Fuwanovel.org—is the start of a new Gift Economy

There is a branch of thought that is really important. I haven't told anyone this except Ryoji.

It's to craft fuwanovel as a centre of a Gift Economy. http://p2pfoundation.net/Gift_Economy

uMdIa.png

Let me explain:

- I was thinking about asking Vax & the others to add a 'Submit your news' feature on the frontpage so that other ppl can capitalize on our traffic, for themselves.

- I was also thinking about user-submitted reviews. they can submit a 50word summary and a link, so as to direct traffic to their blog.

- Actually the Everyone-Can-Edit field (now called Guest comments) is supposed to be a part of that as well. (Every time anyone edits a guest comment, it streams onto the side column here: http://i.imgur.com/K6j1A.jpg)

So the model for fuwan is to give and give and give. Give traffic away. Give users loudspeakers. Give users tools to create. Give them ways to run the site.

Because when you give, other small sites form around your larger site, large swaths of new blogs and new places pop up, more people become involved, and that's how you make visual novels popular.

In a gift economy, we give without any expectations of having to be given back. But the actors in these economies thrive, because people who give a lot also end up receiving a lot. E.g. They will link to your site. That's always a good thing, because it raises our google search rankings.

But the ultimate aim is not to horde traffic. The ultimate aim is to make 10 more fuwanovels appear, a 100 more even, and each of them better than the last. That's why I felt the moral groundwork in the About Page is so important- because IP zombies will feel reluctant about furthering your ideas if they think non-scarce non-rivalrous things can still be property.

It is the circulation of these gifts that cause these economies to work. "There's so much people giving to me for free."

When I say the circulation of gifts cause these economies to work, I mean that you give to everyone, and everyone gives to you. Therefore your needs are satisfied. That's why they work. In fact it is a phenomenon which is exploding in the real world as a result of the rekindling of sharing since the birth of the internet.

Another reason is to encourage a culture of fan sharing. "What can I share today?"

There is a really good TED talk on this topic (there are many), but I can't find it...

I can share this one which is still pretty good

The gift economy is an expansive topic, (the wikipedia page is just crap. It wont tell you anything.) and I'm still a beginner in this subject. If people are interested in digging deeper for me and pull out some awesome ideas, please do that! i would be happy!

This sounds pretty interesting, sounds pretty likely it can happen and be useful for the community.

There is alot of visual novels blogs around, if they got their reviews up and available that would be nice for both parties.

I don't think a 100 other fuwanovel's are going to appear with the first moments. :P

I get a feeling this got alot of potential, some more stuff would be good to add too.. Feels like something is missing. I have no idea what though... (Could be I am just tired)

Just a piece of my thought :)

- I was thinking about asking Vax & the others to add a 'Submit your news' feature on the frontpage so that other ppl can capitalize on our traffic, for themselves.

I don't think it's a good idea to make this public. News content provider should always be private, to avoid duplicating and drowning other news. It is especially true since news is in frontpage display. Now, if we are talking about a game-specific content, that I agree with. Which brought me to the following point.

- I was also thinking about user-submitted reviews. they can submit a 50word summary and a link, so as to direct traffic to their blog.

I'm with you there :D

This is great, I feel excited about this news !

It gives much more incentive to write quality content on here as you get traffic back. It is a win-win situation. The site is going to be bustling with cool content ! I feel like beginning writing a blog with a system like that, because I will get people to read it and give feedback !

And this is just scratching the surface of possibilities !

I hope the new engine you were talking about will be implemented. I am not sure to understand it completely, it's suppose to make it easier to create visual novels for casuals. I imagine having it accessible on a browser, and people being able to share their project with the community, asking for help in art or writing, and with a permission system giving rights for others to change them on the fly. They would get feedback easier as well !

Yeah I think fan translation is part of the gift economy.

i think so, not sure about starting a TLWiki, that role is already better served on the original (just bcareful not to insult moogy or else you get IP banned).

The Otome/BL translators are also pretty excited for Annot Player (when it gets done). So I guess when they translate on Annot, they are being hosted there in a way. (although not in the same way)

i guess fuwanovel already hosts translations, it hosts D.C.III http://vndb.org/r23703

and then there is the upcoming section with all those projects... which doesnt mean the translators have to make their homepage there. They can make their homepage anywhere they want.

I was thinking about calling D.C.III project Fuwanovel Translations or something,

it'd be pretty meaningless. mostly a publicity move. I guess it doesn't matter too much

• 2 weeks later...

