heavy otaku-pandering srpg reminiscent of Rance series; besides small circles of avid fans, these games were actually never really popular on the west and neither in Japan.

I preassume the sales will be really mediocre at most, and that will only reassure both Oyari and TENCO, that western market isn't worthy of their attention, not to mention they still have a long way to go after Littlewitch's flop back in 2010 (though, it seems ES became quite popular right now and company seems to be doing well so far).

All-ages PC version would be a batter choice.

Bigger harem than Koihime Musou, similar concept, different execution.  Basic battle system is basically sending in a party of up to six generals that fight with the enemy's defense forces (or the reverse) and taking the fortress/city/etc.  Generally speaking, the story is a bit out there (sort of like if Koihime Musou had Lovecraftian elements grafted randomly onto it).  You can only move along certain lines and invade one nation at a time.  Endgame difficulty spikes predictably, though it isn't as hard as a more serious strategy-VN. 

To be honest, if this were just taken on its merits for gameplay, it probably wouldn't garner any attention whatsoever.  In order to make the story make sense, they had to make the progression of your invasion predictable, and as a result, you are restricted greatly.

As Clephas stated, the gameplay is nothing special. For me, the draw of this game is from the combination of a wide variety of H events and Characters with enjoyable story and enjoyable gameplay to pass the time in between (not amazing but enjoyable). Thus there would be little point to an all-ages version of this game. That sounds like a very lukewarm review but that is precisely the type of game I am looking for. If I want fantastic strategy gameplay I'll go play Fire Emblem, If I want a complex emotional story, I'll go play Grisia. But I don't always want that. Sometimes I want nice H, with some story and gameplay sides and Eiyuu Senki provides exactly that. Plus I really enjoy seeing the gender-swapped, reimagined historical figures (yes, i do like the Fate series, how did you know? XD)

I doubt it will happen, since TENCO is currently on a serious lookout for any unofficial TL's. There's a reason why they blocked and DMCA previous english TL. I also doubt that TENCO would ever want to release a western 18+ edition and expand it to the PC market. Even though vn's take a huge portion of the japanese PC gaming market, it's still treated as a faster child compared to the console market. Even the sole fact that visual novels make up to 70% of japense games doesn't change that fact japanese simply do not treat PC's a main gaming platform, like we do. There's also the issue PC market tends to bring a lot bigger loss in general, than console market, which is much more restricted and easier to conrtrol.

The only possibility possibility I could consider "realistic" is the fact that the game will actually have decent sales. They will be so decent, that it will actually push TENCO to release the game on PC's as well and then release the 18+ content as an additional DLC (though, I cringe on such idea), or simply release a 18+ patch for those who'd like to have the ero content ingame. I doubt it will ever happen though, since the game is a heavy otaku-pandering srpg reminiscent of Rance series; besides small circles of avid fans, these games were actually never really popular on the west.

I preassume the sales will be really mediocre at most, and that will only reassure both Oyari and TENCO, that western market isn't worthy of their attention, not to mention they still have a long way to go after Littlewitch's flop back in 2010 (though, it seems ES became quite popular right now and company seems to be doing well so far).

Rather than an official release I'm hoping for a fan translation that does it secretly and ignores the DMCA. tbh I really have very little sympathy for companies that issue DMCA's to kill fan translations and then refuse to release their game in english themselves (see above for why I don't consider the All-Ages version to be an actual release)