Witch's Garden Translation Project [TLC NEEDED]

NeroDragon12

23 minutes ago, SpecterZ said:

That is why I'm really passive about seeking new member.

I have some fact to tell you too. (just leave this in this forum, I don't want more drama)

- No matter who you are, there is a chance you will make a mistake when you work for a long time.

- Translator is neither English nor Japanese native and isn't a professional translator either, don't expect the perfect translation.

- We don't accept any donation. Our work is purely free.

- We don't have enough resource, time or man power to afford a translation with enough quality to satisfy everyone.

- Translator stated he will quit if drama is out of control no matter he is right or wrong. If that happens, it means this project will be either stalled or dropped.

You might not know how many sacrifice translator has to make for this project and the work condition alone is enough to make him quit several time.

PS: I think I can't expected any translation progress this week. He said he need to take a long good rest and some VN to play to clear his mind of what was happened lately.

So what you're saying is those mistakes on the tests are genuine mistakes? Of course we're all only human and we're bound to make mistakes, and like you said, you're not professionals and you're volunteering your hard work, so of course we can't expect professional work. I myself personally expect that I put out the quality of professional work when I finally get involved with a fan-translation project. I want to proof read everything for someone's project to ensure it all makes sense and there are no grammatical errors. But that's what I expect from myself personally and that's what I want to give to the project I end up being allowed to work with.

I have to say I'm curious about the translator, I'm sure it's not easy translating Japanese to English, there's no way I could do it, and I greatly respect anyone attempting to do it themselves. But is he the only translator in your project? Are there normally more than one translators in these fan-translation VN projects? If he is the only translator, I can imagine it being way too stressful and hard work for one person to do on their own. And he doesn't sound as committed to the project as he may have once been due to the stress, it might even be best for him to take a break and maybe go back to the drawing board with looking for more translators to help.

And I'lldrop the reddit debate and ignore any further drama regarding translations. I don't want to cause any stress for your translator, even if he has done some mistakes, he's done an incredible job by himself so far.

18 minutes ago, Forgetful Frank said:

So what you're saying is those mistakes on the tests are genuine mistakes? Of course we're all only human and we're bound to make mistakes, and like you said, you're not professionals and you're volunteering your hard work, so of course we can't expect professional work. I myself personally expect that I put out the quality of professional work when I finally get involved with a fan-translation project. I want to proof read everything for someone's project to ensure it all makes sense and there are no grammatical errors. But that's what I expect from myself personally and that's what I want to give to the project I end up being allowed to work with.

I have to say I'm curious about the translator, I'm sure it's not easy translating Japanese to English, there's no way I could do it, and I greatly respect anyone attempting to do it themselves. But is he the only translator in your project? Are there normally more than one translators in these fan-translation VN projects? If he is the only translator, I can imagine it being way too stressful and hard work for one person to do on their own. And he doesn't sound as committed to the project as he may have once been due to the stress, it might even be best for him to take a break and maybe go back to the drawing board with looking for more translators to help.

And I'lldrop the reddit debate and ignore any further drama regarding translations. I don't want to cause any stress for your translator, even if he has done some mistakes, he's done an incredible job by himself so far.

I don't know about test because it is nero's job. I just help him managing his project and post the update. :P

7 hours ago, SpecterZ said:

I don't know about test because it is nero's job. I just help him managing his project and post the update. :P

Ahh, I see! Okay well I really hope the project can find some TLC's very soon! Like I've said, I'd be more than happy to offer my services in ensuring the writing is written correctly with proper spellings and grammar when the time comes that your project needs it! ^_^

Those mistakes weren't on the TLC test like you were assuming. Those seem like genuine mistakes.

To be perfectly frank, if that's how the translation is, then it's not a big surprise why you aren't getting TLC volunteers. It would just be akin to retranslating the game at that point, wouldn't it?

2 hours ago, Decay said:

Those mistakes weren't on the TLC test like you were assuming. Those seem like genuine mistakes.

To be perfectly frank, if that's how the translation is, then it's not a big surprise why you aren't getting TLC volunteers. It would just be akin to retranslating the game at that point, wouldn't it?

Yeah, that is what I fear. This might be the last straw for this project.

Our team's morale is rock bottom and only 1 active person left on this project.

What is the point to keep this project running if it is going to end up stalled because of that.

It might be better if Nero and I drop this project instead of waste our time for something no one will appreciate.

7 hours ago, SpecterZ said:

Yeah, that is what I fear. This might be the last straw for this project.

Our team's morale is rock bottom and only 1 active person left on this project.

What is the point to keep this project running if it is going to end up stalled because of that.

It might be better if Nero and I drop this project instead of waste our time for something no one will appreciate.

Why do you say that :cry:

That's a bad idea. A lot of people are waiting for this translation, don't assume no one will apreciate it, that's rude for us and for yourself. 

You and Nero are doing Godlike work, we all know it and we trust you, don't forget that.

I'm still hoping for this project. Don't let some arrogant whiners ruin your motivation. If you do decide to drop it I'd appreciate it if you would at least release what you have done so far. I'll at least get to read it partially with good translations. The rest would be good ol visual novel reader and machine translations...

4 hours ago, Codesterz said:

I'm still hoping for this project. Don't let some arrogant whiners ruin your motivation. If you do decide to drop it I'd appreciate it if you would at least release what you have done so far. I'll at least get to read it partially with good translations. The rest would be good ol visual novel reader and machine translations...

Nope :P 

Next one is my whining, ignore if you don't want to read.

Spoiler

I said I "Might" and I didn't say "I'm going to" drop this project.

We are working for free. If you don't like it, don't take it.

BTW, This week's progress. He is at his own limit and really need a rest.

TL : +315 lines

Edited by SpecterZ
Weekly report :P

I just like to say that this is purely something we did because we though it would be interesting to do, we're not pros just a couple dudes trying their hands at something. the issue concerning the translation mistake is true but like Spec said, translator doesn't speak native English and is still learning Japanese but so what, this project was something we wanted to do as a hobby and was also a way to really be immersed in the Japanese language while also hoping to improve our understanding of it. I won't tell people not complain but at least I hope everyone remembers that fan translators are not the same as professional translators.

Well, i think it's great when people take the initiative to do things like this regardless how skilled they are. It's one hell of a job that requires a insane amount of time and dedication. I think it's really disrespectful when people start complaining unless it's meant in a way to notify translators of errors so that they can fix it, or generally trash talking translators who are doing their best and gives us a chance to actually read the visual novel. It's a 100 times better than not getting to read it at all. 

respect to all translators out there doing this for the love of spreading VNs to the community!

i think people should just shut up if they are not going to say something good

it is fine if they are part of the translation group but if not there are good ways to voice your criticism

11 hours ago, Stormwolf said:

Well, i think it's great when people take the initiative to do things like this regardless how skilled they are. It's one hell of a job that requires a insane amount of time and dedication. I think it's really disrespectful when people start complaining unless it's meant in a way to notify translators of errors so that they can fix it, or generally trash talking translators who are doing their best and gives us a chance to actually read the visual novel. It's a 100 times better than not getting to read it at all. 

Yeah, that is the reason our team's translator want to stay anonymous. He hates drama like this.

At the worst case, we will finish it and create private patch for people who want it. :P 

Suzuno's route is almost done (last checked is 6 scripts left and 1 H-scene) but I lost contact with nero (again) :komari:

Note from translator: Xcom2 will be released this weekend. If nero doesn't contact me, I might take a (long) break and kill some alien. :P