Found an absolutely amazing talk by Jeffrey Tucker

http://propertyandfreedom.org/2012/11/jeffrey-tucker-one-million-tiny-miseries-government-policy-in-our-time-pfs-2012/

Jeffrey Tucker, “One Million Tiny Miseries, Government Policy in Our Time” (PFS 2012)

the relevant conclusion is at the end. he recommends reading the Stealth of Nations http://www.amazon.com/Stealth-Nations-Global-Informal-Economy/dp/0307279987

a book that documents how 2/3 of the world's population resides in the Informal Economy. They make their living on the Black market.

Found an absolutely amazing talk by Jeffrey Tucker

http://propertyandfreedom.org/2012/11/jeffrey-tucker-one-million-tiny-miseries-government-policy-in-our-time-pfs-2012/

Jeffrey Tucker, “One Million Tiny Miseries, Government Policy in Our Time” (PFS 2012)

the relevant conclusion is at the end. he recommends reading the Stealth of Nations http://www.amazon.com/Stealth-Nations-Global-Informal-Economy/dp/0307279987

a book that documents how 2/3 of the world's population resides in the Informal Economy. They make their living on the Black market.

Interesting talk, I can familiarize with what he said in the end about "breaking bad", for me it scales from little things like modding a game to be better even though the developers are against it, however it happens a lot in games that they do not innovate, are stuck back for example thanks to consoles (and then someone else makes the game easily look better because developers didn't)

...to much bigger things, such as the fact that I actually make my living from a non-taxable incomes in the informal economy. Because I see people around me being screwed in the "legal" job and economy I refuse to go there. All that is given by the fact that my country is so behind in everything (sometimes it seems the law system that was written after fall of communism more than 20 years ago stayed the same all the time).

Everything is suddenly stuck and the innovation just isn't there here, economy, laws etc.

If I look at the progress in 20th century and compare it to the first 12 years of this one, I just have to wonder where did the lust for innovation go. And I can even say that the 2 world wars brought us the biggest innovation in history, because there are no laws in war, there is no copyright infringement in war, people and nations are driven by survival, not limited to what they can make. I would love to see big companies like apple react to modern world war, would they try to sue everyone who would use their stupid patents for their own survival, for example their communication technology as a mean to save people. Would people demanding this "intellectual property" still continue to be so mad about it, knowing their whole "intellect" can be blown away by a shrapnel any day. People who wrote books in a time of war didn't write them to earn money, but to pass the legacy, share their knowledge, their "intellectual property" because they knew there were other people who could take the idea further and improve on it. Some of these authors from my country were then arrested or executed for writing these books, yet their ideas kept spreading and are what helped the innovation of society here. (I'm not saying I want world war or anything btw, just for people to realize things like that)

Well I'm bit off topic but these are my opinions on this intellectual property, It is just hard to imagine where would we be now if someone in ancient Egypt patented for example the mathematical process of multiplication...

• 2 weeks later...

Aaeru-san, Aaeru-san!!! I have a doubt!!!I get the concept of the gift economy(or so I think..), but let's say, if someone releases a work for free, based in this "gift economy" but only accepts donations, even for their later works, how could i put it.... it has proved to be profitable?? Or is it really necessary to make something like "consumers" providing your material first and then selling your services??

If something of this is a misconception of the explanation above, please tell me so I can grasp it the right way and thanks for all this project you're going on with, you have all my support, even if the only thing i can do is being here. wink.gif

• 5 weeks later...

sorry for late late reply...

so just as Cornelius Vanderbilt in 1834 managed to build a service of steamboats to transport people in New York for free (he figured he made his money back by selling food on the boat), artists will learn to find a way to provide the service of printing copies for people for free, but charge for the production of new arts.

I think these 3 posts answers your question better than I can... http://sharingisliberty.wordpress.com/?s=new+york (i didn't write them btw, i just copied them)

sorry for late late reply...

so just as Cornelius Vanderbilt in 1834 managed to build a service of steamboats to transport people in New York for free (he figured he made his money back by selling food on the boat), artists will learn to find a way to provide the service of printing copies for people for free, but charge for the production of new arts.

I think these 3 posts answers your question better than I can... http://sharingislibe...com/?s=new+york (i didn't write them btw, i just copied them)

Don't worry smile.gif

I think i get it... maybe.....anyway, thanks for the reply, i'll stick with the Cornelius example.