How to recognize a random VN's engine?

Here I am again!

I don't know why, but my last post didn't get any replies... So, here I am again.

Maybe the title was a bit confusing, so let me explain what I'm asking.

How can I recognize the engine used to create a VN? Also, does anyone know where I could find a list of the engines? I only know how to recognize ONScripter for now, so if anyone could help me out, I would be really grateful.

Also, I'm not native, so maybe my english is bad. Sorry for that.

Thanks in advance!

What for do you need it? If you want to learn to hack a VN there is a more detailed explanation about how to do that somewhere on forum. And if you want to create a VN then you should probably just ask for a recommendation of best ones.

For a random VN, I guess you would check the file extensions, together with any string or identifying mark contained in the data files, often at the beginning of the file.  Then, hope that Google tracks down something for you.

Ren'py ones are usually easy to detect as well.  Personally if it's an NA-developed VN 90% of the time it'll be Ren'py, but other than that if the quicksave/quickload/etc menu is on the bottom of the screen that's a dead giveaway of a Ren'py game.

Another possibly helpful tip: try hooking the game using ITH (not agth), and that should tell you what the engine is (for example BGI or Kirikiri etc), most of the time, especially if a custom hook is needed for it. But that's as good as knowing the name of the engine.

Thanks a lot guys, you really helped me out.

What for do you need it? If you want to learn to hack a VN there is a more detailed explanation about how to do that somewhere on forum. And if you want to create a VN then you should probably just ask for a recommendation of best ones.

Well, I wanted to know how to recognize the engines, hacking them or not. I thought that doing so would help me when translating the VNs, because if I know thge name of he engines, I could use the right programs to hack the VN. I'll try searching the topic you talked about. Thanks.

Thanks a lot guys, you really helped me out.

Well, I wanted to know how to recognize the engines, hacking them or not. I thought that doing so would help me when translating the VNs, because if I know thge name of he engines, I could use the right programs to hack the VN. I'll try searching the topic you talked about. Thanks.

Identifying the engine will not help you find the right tool. Usually encryption algorithm or at least the key is changed for each new VN so tools must be updated as well.You should try to find tool for specific game, rather than the engine.

Identifying the engine will not help you find the right tool. Usually encryption algorithm or at least the key is changed for each new VN so tools must be updated as well.You should try to find tool for specific game, rather than the engine.

Oh, really? I didn't know that! I'm feeling a bit idiot now...

So, do you know where I could find tools that work with the BL game Laughter Land? i searched here, but didn't find any tools to translate a BL Game...

Oh, really? I didn't know that! I'm feeling a bit idiot now...

So, do you know where I could find tools that work with the BL game Laughter Land? i searched here, but didn't find any tools to translate a BL Game...

I don't know if there is such tool available. BL games aren't that popular :D

I may be able to help though, I'm a programmer and have shit loads of spare time these days so I can make a tool for you. Just give me link to a legit torrent.

I don't know if there is such tool available. BL games aren't that popular :D

I may be able to help though, I'm a programmer and have shit loads of spare time these days so I can make a tool for you. Just give me link to a legit torrent.

Oh, really?! Thanks a lot!!!

Here it is: http://bitsnoop.com/bl-game-laughter-land-q7760856.html

Finally someone could help me with tools for a BL game!!!

Ok so I figured out archive file format. Here is unpacker source code: https://gist.github.com/krofna/10605563. It unpacks BGM/SE correctly so I guess it works for other archives as well (although they contain unknown binary data).

I still haven't figured out where the hell are text strings but I posted unpacker anyway so you can see some progress :). I'll try to find text tomorrow.....

Binary for windows (Cross compiled from Linux, tested with wine): http://dev.pulsir.eu/krofna/llkrof.exe

Source (as before): https://gist.github.com/krofna/10605563/

This time it also has repacking support:

To unpack: llkrof.exe x File.arc

To repack: llkrof.exe Folder

It also decrypts .WSC files from Rio.arc now. Text strings are there (ja_JP.SHIFT-JIS encoded, file is binary).

Thank you very much~

You really helped me! I wish I could do that, too... but I'm still thinking about studying programming.

I wish sometime I could help someone like you helped me today. Thanks again.

I'm glad I was able to help.

btw. the tool wasn't thoroughly tested, so there may still be bugs. report any issues you find.

• 1 year later...

Binary for windows (Cross compiled from Linux, tested with wine): http://dev.pulsir.eu/krofna/llkrof.exe

Source (as before): https://gist.github.com/krofna/10605563/

This time it also has repacking support:

To unpack: llkrof.exe x File.arc

To repack: llkrof.exe Folder

It also decrypts .WSC files from Rio.arc now. Text strings are there (ja_JP.SHIFT-JIS encoded, file is binary).

Hey there @krofna,

Dunno if you're reading this.
It seems ios::binary is missing in WriteUnpack(). It doesn't really matter for Unices, but the cross-compiled exe you provided writes extra \x0d bytes.

Out,
Nanashi3~