Ayakashibito: A thread

Clephas

This is a thread for discussing Ayakashibito, as the title proclaims.

Ayakashibito is considered a genre-crossing classic by many Japanese vn-lovers, and amongst chuuni fans, it is considered to be a masterpiece.  All of the characters have their own attractions, and some of the antagonists are as compelling - or even more so - than the protagonist and his friends.  As I haven't played the translated version, I don't know the degree to which the game's original essence was retained, but I am glad that the English-speaking community will now have a chance to play this great game.  This game also shows off sides of humanity that are - quite frankly - ugly as a one-eyed ogre with a hunchback.  However, that only adds to this game's story and the overall setting. 

WARNING: For people who prefer 'soft' VNs, where everyone - and I mean everyone - lives happily ever after, you should probably avoid this game.  (that means you, Steve).  Lolicons will probably love the game's resident true heroine and eternaloli, Suzu, but I'd warn against using a game complete save to go straight to her path.  There are aspects of the game's setting that are addressed more completely in the other paths, and the true path is more rich for having played them in order.

I already planned to read it, but now that you recommended it, I guess it jumped up to second place on my to read list, that is as soon as I finish Eien no Aselia and Saya No Uto. I am expecting a lot of it now that you recommended it. Actually I decided on reading ENA because I saw you rated it so high and it was definitely a good choice (True I am concerned that you rated it's sequel so much lower).

It is dark in different ways.  It isn't horror, for one thing.  Also, expecting the kind of superb balance between insanity and romance that you saw in Saya anywhere else is kind of ridiculous...  Kara no Shoujo I never got around to playing.

Seinarukana I rated lower because I honestly thought the story was inferior.  The battle system is much improved, but the story suffered somewhat from 'sequel syndrome'. 

Touko>Tanya>Kaoru>Suzu is the correct order (please tell me they didn't choose to spell Tanya's name Tonya?  gah...).   Touko's route is definitely first... it has several endings, just like Suzu's.  Tanya's has only one ending, but it has different h-scenes depending on which choices you make near the end.   Suzu's has three endings, if I recall correctly. 

This is a thread for discussing Ayakashibito, as the title proclaims.

Ayakashibito is considered a genre-crossing classic by many Japanese vn-lovers, and amongst chuuni fans, it is considered to be a masterpiece.  All of the characters have their own attractions, and some of the antagonists are as compelling - or even more so - than the protagonist and his friends.  As I haven't played the translated version, I don't know the degree to which the game's original essence was retained, but I am glad that the English-speaking community will now have a chance to play this great game.  This game also shows off sides of humanity that are - quite frankly - ugly as a one-eyed ogre with a hunchback.  However, that only adds to this game's story and the overall setting. 

WARNING: For people who prefer 'soft' VNs, where everyone - and I mean everyone - lives happily ever after, you should probably avoid this game.  (that means you, Steve).  Lolicons will probably love the game's resident true heroine and eternaloli, Suzu, but I'd warn against using a game complete save to go straight to her path.  There are aspects of the game's setting that are addressed more completely in the other paths, and the true path is more rich for having played them in order.

It looked really cool, but after reading some of the genres I knew I wasn't going to play it ;u;

I didn't play it... I keep hoping for a reverse-port.  Playing console versions is tricky in the first place, and it takes about two times as long without being able to use jparser...

Edit:  Two things about DDC... it is unlikely we'll ever see a free translation of it, simply because of the linguistic difficulty level.  Second, the reason it is so different is because of the way the characters (heroines and protag) think.  Speaking from an objective point of view, it would be accurate to call all of the heroines and the protag 'bad people', lol.  The violent impulses they possess, the lack of hesitation they have in indulging those impulses, and the tendency toward general insanity (to one degree or another) in them adds to the general 'amorality' of the setting.  Shinnosuke, the protag's best friend (and the only 'real' human character who is even remotely close to the protag) serves as a sort of yardstick for the abnormality of the other characters, his very 'normalness' serving to show how weird, psychotic, and downright cold-blooded the other characters are.

Edit 2: Sora's label for Shinnosuke is ’愛すべき馬鹿’, which should translate as 'lovable idiot' or 'idiot who should be loved'.

Yeah I know it'll never get translated. Maybe one day if I get at a good enough Japanese level I'll read it. :D

As for Ayakashibito I'm into Touko-senpai route and damn I love her character. :D (Though Tonya is very interesting she seems the stoic/quiet girls I tend to like type)

Finished the other 3, going to read Suzu's route now-

she's by far my favorite heroine, even without playing her route, though. Touko was "meh", Tanya was good, but not great and I disliked Kaoru (reffering to the heroines- the routes are pretty cool). I didn't feel anything particular about Suzu until Kaoru's route, where she was just magnificent. That's the way a heroine should act! She was disappointing to the end, but before that, it was awesome.

Her power and the way she thought of humans at the beginning were also insta-wins with me. Let's see what they do with her route- depending on it, she may become one of my all-time favorite heroines.

Just finished Ayakashibito and even though im not a big fan of this genre i will still say this was a awesome VN.

Even though Kaoru route shed some light on the past of certain characters, i couldnt get myself to like her.

Some characters could have gotten a little more screen time,like a certain undying guy.

That guy pulled a awesome move with those flash on Tonya route

Suzu endings were indeed the most interesting, the second one(according to the walktrough) was my favourite.

Yatagarasu true identity surprised me