DarkVN—Visual Novel Maker for VNDS! (Android, Windows, Linux, Mac?)

[07:44] <Romme> i see, cross-platform compatibility might be a unique feature for this engine

[07:44] <Romme> though practically the only other platform is MacOS

[07:45] <Romme> because you would need Apple approval for every ported VN, so this will quickly run into copyright issues

[07:45] <Romme> and the android version of Game Maker isn't there yet

[07:46] <Romme> well, i wish the guy luck

[07:46] <Romme> actually, persistence

[07:47] <Ruri> Apple... granting VNs on MacOS/iOS ? haha, nice joke... they won't grant anything that even looks like it has anything to do with sex

[07:47] <Romme> they won't, but here we've got all-ages VNs

[07:48] <~Kuudere> Has kissing

[07:49] <~Kuudere> not all ages antmore

[07:49] <Romme> this isn't funny

[07:49] <~Kuudere> Okay I'll stop

[07:49] <Romme> kissing is fine by republican moral standards, so apple will allow it

[07:50] <Romme> don't stop, please!

[07:51] <Joachim> Well it's not like you can't use vmware or bootcamp :P

[07:51] <~Kuudere> That goes against apple's wishes though

[07:52] <Ruri> on a Mac, not on an iphone etc

[07:52] <Joachim> True

[07:52] <Romme> there is an appstore on a mac, which is moving gradually becoming locked down

[07:53] <Romme> but i did list MacOS a possible platform for this engine to run

[07:53] <~Kuudere> MS be doing the same thing, but at least they kept the desktop

[07:53] <Romme> s/moving gradually becoming/gradually becoming/

[07:54] <Ruri> would just be nice if you wouldn't have to pay $50 for a developer account to publish stuff on the store

[07:54] <Romme> they only kept it where backwards compatibility forces them to

[07:54] <Romme> on the x86 platform, that is

[07:55] <Romme> Ruri: Google Play has a serious spam problem

[07:55] <Joachim> I didn't know

[07:55] <Romme> so severe it affects their ability to show newly submitted apps

[07:55] <Ruri> MS checks the submitted code before so it filters the crap out

[07:56] <Romme> asshole devs re-submit apps when users give it bad ratings, effectively resetting the rating and deleting all comments

[07:57] <Ruri> the other side has the problem that ratings aren't reset even if you patch/modify the app

[07:57] <Ruri> which means half of those ratings/reviews don't even help anymore

[07:57] <Joachim> Well at the same time Apple is suppose to have slick products, which is a perfect reason to enforce control and grab some money at the same time

[07:58] <Romme> i wish for a law preventing companies from controlling products that are no longer theirs

[07:58] <Ruri> hu, you only license apple stuff

[07:58] <Ruri> you don't own it

[07:58] <Joachim> Honestly, even though I dislike that side, I find it more pleasing to use everyday

[07:59] <Romme> Ruri: that's where a supposedly non-retarded law comes in and declares this license invalid

[07:59] <Romme> what's not pleasing in using android?

[08:00] <Joachim> I talk about OS for computers

[08:00] <Ruri> oh, that's why i love the german law in this regard: if you can't read the licence before buying it's null and void... that's why reverse engineering is allowed too here ;)

[08:00] <Romme> it depends on how much money and talent was pumped into crafting the platform, not the amount of control exerted over what kind of apps users can run

[08:01] <Ruri> like amazon being able to delete your ebooks from your kindle?

[08:01] <Romme> kindle is shit

[08:01] <Romme> i never mentioned kindle as an example

[08:01] <Joachim> You might be true, but having used windows, mac and fedora, this is my conclusion

[08:01] <Ruri> i did as example for stupid licences

[08:02] <Romme> and i would never buy one precisely for this reason

[08:02] <Romme> umm

[08:02] <Romme> you named three open platforms

[08:02] <Ruri> nah, I will never use any mac product

[08:02] <Ruri> appel

[08:02] <Ruri> *apple

[08:02] <Joachim> I can definitely understand your point

[08:03] <Ruri> it's enough that i have to use apple stuff at work

[08:03] <Joachim> x)

[08:06] <Ruri> anyway, the problem with VN engines is that most of them are coded in C, C++ or similar languages.. doesn't help with multiplatform support

[08:07] <Romme> i feel like i could code one up, but don't see any reason why anyone would want another engine to play the games people had already played a long time ago

[08:12] <Joachim> Wow, you are quite gifted then !

[08:13] <Romme> i'm not, knowing a few programming languages is not an accomplishment

[08:25] <Ruri> dunno @ GML

[08:25] <Ruri> never heard of that language

[08:25] <VDZServer> Regarding audio bandwidth, these days we've got streaming video (including audio). I have no idea why streaming non-stop audio would be a problem

[08:25] <Romme> indeed, GameMaker it is

[08:25] <VDZServer> Er

[08:25] <VDZServer> non-non-stop

[08:26] <VDZServer> 8<Ruri> anyway, the problem with VN engines is that most of them are coded in C, C++ or similar languages.. doesn't help with multiplatform support

[08:26] <VDZServer> It's not about the language. A C/C++ program could also easily be compiled to a different platform

[08:26] <Ruri> that's a question of used libraries

[08:26] <VDZServer> The problem, and the reason why such languages are used, is the libraries

[08:26] <Romme> is there really that much of an audience wanting to play Clannad in a browser?

