Lucid9 (available for free on Steam)

Diamon

• 3 weeks later...

Heroine presentation : Akira

(The main thread has been updated with her graphic, check it out if you can!)

RrADKfr.png

Bright and energetic, Akira loves to fill the screen with excitement.

As a member of the school's drama club, she also has a penchant for adventure.

What could she be up to behind that innocent smile...?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hello everyone! After nearly a month, I believed it would be good to give some news about the project^^

So :

- First, the main page was updated with the new character profiles (+ some extras). The presentation style is different than what we had before and more generally the rest of the thread, it kinda hints at what type of UI we are planning to have for the game (You won't likely find that in the next demo though).

- Second, project is still running well. I have to say plenty of assets have been created over winter break (I won't be putting everything on the thread though of course, because I don't want to spoil people! :P). Writing word count so far is around 140k words which is quite an achievement in itself! The writing for the next demo is nearly ready (part of it still has to go through some editing), it is supposed to have around 80k words, but it might change depending on some factors. To compare, the current day 1 demo has ~7k words.

- Concerning art, most of the sprites are ready (except a few ones that are being worked on). All heroines have now 2 poses! (Yay! :D ). It is not very likely that we'll find the time to create more than one or two CG for the next demo. I really wanted to have one intro CG for each heroine, but I guess it will have to wait for later x)

Backgrounds are a tedious things to work on (especially since we decided to change BG style, we ended up having to redo all the previous backgrounds), but they are looking really awesome thanks to Yuuko, here, take a sneak peek :D

pAJNSlO.jpg

We are still looking for people to help with backgrounds by the way, you don't have to be an artist for that (even though some experience in drawing might help), we just need people with decent-good photoshop skills! (More info on this thread : https://forums.fuwanovel.net/index.php?/topic/7998-recruiting-for-the-lucid9-project/)

- Music is ready as well, except for two tracks that are being worked on.

- Main menu, logo and GUI are being overhauled. Even though probably none of them will be final (=used for the final release), it should be more representing of the general theme of Lucid9, and (hopefully) prettier! 

So as you can see, we're getting close to a new demo release. However, I haven't announced anything yet, and there's a reason for that. It's mainly that Greg, our programmer has personal issues (life happens, it sometimes can't be helped), and it forced us to delay the release date of the 2nd demo since we believe the engine is still not good enough from a reader's perspective. (Basically, you'd play under the same conditions of the current demo, with very minimalist options, and since the duration of the 2nd demo will probably be much longer, it would be very uncomfortable to play the demo). I'm deeply sorry for those who might be awaiting the next demo impatiently, I will have to ask them to wait a little more! While we are waiting for our programmer's situation to improve enough so he can resume working with us, we are also working on alternatives for the worst case scenario (aka if he has to definitely leave the project), so rest assured, a second demo will be released eventually, that I can promise! :)

Finally, I have some questions for the people reading this post and interested in the project.

1. Do you believe the description of the synopsis is fine? Would you like it to be more detailed?

2. For those who might have visited the blog, or for those who frequent it regularly, what kind of blog posts would you like to see?

3. Do you want the Lucid9 project to be more "interactive" with the Fuwanovel community (AMA, polls, events, backstage secrets revealed...)? If you'd like to see a specific type of event created by us on Fuwanovel, don't hesitate to say so!

4. Besides update posts, what kind of posts would you like to read in this thread?

5. Would you be interested in having us trying to take Fuwanovel's people opinion concerning ideas we had, have, or might have considering the development of Lucid9? (Doesn't mean it will necessarily be about writing and plot) Keep in mind that even though I'm asking that, it doesn't mean that it will happen for sure in the future.

Thanks in advance for the people willing to take some time answering those questions! And thanks for all the people supporting us with messages in this thread! It really, really means a lot for us.

Awesome good to see the project still alive, any news on a date for this vn?

I am honestly not able to tell you (because of the issue I mentioned on the previous post). At the same time, I don't want to give people false hope by giving a date when I have no idea if something will be released or not.

Hopefully, something will be released before April. it could be much earlier, but it could also be by the end of March. And if bad stuff happens (it can always happen, unfortunately) it might take longer than that.

• 1 month later...

Welp, long time no news! Actually, it's been one year since the whole project! One whole year!

*feels old*

We've been through many hardships... But we also had a lot of laughs together as a team in Fallen Snow Studios!

Anyway, we are all working very hard on the next demo, at the same time most of us were very busy with mid-terms (hence why the lack of news, I apologize for that).

The deadline is set to April 3rd! We'll do our best to make it in time! :)

SO YES, NEW DEMO SCHEDULED FOR APRIL 3RD, YOU HEARD THIS RIGHT.

Once again, the date is not absolute. We might be able to release it sooner, or later if bad stuff happens. That's how it is :s

Have a screenshot in the meanwhile :

b3nqH5c.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

And the demo 2.0 is now officially out!   :wafuu: 

You can play it here : http://lucid9.weebly.com/play.html

Don't hesitate to share your opinions, impressions and comments on this thread! Any feedback is welcome!

