Friendship between the sexes

AnimalSoundss

Ok, so I've been playing Grisaia and there was a discussion on....I think it was Sachi's route? Don't worry, no real spoilers here :) Well, the discussion was if males and females could truly become friends/best friends without it becoming sexual at any point. As a guy, every guy friend i've ever made has never had any type of sexual attraction, it's normal for me. But to be friends and best friends with a girl and for it never to become sexual at any point, just friends? I'm not sure it's entirely possible, mabe because of instinct. Thoughts?

Hm in my school days I had a best female friend and never had any problem with it and that was the time I was thinking the most about sex.

These days I am 2d only and don't care about 3d girls so it is also easy, I just treat both genders equally.

It's possible as long as she friendzones you you'll never have that kind of relationship.

For a more serious answer it depends on how you define friendship. For me friends are people who i chat and have a good time with. I treat both male and female friends the same way because i don't have any interest in a deeper relationship. If a guy treats a female friend in a different manner they treat a male friend (by different i mean acting all well mannered and hugging and stuff with her and trying to be their bestie) then it's bound to create a different relationship which usually leads to other types of feelings (lust is a good example) and that's when i believe a normal friendship is impossible since one of the parties clearly has different intentions even if subconsciously and they're not seeing them as regular friends anymore.

So in my opinion just treat both genders equally, if all you want to do is become friends then there is no problem for a guy to become friends with a girl. If you want hugs and cuddles then you're not trying to be their friends and this is when friendship is impossible from my point of view.

Well yea of course treat everyone equally, and of course it is definitely possible to be close friends with the opposite sex. But to have it NEVER get to a point of attraction? I'd think there would be at least one time you would want to date them, especially if you ARE close friends. I'm not talking about ppl you see every day at school for an hour, and thats it. I'm talking about true friends, hang out outside of work/school, etc. I'm not sure it can happen, personally

Isn't that what they call a girlfriend?

You're not supposed to be hanging out with a girl all the time if she's JUST your friend. Sorry but even my best friends don't hang out with me daily, if a girl happened to she probably wouldn't be my friend or at least i wouldn't see her as that. If you get to that level of closeness she's got to be interested in you and vice versa or else she's friendzoned you really hard and sees you as her gay shopping buddy.

@Nosebleed    Not necessarily. Hanging out all the time doesn't mean it has to be sexual, I used to hang out with my best guy friend every day, we were roomates. It's just being really good friends. But with the opposite sex, yea i agree it might be impossible to be that close of friends without it turning into more.

@MrAldred   So no attraction whatsoever, and there never was? You guys really close, hang out a lot?

@Nosebleed    Not necessarily. Hanging out all the time doesn't mean it has to be sexual, I used to hang out with my best guy friend every day, we were roomates. It's just being really good friends. But with the opposite sex, yea i agree it might be impossible to be that close of friends without it turning into more.

@MrAldred   So no attraction whatsoever, and there never was? You guys really close, hang out a lot?

I wouldn't be able to stand hanging out with anyone every day, that seems very tiring.

I agree with Flutterz, i wouldn't be able to hang out with someone so often, i'd need to like her as a girl to be able to do that and even then i'd have to be really lovestruck to hang out 24/7

So yeah being that close just as a friend is impossible. The only girl i see this often is my sister.

Well, do you live with any family, a sister or something? It's kinda like that, but you actually get to pick who you live with lol. Being roomates with a good friend and seeing each other about every day isnt bad, though if that roomate happened to be female.....sounds like a VN plot lol.

@MrAldred I guess that kinda makes sense....but your other friends DID at least have those feeling, at least for a bit. Maybe youre just a rare case?? lol

...or they're masochists.

*Cough* *Cough*

My favorite classmate just happens to be a girl, so yeah, no sexual relationships between opposites genders do exist.

I don't have such a feelings for 3D to begin with, but if I had to use a 2D example then, Misaka Mikoto is one of my favorite female characters but I have no sexual interest in her.

Guest hairybumslapper

It depends on the girl really. As far as friendship goes, i tend to get along more with tomboyish girls more so than regular girls, since.. well, it's pretty self explanatory. I could never be just "friends" with a feminine pretty girl, since i would have trouble hiding my boner.

No guy in their right mind would want a female roommate unless they're interested in her, dating her or they're masochists.

I have 4 female roommates, it's honestly not that bad. Well we're actually renting a house together so we all have our own separate bedrooms we just live in different rooms.

I have female friends that I use to hang out with everyday. There were times when we both were just friends, there were times when they didn't like me but I liked them, times when they liked me but I didn't  like them (or I was too stupid too realize they liked me. I was like a dumb harem protagonist in my youth). There was even times when I dated them. Most relationships are possible but I'm not sure how they happen, they just kind of happen.

On a side note I'm not friend-zoned because I'm gay. I'm friend-zoned because I'm either too dense to realize they like me and I friend-zone them, it takes me a lot to actually fall in love with someone and with most of my female friends I'm just not interested in that kind of relationship. 

Strange topic.

Of course it is possible. That doesn't mean you can't think of your friends being pretty or attractive but that doesn't imply a sexual relationship.

Friendship can lead to romance but it's absolutely not an obligation.

I'm not saying it's impossible to have female roommates, if you have other stuff to worry about then it shouldn't really bother you as long as you keep some distance. I wouldn't even want a roommate regardless of wether they were male or female but living together with a girl sounds a lot more troublesome simply because we'd most likely have totally different lifestyles. Of course i'd try not to care much but if someone is living with you you should probably have some type of relationship, and doing that with a girl without creating secondary feelings might be tough and that's what i was getting at. This is when i'm grateful one of my good female friends is a lesbian.

its very possible if u get along,have mutual interests(like anime maybe?),have known each other for a while and stuff like that.

i never had female friends(only on a classmate relation at most) but thats mostly because i never met anyone with similar interests as me. Very rare in my country to find people as deeply interested in anime,vn,manga etc as me

• 2 months later...
Guest sakanaとkoeda

Yes, it's possible. Relationships are variable and complex, and maybe more so between the sexes, so it's certainly within the possibilities. There wouldn't be much of a society if close males and females only associated through ribald intimacy.

Ever heard about friendzoning?

Friendship is always the first level of interpersonal relationships; any possibilities on further development depend on a multitude of different factors, such as mutual atractiveness, psychological issues, social factors and even things we aren't typically aware of cause they are transmitted on a subconcious level. Longlasting friendships between people of different sexes are a rarity, simply because they aren't bound to happen - they evolve to something more sooner or later; it's natural when that girl or guy hangs around with all the time, it's not only because he "likes" you; they do so, because they also feel attracted, or more precisely - you attract them. That said, if someone doesn't find you sexually attractive, but otherwise likes you very much, chances of being friendzoned grow expotentially.