Do you think that VNTLS is dead and what should be done about it?

There is lot of forums and blogs copying the information from VNTS and posting it in their own format. If anyone wants to manually do it as well, I might be willing to create a new subforum in the FanTL section.

What VNTLS did differently is that it took the information, processed them and showed them in an interesting fashion with some more information about the projects and stuff, links to homepage etc - that would be really hard to do manually (especially changing every line of text into URL).

Id like to hear opinions of other staff first but I thing the FanTL subsection wouldn't hurt and only the people on that project would have access to create new topics there, others would only be able to comment inside the topics.

The way I see it optimal is

Subforum on FanTL board just for translation updates. Weekly would be best but if you think it's too much then twice a month would suffice in my opinion but it needs to have a fixed schedule.

Threads are created by assigned members only and each update earns its own thread with a date on the title for better organization and easier search. Each thread is open to comments so people can discuss the updates of that particular thread.

The translation update would also be posted on VNAer (by either me, Zaka, Boomer or Kaguya). If you want it can also have a  link to the forum post at the bottom for people who want to come here and discuss as well.

This way you'll have news on translation progress at a fixed schedule, they appear in the "new content" box on the forums and on the VNAer box on the front site so it won't go unnoticed and I think it'd be the best way to get news out there.

As far as who makes the threads I'm voting for copying it from another source like ErogeGames because it doesn't seem logical to me going into every website and updating every single thing when someone else has already done it. But I don't want to be disrespectful to the people who take time to make these posts, hence why if we end up using threads from ErogeGames they should probably be credited at the bottom. 

I see Okami is up for making a list from scratch and I give you props for that but making it from scratch also implies relying on you being here every week on that one day to make the thread which takes time, not to mention you might not be here on a particular day without prior warning and if you're not who's going to make an entire thread from scratch? That's why I believe there should be several people assigned and the threads should use source from somewhere else to spare the "needless" effort and to make it more liable so content can be delivered consistently.

The way I see it optimal is

Subforum on FanTL board just for translation updates. Weekly would be best but if you think it's too much then twice a month would suffice in my opinion but it needs to have a fixed schedule.

Threads are created by assigned members only and each update earns its own thread with a date on the title for better organization and easier search. Each thread is open to comments so people can discuss the updates of that particular thread.

The translation update would also be posted on VNAer (by either me, Zaka, Boomer or Kaguya). If you want it can also have a  link to the forum post at the bottom for people who want to come here and discuss as well.

This way you'll have news on translation progress at a fixed schedule, they appear in the "new content" box on the forums and on the VNAer box on the front site so it won't go unnoticed and I think it'd be the best way to get news out there.

As far as who makes the threads I'm voting for copying it from another source like ErogeGames because it doesn't seem logical to me going into every website and updating every single thing when someone else has already done it. But I don't want to be disrespectful to the people who take time to make these posts, hence why if we end up using threads from ErogeGames they should probably be credited at the bottom. 

I see Okami is up for making a list from scratch and I give you props for that but making it from scratch also implies relying on you being here every week on that one day to make the thread which takes time, not to mention you might not be here on a particular day without prior warning and if you're not who's going to make an entire thread from scratch? That's why I believe there should be several people assigned and the threads should use source from somewhere else to spare the "needless" effort and to make it more liable so content can be delivered consistently.

Yeah, this should work well. I could post in the blog with no problem- copy and paste + a picture of a particular highlighted project wouldn't take more than one minute. Dunno about who would create the threads, though- I'd actually suggest you, since you're the most active member here. 

In case one of us ends up missing a day because of something, we could talk to other members (like zaka or boomer for the blog or any of the other mods for the forums)  beforehand so that they do it.

As for the day, we might as well do it on sunday, like everyone else. No need to delay it.

That was the outline I had, at least.

Well as mentioned, nosebleed, ErogeGames just take the text from http://boards.4chan.org/jp/thread/12092473 and format it for their forums in their colors and whatnot - so it doesn't matter from where you take the text, its about the formatting fitting our forum colors.

Sure you can mention it is from VNTS and also it might be better to copy the EG topic, but then again it will be delayed since you are waiting for Ryu to make the topic there and then remaking it, instead of taking the original source straight away. All you need is to have this page bookmarked and check it around the time a new update is expected: http://boards.4chan.org/jp/catalog#s=Visual%20Novel%20translation%20status

Well as mentioned, nosebleed, ErogeGames just take the text from http://boards.4chan.org/jp/thread/12092473 and format it for their forums in their colors and whatnot - so it doesn't matter from where you take the text, its about the formatting fitting our forum colors.

Sure you can mention it is from VNTS and also it might be better to copy the EG topic, but then again it will be delayed since you are waiting for Ryu to make the topic there and then remaking it, instead of taking the original source straight away. All you need is to have this page bookmarked and check it around the time a new update is expected: http://boards.4chan.org/jp/catalog#s=Visual%20Novel%20translation%20status

Yeah, that should be fine. If we're doing it that way, I'd suggest using blue for the blog and for the forums (we might do it green here, now that I think of it).

