About Steins;Gate

Freestyle80

I think JAST ditched the DRM they used to use a while ago so there shouldn't be any activation limits or anything like that.

As for why they don't just put it on Steam, very good question. Steins;Gate is the kind of VN that could do somewhat well on Steam. The anime was popular in the west and it's pretty light on the romance elements, focusing instead on telling its time travel story. One can only assume that JAST is being unnecessarily stubborn and doesn't want to release the digital version outside of their own services for a while.

I think JAST ditched the DRM they used to use a while ago so there shouldn't be any activation limits or anything like that.

As for why they don't just put it on Steam, very good question. Steins;Gate is the kind of VN that could do somewhat well on Steam. The anime was popular in the west and it's pretty light on the romance elements, focusing instead on telling its time travel story. One can only assume that JAST is being unnecessarily stubborn and doesn't want to release the digital version outside of their own services for a while.

Good. I like to pay for the ownership of my games, not the right to just play them.

Maybe they're a little greedy, or maybe they just didn't think about it? I think I may send them an email, it's worth a shot at the very least.

Steam games don't inherently have DRM. There are many that don't have any, and you can just launch the game outside of steam, back up the game folder, and do whatever you do with drm-free games. You also don't pay to be on steam, but they do take a cut from sales, which is what stores tend to do as that's their purpose.

Anyways, I would argue that it's absolutely worth them getting on Steam and for many developers the moment they get on steam provides a very high sales boost. For something as recognizable as Steins;Gate, a lot of fans of the anime will suddenly realize there's an english language VN out there and will get interested. But there are companies like JAST who are opposed to selling their games on any digital distribution platforms they don't personally control. See also: Shrapnel Games.

Steam games don't inherently have DRM. There are many that don't have any, and you can just launch the game outside of steam, back up the game folder, and do whatever you do with drm-free games. You also don't pay to be on steam, but they do take a cut from sales, which is what stores tend to do as that's their purpose.

Anyways, I would argue that it's absolutely worth them getting on Steam and for many developers the moment they get on steam provides a very high sales boost. For something as recognizable as Steins;Gate, a lot of fans of the anime will suddenly realize there's an english language VN out there and will get interested. But there are companies like JAST who are opposed to selling their games on any digital distribution platforms they don't personally control. See also: Shrapnel Games.

It has nothing to do with Jast actually. It isn't on Steam yet because 5pb didn't want it there (at least not right now). They're taking a risk they have never taken before and probably doesn't want to try too many new things at once. If it does well it will probably end up there someday since it will be easier to get 5pb to agree if they know there's a market.

I want it to come to Steam so I can buy it.