For those who have the time, here is a list of questions we'd like you to answer  :

1. Did you encounter any technical problem with the engine?
  2. During your playthrough, what aspect of the VN did you enjoy the most?
  3. What do you think could be improved?
  4. Which character do you like the most?
  5. What do you think of the art?
  6. What do you think of the audio?
  7. What do you think of the writing?
  8. Did you enjoy playing through the demo?

*brews hot cocoa*

*heats some pastries*

*wears favourite headphones*

*starts game* :heart:

Edit:

Ok read it all. I had a blast.
I just hope that was all, right? I mean, after that last scene at the forest nothing happened even when saving or refreshing. XD

Soooo, my impressions...

Oh yea first some snarky comments to break tension :

NSAe72Z.png

GFC plushie! and a Yama one too! :o Did Rui make it? aaand a Random lemon. :P

pdKqSoU.png

MAI WAIFUUUU! MOE IS OVER 9000!

9VyXJp4.png

Totally digging this logo! would eat there for sho!

1SqqnE5.png

some easter eggs here (apparently shoutouts to Dia)
"Dia stinx" and "Dia smells goats" oh dear.... XD

TA3ZfBu.png

What happened here? :o Some aggresive aliasing, variants of this sprite don't have this issue tho.

6u8gUkq.png

I'm calling it. Boat drive- I mean teacher is always the killer . MUAHAHAHA.

And now off to impressions:

What I loved:

Character interactions are solid and a joy to read. Prose is fluid and well composed.

Character designs are varied and quirky and backgrounds are absolutely gorgeous.

Can I marry Dizzyworld's art btw? I have the necessary papers for it!

I also like the UI design very much, simple but elegant. Minimalist design FTW! (Not related at all to my own approach to design) :P

The title screen is so full of win too, not to mention the seamless coding put into place. Sprites move and interact with others so

naturally and music is on cue. Props to the programmer; it's quite hard to sort out bugs and make things perform as one likes. XD

What I liked:

Male sprites are expressive and their poses also very natural. Music is great and it fits the scenes nicely, skits are funny too and

I'm digging the chibi cg's. The SoL portions of the demo (which are 95% of it :P) are very well done and I had a blast reading through them.

What I disliked:

There is some inconsistency in the writing. At times too poetic, sometimes too frilly and at times quite casual. I guess this is normal when you have more than one writer
but I think this can be fixed by putting the writers on the same page so that there's no schizophrenic writing.

Some narration bits and Shigure's speech are overloaded with witty and flowery language. It's not unwelcome but it breaks the otherwise natural flow and feels forced.
Not exactly an issue, as I'm just nitpicking but I feel it's best to tell you what I honestly think.

There's a lack of narrative hook to draw readers in. At least immediate, which could simply mean that your VN has a slow start. No biggie. Problem is that you said this

demo covers half the common route and I only found myself drawn in near the end, when the detectivey bits kicked in. If I didn't know L9 is a mystery novel I could have

thought it was a romcom SoL. (Not a bad thing again, forgive my bluntness) So consider this: If you're aiming for a short common, then make things start off quicker.

Indulging too much on SoL for a 4 hour common with a mystery murder setting is a bit odd.

Personal nitpicking:

These are not issues, just my personal opinion on certain aspects of your demo.

*There's a very stark contrast when comparing Dizzyworld's and Elphaze's art. The both are fantastic but their styles differ too much

to blend together correctly. Dizzy's style is neat, colorful and detailed. While Elphaze is more rough and more focused on straight lines.

*The detective questions that Shigure throws you when you meet her feel a bit odd, more than filling the dots and deducing, it feels more

like a trivia. The detective test at night however, now that was interesting

* On that note.. young girl, middle schooler alone at night on the most dangerous part of the city? either she's up to something or that's

the weirdest "boy meets girl" scene I've seen XD. I don't think I trust that girl ._.L

Overall I liked it very, very much and I'm thrilled to see what happens next! Please make it longer! Your story, your characters deserve it!

1. Did you encounter any technical problem with the engine? None to report
  2. During your playthrough, what aspect of the VN did you enjoy the most? Art and character interactions
  3. What do you think could be improved? Sound effects need a bit more presence, some of the writing needs work so it blends better.
  4. Which character do you like the most? Do you even have to ask? Rui of course!!! this ship has already sailed. ;)
  5. What do you think of the art? Gorgeous. I love it. My only gripe is that both artists need to reach a compromise to avoid the stark differences.
  6. What do you think of the audio? Music is great and fits nicely. SFX requires more presence tho.
  7. What do you think of the writing? Very good, fluid, and a joy to read most of the time, a bit schizophrenic at times though.
  8. Did you enjoy playing through the demo? OH YES! :D