Do you prefer VNs with true rout or without one?

Okami

57 members have voted

1. 1. Do you prefer VNs with true rout or without one?

• I like when VNs have a true rout
    • I prefer that VN doesn't have a true route, so all routes can be equal
    • I don't care, it's ok both ways

This poll is closed to new votes

I'm not against true routes, but I prefer VN that doesn't have one yeah, because a "true ending" is something imposed to the player, if there are heroines routes, it's a lot better to consider each of them as "what-if", thus the fanbase is always satisfied. (And a true route isn't always superior to the sides-routes)

It really depends on the vn in my opinion so for me it's both ways.

For romance type vns, I like them wtih no true route because then I know that any route can be the "true" one for me and when there's a defined true route I am forced to accept that the other heroines' routes aren't as canon which saddens me slightly when I like a heroine more than the true one. 

But for non romantic vns a true route is a nice thing to have so you can conclude the story. In these cases I prefer there to be a true route.

Depends on the VN,specifically the genre. Like Mystery/Suspense type VNs would usually require a true route to explain all the stuff. Or maybe in some type of unique romance VN where something happened to the MC in the past like ShiniKiss or Hoshizora could do with a true route

and well basically i prefer without one(unless its good like Ever17) usually cuz i dun wanna read through all heroines routes always ._.

I also prefer that there is no true route as I often prefer the heroines outside of it, an example that comes to me immediatley is Tomoyo and Kyou in Clannad. I liked AS but as far as the characters went, those two girls were my favourites. On the flip side, when a VN has an overarching story I feel that a true route is necessary to tie everything up satisfactorily. 

I always liked games that had no true route,because if there is a  true route in the game,I'm forced to accept it.

For example,Visual Novels with romance.Sometimes,I love certain characters and decide that their routes are the "true endings of the game" for me,but if there's a True Route,I'm forced to (90% of times) like a character I don't like.

Huuuuuuuuh,kinda confusing what I wrote :D

I dislike routes that are clearly better for characters involved, i.e. if something terrible would happen to the character if you weren't on that specific route.  This isn't limited to true routes, but there is a lot of overlap.  Once I know what would happen to that character if I don't go on that route, it just makes me feel guilty about choosing any other routes.

I do like story-focused (rather than heroine-focused) VNs to have a true or grand route.  In a normal charage or moege, it doesn't make much sense to have one, though.  With nakige, it depends on whether there is an over-arching plot, rather than being focused on the romantic elements or the heroines.  Most chuuni games have true or grand routes because the overarching story is more important than the individual heroines.  This is also why story-focused games tend to have longer individual routes that split off earlier from the common route. 

'True heroines' are a bit more questionable...   It depends on whether the heroine is worth it.  Heroines such as Eustia from Aiyoku no Eustia are unworthy of being the focus of a true route, but ones like Kagome from Comyu most definitely are. 

There are some games, like Rewrite, that would be unworthy of mention without their true routes.  Others, such as Eustia, are actually harmed by the presence of a true route or a true heroine.  Shizuku from Evolimit is a decent true heroine, but her path as the true path is what makes sense, because it ties up most of the loose ends that were left dangling in the other paths while giving the character a definite sense of choice about how things turn out (there are three endings in her route... and they are definitely distinctly different). 

True routes somehow came to hold the promise of a better story for me, to such an extent that if a VN doesn't have a true route, it almost takes away from my enjoyment. I guess I like the stories with a grand finale, and not just a bunch of different endings.

True routes somehow came to hold the promise of a better story for me, to such an extent that if a VN doesn't have a true route, it almost takes away from my enjoyment. I guess I like the stories with a grand finale, and not just a bunch of different endings.

Well,sometimes a character's route is way better than the True Ending (most cases,in my opinion),but then again,this is your opinion so meh :D.

When it's appropriate, I like to have "what if" possibilities developed properly. Whether those branches are even or are offshoots off a true end doesn't matter so much.

In consideration of the feeling of "reaching the end" of a novel, a true end is much preferable.

My ideal sort of Side Routes:

-develop the heroine

-build up the inner dilemma that leads to the choice(s) and show how the choice(s) the MC made differently reflect their resolve. Show what direction the MC develops in, in contrast to the other routes.

-(necessarily) have a plot and resolution. This one is tricky to do when there's a true route, unless you have heroines/routes with different objectives to set up a plot around.

-widen the player's appreciation of the setting

Personally, I'm a big fan of a strong common route and heroine specific side-stories.  Too often true routes end up devaluing the other heroines -- and, most of the time, if there's a true route nearly all of the other heroines have half-assed routes.  In the end, I don't really care, but I definitely prefer strong common routes where everything branches off at near the same point in the overall story.

I do prefer ones with a true route, and I never feel forced to play them. Even when I like another heroine that's not the main one, I was never troubled to play the true route, and the fact that my favorite heroine doesn't get a good true route doesn't bother me at all. A good story and writing would be able to compensate for that. I don't like Natsume Rin as a character, but I like the true route despite being centered around her. And Little Busters is nothing without Refrain.

Also, true routes are a must for certain plots. I can't imagine Steins;Gate to not have a true route, the story was build up on a plot point centered around one particular heroine, taking away this scene would greatly flaw the story.

*ahem*  *ahem* *Steins;Gate* *ahem* *Kurisu sucks" *ahem* *Mayuri FTW* *ahem*

Nagisa stahp. Nagisa