Dark Themed VNs

Tom

Almost all my high rated VNs are dark themed I think... but also most of them are probably already on everyone's lists. ^_^

Umineko / MLA / Saya no Uta / G-senjou / Higurashi / Shikkoku no Sharnoth / Sekien no Inganock / .... / Forest might be worth mentioning, since its a really underrated VN

Yeah I've been looking for some to.

Some VN's with graphical gore scenes, or disturbing content (Not rape or strange fetish though).

So I support this thread !

Yeah, as Nyanko said, those are the ones you've most likely heard about already, you won't really find anything else, unless you can read Japanese.

Kara no Shoujo, or maybe even 999 and Virtue's Last Reward weren't mentioned here yet, but again, you've most likely heard of them already. You could also try Corpse Party if you're looking for the gore kind of dark..

Dies Irae, Paradise Lost, Kajiri Kamui Kagura, Demonbane, Vermillion, Mugen Renkan (this game is probably too much for most, due to the high amounts of rape, guro, protag dismemberment, etc), Gore Screaming Show (classic guro), Secret Game series

Dies Irae, Paradise Lost, Kajiri Kamui Kagura, Demonbane, Vermillion, Mugen Renkan (this game is probably too much for most, due to the high amounts of rape, guro, protag dismemberment, etc), Gore Screaming Show (classic guro), Secret Game series

Is Dies Irae as difficult to read as Hachimyoujin?

If what little I've read of Senshinkan's trial is any indication then yes, if you found that difficult then Dies will also be difficult, most likely.

While certain parts are easier than others depending on who's talking, here's a random excerpt from Dies to help give you a general idea:

1945年4月30日――大ドイツ帝国は終焉を迎えようとしていた」

「圧倒的物量差に押し潰され、孤立したベルリンはもはや陥落寸前である。

帝都を包囲する赤軍50万は徐々にその輪を狭めていき、生きてそこから脱することなどまず不可能と言って構わない。

悲鳴と銃声と爆音の狂想曲は絶え間なく、かつ容赦なく鳴り響き、街を人を根こそぎ壊し、鏖殺していく。撃ち殺される男たち、蹂躙される女子供、死に逝く千年帝国の断末魔……阿鼻叫喚の地獄絵図。

それは確かに、一時代の終わりとして相応しい悲劇なのかもしれないが」

「生憎と、まだ温い。こんなものでは、世界の敵を滅ぼしきることなど到底できない。

むしろその逆、業火に焼かれる無辜の民の魂が、より一層我らに力を与えるだろう。

この大戦を制したつもりで有頂天の者どもは、誰一人としてその事実に気付いていない。

哀れであり、滑稽である。本来なら、ここで彼らを蔑む詩のひとつでも捧げてやるべきなのだろうが」

「私は思う。万象、すべてにおいて何もかもが予想の範疇に収まる人生など、何の意味があるのだろうかと。

退屈だ。飽き飽きして、眠くなる。だが、見る夢すらも予想がつくゆえ、寝ても覚めてもつまらない。

それはなんと徹底して価値のない、そして、なんと馬鹿馬鹿しい物語か。私を主人公として戯曲を作れば、歴史に残る劣悪な駄作となるだろう。

私は表に出るべきではない。そう結論付け、ここにいたる。

義理上、その旨、我らが首領殿に断りを入れねばならぬだろうが……」

「燃えるベルリンを一瞥し、私は静かに踵を返した」

「この帝都と運命を共にする、幾千幾万の同胞たち……その魂に安らぎを。

では諸君、ご冥福をお祈りする。さようなら」

If what little I've read of Senshinkan's trial is any indication then yes, if you found that difficult then Dies will also be difficult, most likely.

While certain parts are easier than others depending on who's talking, here's a random excerpt from Dies to help give you a general idea:

1945年4月30日――大ドイツ帝国は終焉を迎えようとしていた」

「圧倒的物量差に押し潰され、孤立したベルリンはもはや陥落寸前である。

帝都を包囲する赤軍50万は徐々にその輪を狭めていき、生きてそこから脱することなどまず不可能と言って構わない。

悲鳴と銃声と爆音の狂想曲は絶え間なく、かつ容赦なく鳴り響き、街を人を根こそぎ壊し、鏖殺していく。撃ち殺される男たち、蹂躙される女子供、死に逝く千年帝国の断末魔……阿鼻叫喚の地獄絵図。

それは確かに、一時代の終わりとして相応しい悲劇なのかもしれないが」

「生憎と、まだ温い。こんなものでは、世界の敵を滅ぼしきることなど到底できない。

むしろその逆、業火に焼かれる無辜の民の魂が、より一層我らに力を与えるだろう。

この大戦を制したつもりで有頂天の者どもは、誰一人としてその事実に気付いていない。

哀れであり、滑稽である。本来なら、ここで彼らを蔑む詩のひとつでも捧げてやるべきなのだろうが」

「私は思う。万象、すべてにおいて何もかもが予想の範疇に収まる人生など、何の意味があるのだろうかと。

退屈だ。飽き飽きして、眠くなる。だが、見る夢すらも予想がつくゆえ、寝ても覚めてもつまらない。

それはなんと徹底して価値のない、そして、なんと馬鹿馬鹿しい物語か。私を主人公として戯曲を作れば、歴史に残る劣悪な駄作となるだろう。

私は表に出るべきではない。そう結論付け、ここにいたる。

義理上、その旨、我らが首領殿に断りを入れねばならぬだろうが……」

「燃えるベルリンを一瞥し、私は静かに踵を返した」

「この帝都と運命を共にする、幾千幾万の同胞たち……その魂に安らぎを。

では諸君、ご冥福をお祈りする。さようなら」

Hm, I guess it's a very similar level yeah - the NVL parts in Senshinkan gave me the most trouble from what I've read of it. Thanks, I'll stick to easier stuff like AkaGoei for now and check again later. :)

My personal favorite.  ^_^

I really hope this one is actually being translated by Mangagamer; I want to reread it with a non-machine translation. Nemu is a top-tier heroine.

Me too it'll be nice for this one to get a translation. I loved Nemu, she's definitely up there with my other favorites. I don't get creeped out by stuff much but this vn gave me the shivers sometimes.