Do we start today or next week, though? I wouldn't mind posting it in the blog right now.

Didn't know they took it directly from there.

In that case then copying directly from that board and formatting it is more reasonable and doesn't really need to be credited, you can't really credit an anonymous user aside from saying it's from VNTS. I'd prefer for it to be as little delay as possible so a direct copy sounds fine to me.

Yeah, that should be fine. If we're doing it that way, I'd suggest using blue for the blog and for the forums (we might do it green here, now that I think of it).

Do we start today or next week, though? I wouldn't mind posting it in the blog right now.

I think we should assign people to create the threads on the forums so things can be posted at the same time. Since Okami made this thread I believe he has the right to post there, then there's staff members, I would like to know if there's anyone else interested as well. Though it's not like we need a massive amount of people.

For a somewhat different idea:

The problem with relying Okami is the same problem as relying on VNTL, VNTS, or Ryu; you have a single point of failure.  They are however the most convenient methods.

You could, alternatively, have groups submit their progress to fuwa (with a mod or two to sanitize inputs).  It could be something as simple as a form with fields such as "Enter progress % of #(lines, kb, files, etc)", or a table where the group could break progress down by character or other methods.  This would get rolled up every week and posted, and would be in a convenient format for additional information processing.

This would require the group to do some sort of registration through fuwa, such as announcing a thread in the FanTL section, and will likely have less projects than relying on VNTS or similar.

Of course, I wouldn't mind normal members posting, but I thought the subforum would be locked or something (like letting people post in the threads, but not create threads) so that the place doesn't get clogged. I guess it'll be fine, though.

In case there's no VNTS or anything, we can make it ourselves if worse comes to worse though it'll be delayed most likely.

Of course, I wouldn't mind normal members posting, but I thought the subforum would be locked or something (like letting people post in the threads, but not create threads) so that the place doesn't get clogged. I guess it'll be fine, though.

I think it'll be like the FAQ forum where unless you have permission you can't create a topic but the topics themselves can be open to every users.

First blog post up: http://visualnovelaer.fuwanovel.net/2014/05/vn-translation-status-040514/. Any formatting changes you'd like for next time?

VNTS hasn't failed us yet, but you're right. Implementing that kind of system might be a lot of work (might seem simple, but there are factors that complicated things) though, and we don't really have any coders right now from what I know. Oh well...

First blog post up: http://visualnovelaer.fuwanovel.net/2014/05/vn-translation-status-040514/. Any formatting changes you'd like for next time?

VNTS hasn't failed us yet, but you're right. Implementing that kind of system might be a lot of work (might seem simple, but there are factors that complicated things) though, and we don't really have any coders right now from what I know. Oh well...

The color for the updates is weak and hard to see. Think you should pick something else.

Make sure you dont show the whole post in the main page, only when you open the post (not sure how its done, but show like first 10 lines or so).

As you command, Steve. ...actually, I'm not sure if it's such a big problem, it's really not that long. Any other opinions?

Anyway, the color thing is under consideration, but I'm not sure what exactly to replace it with. Gimme yo hex codes!

I never used VNTLS, I always just used the subforum on erogegames which Kaguya already linked to.

Certainly if there was a subforum for it it would help keep things tidy though it's not a requirement.

If a subforum can't be created then they can be posted on the fan translation board. You could give each thread a common tag so they're easy to find too. Regardless separate threads for each update are more helpful in my opinion.

Also this seems like something the VNAer could use. We don't have a consistent influx of posts so this could help a lot in keeping the blog more active. I would like to use these posts on it. I think it'd be a great way to use them. They'll appear on the main site too which gets more influx than the forum does.

You could make a weekly post highlighting updates to translation projects and linking to the erogegames thread or something.

One project that is still active and not on a list is a project that I myself am part of Akai Ito, last update around less than month ego Translated: Lines 6260/32121 Scripts 126/602 Procents 19.5%/100% Edited: Lines 6260/32121 Scripts 126/602 Procents 19.5%/100% . And there are qute a faw that are not as much active but not officialy dead eather like Dracu-riot!, Aiyoku no Eustia etc. Should I make a list of them so you can add them or we are not puting them?

If you have proof they really are active then it's ok, so Akai Ito could be included. Dracu-riot is pretty damn dead by now, and I imagine Aiyoku is the same. I think if you have an update within... one? Two? months then it's ok to list the project, but otherwise it's a bit meh.

It's not procents, it's percent. And you don't actually have to write percent if you use the sign. It's pretty much either "25 percent" or "25%." Are you from a Nordic country by any chance?

The post in the blog is hard to swallow, we should think of a way to make it better.

s9eoNBp.png

Perhaps something like that, and instead of coloring the updates you make them bold instead. On the other hand I don't know if that would be too tiring or hard.

You should also look for a better green, the one in the blog seems too pale (Just my tastes, though).