[08:26] <Ruri> and the effort/work needed to get it to work on all platforms

[08:27] <Romme> if it is, i'll give it a thought after i implement VNTLS RSS parsing

[08:27] <VDZServer> Using only generic stuff means you have to give up a lot of resources that engines normally use

[08:27] <Romme> (the parsing is already done, now i need my script to remember what it did parse and what's new)

[08:28] <VDZServer> For things like Clannad that isn't a problem, but it would be hilarious to see someone try Mahoutsukai no Yoru using absolutely no native calls

[08:28] <Ruri> if you code the libraries yourself anyway just code them multiplatform

[08:28] <Joachim> Well, people could watch other play and comment at the same time

[08:28] <VDZServer> Ruri, that's the problem

[08:28] <Romme> VDZServer: with WebGL and a shitton of free time, you can

[08:29] <Ruri> hu, i'd use QT as graphics library

[08:29] <VDZServer> On the lowest level, graphics libraries just call the graphics features of the OS (or even lower, the graphics hardware)

[08:29] <Romme> you'll also need some solid expertise to write all those shaders for transitions

[08:29] <VDZServer> Of course there's things like OpenGL to at least skip the lowest levels and have some sort of cross-platform compatibility, but the more you skip the less multi-platform you get

[08:29] <Romme> but Mahoutrukai no Yoru is definetely doable, i see no obstacles

[08:30] <Romme> i'm not aware of a platform OpenGL skips

[08:31] <~Kuudere> Skips meego

[08:31] <Romme> lol

[08:31] <Romme> but it has opengl

[08:31] <Romme> it's window manager is certainly using it anyway

[08:32] <~Kuudere> Fine fine

[08:32] <VDZServer> Well, platforms like NDS and other homebrew generally doesn't have OpenGL

[08:32] <~Kuudere> it skips whatever my grandfather's brick of a nokia runs

[08:32] <VDZServer> All major platforms have OpenGL, but you give up on the more obscure ones simply by picking OpenGL

[08:32] <~Kuudere> Make VN's run Direc3D

[08:32] <~Kuudere> go go go

[08:32] <Romme> nintendo is gay

[08:33] <VDZServer> And the more advanced things you want done for you (without doing every single thing yourself), the more platforms you give up

[08:40] <VDZServer> Anyways, regarding browser VNs, I once made a shitty Javascript version of Narcissu. Might be of interest: http://www.tsukuru.info/jsnarcissu/prologue.htm

[08:41] <VDZServer> I think it might actually be possible to turn it into something decent using HTML5

[08:41] <VDZServer> Romme; don't install quicktime, it's terrible

[08:41] <VDZServer> It used to just normally play the audio in the browser

[08:41] <VDZServer> But browsers have changed since I made JSNarcissu

[08:41] <VDZServer> I guess nowadays with HTML5 such functionality can be restored

[08:42] <Joachim> It doesn't work properly on my computer

[08:42] <VDZServer> Man, I've read Narcissu's prologue so many times now

[08:43] <VDZServer> Yeah, it won't work properly on modern browsers. Everything except for the audio should work, though

[08:43] <Romme> oh

[08:43] <VDZServer> Audio was done by just dynamically embedding the audio in the page using javasript

Some brilliant insight into DarkVN:

<Sakamoto_Neko_> well, it's basically a VNDS player for PC

<Tay_> da

<Sakamoto_Neko_> so it's good for testing VNDS converted visual novels before putting it on your NDS or Android device

<Sakamoto_Neko_> i don't like to spend time transferring files from A to B every time i want to test

<Tay_> that's a good point!

<Tay_> Till you said that, I figured its best use was for Win 8 users who can't run a lot of VNs yet

<Sakamoto_Neko_> Win 8 sucks when it comes to running VNs still

(Text order switched a little for flow)

<Tay_> Till you said that, I figured its best use was for Win 8 users who can't run a lot of VNs yet

<Sakamoto_Neko_> Win 8 sucks when it comes to running VNs still

Eh, how come? I have no problems at running VN in Windows 8 (and I shouldn't be, because the architecture behind the desktop mode is essentially the same with Windows 7). I have used Win8 since March this year and so far, I have played A Profile, Symphonic Rain, Kamidori, Hoshimemo, Phenomeno, Hatsuyuki Sakura, and Tsukiyori. Atlas and co work fine too.

• 5 months later...
  • 4 months later...

You guys seem to be mistaken, DarkVN does not work on Android :| It's just meant to allow you to play VNDS novels on Windows PCs.

Well anyway, I just released a new update for the first time in a while. DarkVN is now much more compatible with VNDS novels!

You can read more and download it here: http://gmc.yoyogames.com/index.php?showtopic=555467

• 3 months later...

Just thought you guys might want to take a look at DarkVN's successor > :D

It works on Windows, Android, Mac OS X, and HTML 5. (possibly iOS and Ubuntu)

I'm working on VNDS support now.

HTML5 demo (an old VN I made as a joke):

http://darkgamedb.site11.com/community/index.html

You can take a look at the scripts here:

http://darkgamedb.site11.com/community/html5game/script/start.script (auto-loaded at start)

http://darkgamedb.site11.com/community/html5game/script/script1.script

http://darkgamedb.site11.com/community/html5game/script/script2.script

http://darkgamedb.site11.com/community/html5game/script/battle1.script

http://darkgamedb.site11.com/community/html5game/script/badending.script

• 2 weeks later...