Irotoridori no Sekai Translation

I'm completely new to the translation world and really don't know anything about it so I hope I can get some answers.  (I know there's likely another place I'm suppose to ask this but I'm directional impaired, even online.)

1) What's the attitude/legal status for using a translation in another language into English for Iroseka?

2) What's the proper way to ask the group of another language for the right/permission to base translation off their patches, if possible.

Used to pay attention to Tokidan a lot and also would hate to see it go to waste.

I'm completely new to the translation world and really don't know anything about it so I hope I can get some answers.  (I know there's likely another place I'm suppose to ask this but I'm directional impaired, even online.)

1) What's the attitude/legal status for using a translation in another language into English for Iroseka?

2) What's the proper way to ask the group of another language for the right/permission to base translation off their patches, if possible.

Used to pay attention to Tokidan a lot and also would hate to see it go to waste.

1. Morally saying, you have to ask the translator for permission first ( or you can just ignore and "steal" it, no one will sue you for copyright anyway )

2. Just ask them normally? Polite and dont "attitude" with them, thats all.

I don't understand, are you talking about translating from Chinese into English? I would really strongly recommend against this, for two reasons. First, a translation of a translation is almost always lacking greatly in terms of accuracy. A ton of meaning gets lost in the double translation and forget about attempting to preserve the original work's prose. The second reason is that most Chinese translations are a bit notorious for being really, really bad. So using that for your source would just compound on the issues of doing a translation of a translation.

To answer your question, all fan translations are inherently illegal already (according to US copyright law) and basing your work off another fan translation is no more illegal than basing it off of the original script. Morally speaking, it's probably nice to at least ask first but TBH, none of these guys ask the original developers for permission first so them complaining that someone didn't ask them when basing something off of their translation would make them pretty hypocritical. (I'm reminded of certain minecrarft/elder scrolls modders who throw a shitfit whenever someone modifies their mod)

1. Morally saying, you have to ask the translator for permission first ( or you can just ignore and "steal" it, no one will sue you for copyright anyway )

2. Just ask them normally? Polite and dont "attitude" with them, thats all.

So simpler than I thought it to be.   Not sure if there's cultural connotations towards the concept but oh well.

I don't understand, are you talking about translating from Chinese into English? I would really strongly recommend against this, for two reasons. First, a translation of a translation is almost always lacking greatly in terms of accuracy. A ton of meaning gets lost in the double translation and forget about attempting to preserve the original work's prose. The second reason is that most Chinese translations are a bit notorious for being really, really bad. So using that for your source would just compound on the issues of doing a translation of a translation.

To answer your question, all fan translations are inherently illegal already (according to US copyright law) and basing your work off another fan translation is no more illegal than basing it off of the original script. Morally speaking, it's probably nice to at least ask first but TBH, none of these guys ask the original developers for permission first so them complaining that someone didn't ask them when basing something off of their translation would make them pretty hypocritical. (I'm reminded of certain minecrarft/elder scrolls modders who throw a shitfit whenever someone modifies their mod)

I'm not entirely sure because some people would rather have a shoddy translation than no translation at all, but at the same time a twice-chewed translation would do the game no justice in some certain context and maybe another group one day may want to do a good job at it.  I mean, most people probably had one game or two that they'd play using their best ability to understand.  I've played some games with my best effort trying to understand them, but at some point, reading in plain old English, no matter how strangely worded, still feels more comfortable than using text hookers and translation services.    I'm pretty torn between the two sides, but since I've already stumbled through the game I guess I do lean towards being more accurate instead of having a makeshift patch, with the story so beautiful and all.  A lot of sand got into my eyes in certain points of the story.

Thanks you two for answering my questions.  From a more objective standpoint, I guess it'd be pretty illegal (although most if not all of us here don't care much about it).   Don't exactly have a sustained drive to actually get into this game specifically but it is certainly nice to know I have the option of being mean and just get down to it if I really love a game and want to translate it via another language.

Well there is always a second option. . . . . . . . .Using machine translaters. That's what I am doing now playing this game. I am in Mio's route right now. Also there will be some hard explainations of some supernatural stuff in the beginning of this eroge, but after that the japanese is fairly easy if ur proficient enough to understand simple unsubbed anime.

And regarding to legality since Visual Novels are marketed only for Japanese(in exception to localize ones) I think fan translator are on the shady legal area. Well, the thing that is really illegal is downloading a eroge in japan and playing it on Japanese soil. But when outside Japan it is outside of their jurisdiction and since eroge companies market to Japanese. So outside Japan it would be okay....

Well there is always a second option. . . . . . . . .Using machine translaters. That's what I am doing now playing this game. I am in Mio's route right now. Also there will be some hard explainations of some supernatural stuff in the beginning of this eroge, but after that the japanese is fairly easy if ur proficient enough to understand simple unsubbed anime.

And regarding to legality since Visual Novels are marketed only for Japanese(in exception to localize ones) I think fan translator are on the shady legal area. Well, the thing that is really illegal is downloading a eroge in japan and playing it on Japanese soil. But when outside Japan it is outside of their jurisdiction and since eroge companies market to Japanese. So outside Japan it would be okay....

That second options is really bad for me...

Machine Translator really destroy the VN's Story D:

Unfortunately that's not how it works. There are international copyright treaties that complicate matters. Of course, this isn't really anything anyone actually has to worry about because most Japanese publishers have shown nothing but utter indifference towards fan translations. I was just using it to point out that it's not worth fussing over the legality of basing your own translation off of a fan translation without permission. 

That second options is really bad for me...

Machine Translator really destroy the VN's Story D:

Hmm. . . . well at first using Machine Translator is really hard and pisses me off(Natsuzora Kanata,Yuzusoft). But when you can get the hold of it and then gain some japanese experience points (grammar and vocabulary) on the way, you will get used to Atlas' crappy translation and be listening more and reading to the japanese text in hiraga with the help of a parcer like mecab.

Also, I dont want the language japanese to become a barrier to me and any other eroge player to enjoying great titles.

Unfortunately that's not how it works. There are international copyright treaties that complicate matters. Of course, this isn't really anything anyone actually has to worry about because most Japanese publishers have shown nothing but utter indifference towards fan translations. I was just using it to point out that it's not worth fussing over the legality of basing your own translation off of a fan translation without permission. 

Oh. . . . . .international treaties. I think the japanese publishers may not want to fuss about visual novels as they want to keep a low profile in just japan. Another Rapelay imcident would may the japanese goverment putting barriers to eroge makers in Japan just for the sake of the prime minister and it's cabinet saving face.

• 2 weeks later...

Actually i did find something but i don't know it's true or not
The host name in irc is shinitan or shini-chan might have working with staircase sub in irc
i did a little google and found this guys,but it's kinda weird becus he working on http://kohaku.kouhi.me/
https://twitter.com/shininyan
If you guys ask isem you might pull out something and they delete irc link yesterday

• 3 weeks later...

anime sharing is japan patch, i guess

There is no 85% patch, there is only prologue patch.

You have to play this in Japanese if you want to play.

Downloads are already listed here: https://forums.fuwanovel.net/index.php?/topic/5444-jp-irotoridori-no-sekai-hikari/

thank's about your link :)

I was just about to praise you because I could not find it XD

me too :o