Japanese Skills Survey

Yeah Way

Japanese Skills Survey  

45 members have voted

1. 1. Of the following, what can you do?

• Read and write kana
    • Read and write grade 1 kanji
    • Read and write advanced kanji
    • Understand basic clauses
    • Have short conversation with comprehensible pronunciation
    • Have conversation at length
    • Read large texts with translation assistance
    • Read large texts without translation assistance
    • None of the above! (あほやな~)

This poll is closed to new votes

I don't have a lot of problems with it. Remembering it by the most common meaning and without learning the readings is simple enough. Going for the readings would make it nigh impossible, and even the meanings range pretty badly sometimes.

At my current pace, I can learn 20 new kanji and 25 new words by spending 3 hours a day (though I can't always find the motivation, unfortunately).

I don't know if one could rely on machine translation to handle the kanji, but it kind of sucks to read VNs in windowed mode. But in any case, the more kanji you know the less discouraged you get when looking at actual Japanese text, so it's kind of a confidence boost.

I'm somewhere in between the first and second, since I can do #1 but I don't know the readings or more than one potentially misleading meaning for the ~600-700 kanji I can recognize (plus I don't learn in education order.)

I'm not sure if I should tick the causes one because I still get confused by は vs が sometimes despite tae kim's, plus not many helper words or w/e you call them like から etc.

Meh, ticking only first option then.

I've bought the textbook "Genki I", and I've come to the 4th lesson now. I can read (but not write by hand quite yet) both hiragana and katakana. Haven't touched kanji yet, though I know some of the very basic ones (time, day, month, weekdays etc.). It's really fun though, so I'm definitely going to keep studying!

Funny I can read loads of kanji's, but I can't write them. So I can't really tick of the boxes haha.

私はあほやな~

God I hate your dialect. 

Kansai dialect? Either way I agree that's annyoing indeed lol.

Funny I can read loads of kanji's, but I can't write them. So I can't really tick of the boxes haha.

Same here.

Not sure why one would even bother learning to write in this age, I don't write by hand even in my native language.

Also, applied for this summer JLPT, taking N3. I know much more kanji and words than needed for it, but my vocab is mostly VN-based and doesn't align well with what needed for N2/N1, so doing it gradually.

Same here.

Not sure why one would even bother learning to write in this age, I don't write by hand even in my native language.

Also, applied for this summer JLPT, taking N3. I know much more kanji and words than needed for it, but my vocab is mostly VN-based and doesn't align well with what needed for N2/N1, so doing it gradually.

I suppose it's needed if you are going to do tests and do general living in japan or something. I honestly have no plans for either for atleast some time, so I just focus on reading and grammar.

That being said I do want to pass the JLPT N1 exam once. Luckely I am not in a hurry to do that.

Good luck on your exam!