So, decided to earnestly learn to be able to read and write Japanese

torbin12

So, I currently have a website that I am using, I plan to go through and learn the alphabet/characters first (Katakana, Hiragana, Kanji{although I think Kanji is technically Chinese characters, arent they?}[a lengthy feat, I know]) so that I can understand them, before going to learning which words mean what, and eventually getting into total bi-linguality.

Although I would assume this would be the understood way to do it, does that sound good? I will be self-teaching, for at least a while, until finances dictate other-wise, so, does anybody know any good websites, blogs, youtube channels, whatever that deal with learning Japanese? Mandarin Chinese will probably be coming at some point too, since that's a pretty employable Translating position (English->Mandarin Chinese->English, etc)

I understand some people say it is difficult, but I do seem to have a knack for linguistics, which I learned about from my time in the military, I was able to grasp Farsi to a almost conversational level with fair ease. I even grasped it well enough for the military to train me up a little as a Secondary Translator for my unit, so I think I should be good enough to get it. I plan to take college for it eventually, as I am thinking of getting employment overseas (from the US to the country) with respect to one of these languages. Plus it will open up a whole new world of VN's :P