Rewrite Protagonist... Am I the only one?

AMMSY

I started to read Rewrite after looking around the web for a new VN to dive into.

Long story short, Rewrite was commonly at the top of the lists, and it was a KEY game, so I guess why not?

I reached to a few in game days and its the first time I can really say I don't like the protagonist.

I've played a few VNs by now, Cross Channel, Grisaia No Kajitsu, Katawa Shoujo, Hoshizora no Memoria, and Maji de Watashi ni Koishinasai.

I don't say all of these VNs protagonists were perfect.. But god this guy is just stupid ><"

So basically my question is, why do people love Rewrite so much? or to be more specific, Is the protagonist gonna stop acting like a moron at some point?

I can see where you're coming from, but I still love him. Most people find his behaviour funny. I can only assume you don't. Even then, he's certainly not "stupid". If you don't care for the story to much, open the spoiler for more.

It's an act. He's extremely awkward: always has been. Really, he's a pretty moody snappish guy; and you'll see that from time to time pop up in the common route.

I can see where you're coming from, but I still love him. Most people find his behaviour funny. I can only assume you don't. Even then, he's certainly not "stupid". If you don't care for the story to much, open the spoiler for more.

It's an act. He's extremely awkward: always has been. Really, he's a pretty moody snappish guy; and you'll see that from time to time pop up in the common route.

^Pretty much.

His funny side is just the outside.

#VN too d33p 4 you :D

Also you don't find Key humor good!? Bad boy! *spank*

I see. Thank you.

I find it amazing how you can complain about any protagonist after getting through Cross Channel.  :lol:

On a more serious note though, don't take the MC for how he acts at first. In a lot of cases there's much more to the MC than first meets the eye.

Awesome reply. when thinking about it, in Rewrite he is not as bad as he was in Cross Channel - thou in Cross Channel it felt different for some reason, like he didnt want to be the way he was, even from the start.

Well I guess I can understand that his humor is a bit "Hit or miss".

But still, you will discover different sides of his personality during each route, and what's make him very likeable is that he's probably one of the MC who has the best character growth and evolution throughout a VN. 

I find it amazing how you can complain about any protagonist after getting through Cross Channel.  :lol:

I might be exaggerating, but to be honest I think Tachi is the most human protags I've seen in a VN.

He is arguably broken beyond repair and still tries to live as he can. Luckely most people aren't as messed up as Tachi

I might be exaggerating, but to be honest I think Tachi is the most human protags I've seen in a VN.

He is arguably broken beyond repair and still tries to live as he can. Luckely most people aren't as messed up as Tachi

I think what he means is the first impression, before the story really gets going and you find out the truth. At least, that's how I see it.

I think what he means is the first impression, before the story really gets going and you find out the truth. At least, that's how I see it.

Exactly what Funnerific said. I've ended up really liking Tachi in the end, but when you start reading the VN and the weirdness just hits you right in the face, it takes quite some time to adjust.

Kotarou is one of my favorite VN protagonists. Partially because he's just so different from the standard. He's an actual genuinely funny guy who is funny because he tries to be, and not just because he's a hopeless idiot that everyone makes fun of. And it's pretty interesting when you find out why he's the way he is. Now, the Kotarou in the final chapter, I didn't like as much.  But I count them as almost different people entirely.

Edit: For a little bit more on why I like him, I think him being funny is just a small part of it. Really, it's because he has a strong personality in general. Most VN protagonists seem to fall into one archetype, the nice guy who is mostly devoid of any real personality. They're meant to be ciphers for the player, characters players can project themselves onto. So most VN makers intentionally give their protags a weak personality so they can't conflict as much with the players' own emotions. You can barely even call them characters, often. So whenever a VN handles the protagonist differently, I find it really refreshing. Kotarou has more personality than 95% of all other VN protagonists. The downside to this is that you have people like the OP and Clephas who end up finding him annoying. This is natural for anyone if the protagonist's own actions and thoughts conflict with what the players' want out of that character. that's the danger of having a non-cipher character take the leading role.

I found kotarou (both common and terra) to be one of the best/most interesting protagonists. He is the way he is in the common route because he wanted life to mean something but if you don't like him now I guess the way his personality changes during certain events would appeal to you more... especially terra.

I don't get why you dislike him, I don't remember him doing anything bad... Anyway, it's because you didn't see Chaos;Head, the MC is a bastard SOB, I can't believe how he's so pathetic... I dropped the VN because of him, and I don't plan to resume it.

B-But I liked Takumi for exactly those reasons. :D It was one of the first VNs I've ever read, so I might be biased when it comes to C;H, but I found Takumi being a pathetic hikkikomori much more entertaining than a regular bland MC. Well, I just honestly found him quite easy to relate to in certain cases, just not in such an extreme amount, of course. I also had no idea how the delusion triggers worked, so avoiding all the ecchi might've made it more bearable too?

B-But I liked Takumi for exactly those reasons. :D It was one of the first VNs I've ever read, so I might be biased when it comes to C;H, but I found Takumi being a pathetic hikkikomori much more entertaining than a regular bland MC. Well, I just honestly found him quite easy to relate to in certain cases, just not in such an extreme amount, of course. I also had no idea how the delusion triggers worked, so avoiding all the ecchi might've made it more bearable too?

Well the delusion triggers did a big part on my hate for him. I mean, either he's a pathetic pessimistic thinking someone he just met is going to kill him or gonna die; or he's a perverted bastard who thinks a girl he never saw before is going to confess or do lewd thing to him... even his sister...