For love of VNs: Chicken Soup for the Soul

Clephas

This list is entirely devoted to VNs that serve to provide healing, light catharsis, laughs, and warm fuzzy feelings.  Understand, most of the games on this list will be moege, charage, or nakige, with almost no exceptions.  Some of these, I would not rate highly by my own tastes, but in the eyes of someone seeking this quality, would be awesome.  I WILL NOT provide a translated list, as the last time I played a translated VN was more than three years ago, and thus others would be a better judge of what to include in the translated portion of it (hint, hint, Kaguya, Steve, and other Fuwa vets).  A great story is generally not a requirement for this type of game, which is why I didn't always give them as high a rating as they would deserve from fans of the genre.  Heavy drama (outside of the 'it is definitely going to end happily' type that you get in nakige) is not acceptable.  I am going to be very picky for this list, as games that leave you with a bad aftertaste or leave you wondering why you bothered waste people's time, lol. (Hoshimemo would be borderline out of bounds, if you want a clear marker of what not to include.  This kind of game has to be almost devoid of violence and meant to heal or soothe)

Untranslated:

Haruka ni Aogi, Uruwashi no (seriously, this game is my universal recommendation from this type)

Moshimo Ashita ga Harenaraba

Otome wa Boku ni Koishiteru ~Futari no Elder~ (rare example of sequel far surpassing the original in every aspect)

Toppara Zashiki Warashi no Hanashi

Sukimazakura to Uso no Machi (yes, this starts out kind of sadly, but its generally light nature and characters definitely make it soothing)

Koisuru Natsu no Last Resort (as I said in my comments on this game, it is like a much weaker imitation of Uruwashi no)

Clover Days (another recent addition, perfect example of a light charage with no serious drama that isn't solved relatively quickly)

Chiisana Kanojo no Serenade (pure moe, stops just short of moeblob, totally light, no really serious drama)

Kaminoyu (no human heroines... but this game is enormously soothing and decently funny)

Shiro no Pikapika Ohoshi-sama (this was the game that came to mind when I thought of making this list)

LoveKami

Sakura Bitmap

Strawberry Nauts

Tenshin Ranman - Lucky or Unlucky!?

Natsuiro Recipe

AI Love: Koisuru Otome wa Kikai-jikake

YES I am being very picky about this list.  Not every nakige is soothing/healing for the reader, and not every moege is capable of providing easy laughs and adorable cuteness.  The basic reasoning behind all of these choices is: emotional release from sympathy/empathy with the characters and an overall sense of relief of pent-up non-violent stress for the reader.  I could have put up to three times this many games up here if I'd been less picky... but then I would have been wasting the readers' time. 

Have fun, yall. 

• 1 year later...
  • 2 months later...

Oh my, Clover Days is actually going to finish some time this century, isn't it? Thank you ittaku.

Hah, well it took me 7 years to finish To Heart 2 by myself... but there were a lot of circumstances surrounding that.

Well, you kept at it and finished it, even after all those years. You have my respect!