I cannot revert "read-only" folders

It happens with every VN that I downloaded with Bittorrent, I know it creates issues(hence probably why I cannot play steins;gate, cross channel, rewrite, swan song and a few others). I do uncheck "read-only" and apply it, but when I open Properties again, it is "read-only" once more. I "removed" the torrent from BitTorrent (after stopping seeding) but to no avail. Could someone help? (I know it is probably something with bittorrent, but since it keeps me from playing,  I figured that I could post here...)

Thanks in advance! (Note: using W8.1 and system locale IS set to Japanese)

Could you describe it a little bit more? You can't revert the files, but then what happens? You can't start the game or you can't save it? If the latter happens, check if your username has specials characters like ´ ^ ~ * ¨& and so on. Some VNs don't recognize these characters, and so they can't stablish a save directory. If you can't start it, well, try to put the game folder in the C: directory, it worked for me some time ago, like this for instance "C:/CrossChannel".

I'm not sure, how it looks on windows 8.1, but on w7 the read-only thing is pretty deceptive. Basically, from what I can tell there is actually no such thing as a read-only folder, only a folder with all its files set to read-only. The difference makes windows give you ambiguous stuff like this:

7WHG0.png

You'd think this meant all the files inside the folder were read-only, but no. That box is always colored, and is used only when you click it (to remove or set read-only to the files inside the folder.)

To really see whether the files inside the folder are set to read-only, you have to check their properties instead.

Okay... For some reason this "read-only" ordeal is for ALL folders(at least on the desktop). And yes, I cannot remove it. I wonder if it is because of a virus...

Do what Zaka said.

When you right click the game directory/folder it will always have that selected.

To really see if the files are read only, open the directory, select all the files and then click properties.

Example with Hoshimemo:

Folder properties

The one that's selected is "Read only" I also can't change it no matter what I do.

b7XyoFt.png

File properties

"Read Only" is not selected here and I can change it if I want to

HBdgrKy.png

Okay... For some reason this "read-only" ordeal is for ALL folders(at least on the desktop). And yes, I cannot remove it. I wonder if it is because of a virus...

Ok I don't know what are you misunderstanding here but it is totally normal for read-only to be checked on folders.

If you have problem playing some VNs that definitely doesn't have anything to do with this.

Try explaining what happens when you try to run those VNs.

Do what Zaka said.

When you right click the game directory/folder it will always have that selected.

To really see if the files are read only, open the directory, select all the files and then click properties.

Example with Hoshimemo:

Folder properties

The one that's selected is "Read only" I also can't change it no matter what I do.

b7XyoFt.png

File properties

"Read Only" is not selected here and I can change it if I want to

HBdgrKy.png

Can't understand moon Speak :P

Can't understand moon Speak :P

Eh the point was just to show that the "Read only" option is selected in the folder properties but not in the file properties.

I think the language barrier isn't much of a problem. Moon speak isn't for everyone!

Just know that "Só de leitura" means "Read-only"

I apologize, I should have looked into the problem in a more detailed way, however, after looking more still no solution. I will at least try to explain what happens:

Steins; Gate: I open the "STEINSGATE-patched" executable, there is a black window with nothing as title and I instantly get the error "Steins; Gate PC has stopped working". I had seen this only one other time: trying to run Ever17. Someone had posted a fix for that somewhere (it was about the fonts, frankly) but none for Steins; Gate, I'm afraid. Tried to run the Windows Batch File titled "free", which tells me to install the runtime app. The runtime app included with the torrent gives me the error "error reading setup initialization file", the "SdActi" executable apparently needs that to run as well.

Rewrite: SiglusEngine.exe does not do anything, english patch executable "rewrite v3" gives me the error "error launching installer" with the window titled "NSIS Error". The .bat file seems to be working fine, but it still does not help anything.

Fate/Stay Night apparently requires an actual DVD of the game.

Swan song gives me an error which I cannot post because I could not get a screenshot of it, MWSnap won't save the .bmp due to something about directories I guess.

Cross channel gives an error and then shuts down like Steins; Gate.

So far the most likely issue is about my username, my name includes special characters ("Yiğit" is my name) and I will update you on that once I get it done.

The only things that come to mind are simple things like trying to run them as administrator or changing you system locale to Japanese. Did you try to to that allredy? If you are suspecting that your username is a problem why not try changing it? set g insted of ğ.

I apologize, I should have looked into the problem in a more detailed way, however, after looking more still no solution. I will at least try to explain what happens:

Steins; Gate: I open the "STEINSGATE-patched" executable, there is a black window with nothing as title and I instantly get the error "Steins; Gate PC has stopped working". I had seen this only one other time: trying to run Ever17. Someone had posted a fix for that somewhere (it was about the fonts, frankly) but none for Steins; Gate, I'm afraid. Tried to run the Windows Batch File titled "free", which tells me to install the runtime app. The runtime app included with the torrent gives me the error "error reading setup initialization file", the "SdActi" executable apparently needs that to run as well.

Rewrite: SiglusEngine.exe does not do anything, english patch executable "rewrite v3" gives me the error "error launching installer" with the window titled "NSIS Error". The .bat file seems to be working fine, but it still does not help anything.

Fate/Stay Night apparently requires an actual DVD of the game.

Swan song gives me an error which I cannot post because I could not get a screenshot of it, MWSnap won't save the .bmp due to something about directories I guess.

Cross channel gives an error and then shuts down like Steins; Gate.

So far the most likely issue is about my username, my name includes special characters ("Yiğit" is my name) and I will update you on that once I get it done.

That black screen shutdown error ocurred to me as well. So I put the VN folder in C: directly and it worked. Try doing that.