My detailed reflections on the true end of Ever17

Funyarinpa

Okay whatever i'll assume it's with spoilers. I'll add spoiler thingies anyway

So this was an incredible use of the Visual novel classic mechanics.

It's like an accepted rule that in a majority of Visual Novels you are one of the characters. You see through his eyes.
So quite often, you don't get to see the protagonists face for many reasons (that is discussed in another thread).

But not once had I though of using this feature which seemed natural and anchored into the genre as a tool for a scenario.

And this is were the game stands out. Not only is it clear despite it's complexity (cause let's face it, there was some seriously complicated stuff at the end) and thus is really pleasant to read (I love complicated crazy stuff which get entirely explained), but it also uses the characteristic traits of the VN genre against itself.

It was like a double hit.

After that i'm pretty sure there's a flaw in the explanation at the end but meh, i'm not going to be a rat given my astonishement at the end of the novel.

Yes I was truly surpised. And it was incredibly pleasant.

The whole game was good but it let us wondering about what the point was.

Lots of unanswered questions kept piling up.

Why did we have 2 different views,

Why were Sara and Coco never in the same scenario,

these scribbles on the statue,

the number of living things in the complex ?

Everything answered at the same time and royaly.

I didn't expect that much, I expected something but that was more than that.

I'm leaving things open for discussion (for interested people)

After that i'm pretty sure there's a flaw in the explanation at the end but meh, i'm not going to be a rat given my astonishement at the end of the novel.

I don't think there was any logical flaw in the explanations, but there's one thing that really bothers me.

Overall Ever17 tries to give itself a scientific, credible atmosphere, which is a pretty nice idea. Everything is not always realistic about the way they handle pressure differences and stuff, but it's coherent enough. Up until the end where whatsisname wakes up at the bottom of the ocean and swiftly swim back into the buildings. Was it so hard to find another way to do it? That's completely unrealistic, which is bothering because it was trying to be realistic before.

The true route really delivered, but I found the other routes to have too much redundant stuff, and endings I found quite bad. They did manage to create a good atmosphere and set everything for the end though.

I personally enjoyed every bit of Ever17, but the True Route was really above and beyond. Even after reading 999 and VLR, I did not expect many of the ending twists, especially not the fact that the two protagonists were in completely different time periods! Definitely a mindscrew.

I hate when people refer to Blick Winkel being a deus ex machina though... people seem to have forgotten what that actually means. There is a ridiculous amount of foreshadowing about a 4th dimensional person or the "third eye" in the main routes, so it's kinda silly to say that the writer put himself in a corner and decided to creat BW just to tie up the plot. /rant

I personally enjoyed every bit of Ever17, but the True Route was really above and beyond. Even after reading 999 and VLR, I did not expect many of the ending twists, especially not the fact that the two protagonists were in completely different time periods! Definitely a mindscrew.

I hate when people refer to Blick Winkel being a deus ex machina though... people seem to have forgotten what that actually means. There is a ridiculous amount of foreshadowing about a 4th dimensional person or the "third eye" in the main routes, so it's kinda silly to say that the writer put himself in a corner and decided to creat BW just to tie up the plot. /rant

First I also thought...

...the way he just suddenly wakes up and swims back to get the others.. I don't know... But after finishing the game I started thinking and I really agree with you. I believe it all was intended this way from the beginning and if you look at the rest of the series it really makes sense too. The way you view "things"; viewing things from a 3th or 4th dimension is really important.

Even after reading 999 and VLR, I did not expect many of the ending twists.

I was quite surprised myself. After all, Ever17 does more than transdimensional travel, it includes the 4th dimension and such. However, the impact was definitely diminished because I read VLR before Ever17 as well. There is also the fact that I lost track of what was happening in Coco route around halfway while VLR was way more understandable, the only confusing point being the dates Sigma jumps to.

• 1 year later...

I feel like reviving a thread.

This was the visual novel that got me into the genre if it had not been for the true route I may never have gotten into them. It's quite obvious that the true route was the intended target all along and I love how everything is interwoven together. The one downside of the localization is that trying to read it now I can't help but notice all  of the censorship, the poor grammar, and the fact that it doesn't seem the translators fully understood the story. It was definitely manageable but it could really use some work...something I would love to see them revive with a proper translation. If you do try to re-read it the grammar is hard to ignore but you can definitely see things in all the routes hinting towards the true route's conclusion. It's worth a replay just so you can see the how intermingled the entire vn truly is even from the very beginning. It's a shame we never saw too many other games in this group of games but hey double root definitely seems familiar so there is that to look forward to.

• 4 months later...

I just had some questions about some of the foreshadowing hints and things that I didn't understand.

These are spoilers so only read if you finished the game.

So at the start why does the life reading number fluctuate from 5-7? (My guess is that Chami counts as a life reading and also the other one would be Blick Winkel in Takeshi's route?)

Why is there always 1 life reading left at the end of the normal routes? (Is it supposed to be Blick Winkel?)

Why was there the sound of the can falling down when they played kick the can and who was counting? (I have no idea)

Why does the statue with Coco's carving face different directions in Takeshi''s route compared to Kid's? (Is it because they moved it the wrong way when rebuilding LeMU?)

Even though these were just minor things, I'm just didn't fully understand these points even after playing the true route.

• 6 years later...
On 12/2/2015 at 3:07 AM, Bastian77 said:

I just had some questions about some of the foreshadowing hints and things that I didn't understand.

These are spoilers so only read if you finished the game.

Hidden Content

Spoiler

The 1 life reading at the end of normal routes is because of Coco. She's trapped in Himmel, left to die by the rescue team because she had escaped her pod to look for Pipi and couldn't be found. She's left in Himmel in both the Kid's (where she's been there for 17 years) and Takeshi's (left by the rescue team) routes.

As for the fluctuating reading I think it's because of timelines mixing. Chami and BW don't matter, Chami is an animal (I think the system is meant to read human lives only, otherwise it would count every bug in the park -- and it'd be a very poor explanation) and BW doesn't have a physical presence just like Sora doesn't. I think it fluctuates from 5 (the actual human characters) to 7 because it randomly adds the Coco and Takeshi trapped in Himmel in cryogenic suspension by mixing the 2017's and 2034's situations. 

Yes I think the difference among the statues is because LeMU had been rebuilt.