Japanese Skills Survey

Yeah Way

Japanese Skills Survey  

45 members have voted

1. 1. Of the following, what can you do?

• Read and write kana
    • Read and write grade 1 kanji
    • Read and write advanced kanji
    • Understand basic clauses
    • Have short conversation with comprehensible pronunciation
    • Have conversation at length
    • Read large texts with translation assistance
    • Read large texts without translation assistance
    • None of the above! (あほやな~)

This poll is closed to new votes

If you know standard Japanese then I think you can pick up Kansai from just reading, or watching stuff like Telepathy Shoujo Ran which prominently features a character from there.

Off the cuff mainly I think of "ya" replacing "da" and "hen" replacing "nai"...but of course I realize there's more to it than that

So, maybe take a look at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kansai_dialect if you're curious

It's kind of long-winded, but the part called "Well-Known Words" is useful if you compare the columns "Kansai-ben" and "Standard Japanese"

I can only write the kana and basic Kanji since I mostly 'write' Japanese digitally (computers, online, etc..) so didn't really learn actual writing skills seriously. In terms of reading/listening/conversational skills however I'm around the JLPT N4 proficiency level (passed this last year). Aiming to sit for level N3 end of this year.

関西弁さいごやで!大好きや!もう関東弁しょうもない~。

関西弁っていうのは関弁してくれってやつ

Having not studied them directly kanji's not my strong point. I still confuse kanji from words I know (sorting that out as I go), nor do know on-yomi readings for that many. I can read ordinary text (non-literature, non-specific) and usually get the main points of it without using a dictionary.  Going for N1 in December.