Concerning Cocoro@function!

So I'm really excited about it being translated, but I have some concerns now.

Apparent Moenovel has become aware of this fan translation, though they have not done anything as of yet. Now why would it be bad that they're aware of it? Check out this description. 

"MoeNovel is an English localization company for visual novels based in Tokyo, Japan. The company announced its first title "If My Heart Had Wings" in May 2013.

In a recent interview, it was confirmed that the company is a member of the same corporate group as Pulltop."

Now, they work in the same corporate group as Pulltop.This is worrying because Pulltop is the one who made. I'm afraid they're going to make the translators stop, then have Moenovel translate it and give us another shitty translated, heavily censored vn like what they did with "If My Heart Had Wings".

What do you guys think will happen, am I the only one worried?

It really depends, they really have a few approaches. They could try a C&D which most companies go with, they can turn a blind eye and take it as free publicity, or they could try to hire the people working on it. Seems like the first two options are the most likely approaches here though.

Don't really mind it being censored, H-scenes are unnecessary in my opinion.

There's removing H-scenes and there's removing any kind of hint of romance, kiss scenes, sexual humor, and basically everything a VN could offer you, along with broken english.

They used the latter with Kono Oozora.

Don't really mind it being censored, H-scenes are unnecessary in my opinion.

Have you played thier translation of if my heart had wings? They did much more than just take out h-scenes. They got rid of every dirty joke and all the kissing scenes. They didnt just get rid of the h-scenes, they got rid of all the romance. Not too mention the translation was so poorly edited it was pretty much unreadable. Thank god some awesome people on this site decided to make a patch to fix it,

Plot twist : Gokurousama is actually hidden translation team from MoeNovel XD

Serious : Aware and Act are 2 different matter. As far as I know, D.C.III fan trans is the only one that get stopped by mother company. And no one sure that Cocoro@Function is MoeNovel's next game anyway~

Plot twist : Gokurousama is actually hidden translation team from MoeNovel XD

Serious : Aware and Act are 2 different matter. As far as I know, D.C.III fan trans is the only one that get stopped by mother company. And no one sure that Cocoro@Function is MoeNovel's next game anyway~

The second part is false, there have been a lot of C&Ds for fan TLs. As soon as the title gets localized or when a company decides to start localizing their games. It's just a matter of how they deal with it and how the fan TL group deals with it.

I actually support Moenovel for cutting out H-scenes in IMHHW, however, they censored far more than just H-scenes witch was going too far.

But back on the topic, I don't believe they will do anything to the translation team of Cocoro@function! like making them stop the project. True, they might try to make a deal with them like JAST have done with Dakkodango when they translated Aselia the Eternal.

Can someone tell me if they thought of the idea to "adopt" the translation once it's finished, would there really be any consequences for that? I mean it's not like a fan-translation is that protected, or they could acquire the whole team and translation once it gets near finished.

I really don't hope these scenarios will play out.

I love how everyone ignored Kleiner (the person translating the VN)

I couldn't take his response in a serious matter since he has an avatar with Shino using that expression of hers so I just chuckled at his response imagining it was Shino replying.

But it should be obvious by now that there's not going to be any problem unless the translation team says so.

In fact we don't even know if MoeNovel is going to pick Cocoro@function so I think we should leave assumptions aside.

I couldn't take his response in a serious matter since he has an avatar with Shino using that expression of hers so I just chuckled at his response imagening it was Shino replying.

But it should be obvious by now that there's not going to be any problem unless the translation team says so.

In fact we don't even know if MoeNovel is going to pick Cocoro@function so I think we should leave assumptions aside.

Yep

I love how everyone ignored Kleiner (the person translating the VN)

I'm not translating it. I'm just leading the project.

What're they going to do? Take down every torrent of the fan-translation when it comes out?

That isn't the primary concern. It has more to do with the effect it would have on the project itself, not distribution.

I'm not translating it. I'm just leading the project.

<3 We love you Doc.

I don't think that MoeNovel would realistically, go beyond a cease and desist. For one, I don't think they'd seriously consider a cease and desist until they plan on releasing Cocoro@Function overseas. Realistically, I don't think they'd want to release Cocoro@Function overseas.

Conceptually, they'd literally be going against all their professed morals. Konosora has a heartwarming story. Cocoro@Function has cute interaction. The latter is not laden with the content which they aim to supposedly spread. They want to spread novels beyond the otaku stereotype. Cocoro@Function sort of caters entirely to that. 

Economically, if they were to release Cocoro@Function overseas, they'd have to set the price reasonably. Everything within Japan is typically made exclusively within Japan. Most Western fans are not willing to pay market price for the raw novel. Visual novel companies know this, so they don't bother outside their demographic. They know that their fans would spend ~100$ on the regular edition, perhaps even much more on the collector's edition. They don't ship overseas [meaning, they don't consider the market much at all]. If someone were to buy something from Japan, then in most situations, they'd have to go through a proxy service. Cocoro@Function is not a cheap novel; it's got high-production value. It's also very new [which means that there's no point in releasing it overseas yet when domestic sales are still going on; cross-importing would be a dilemma]. 

Economically still, there's the legal precedence in actually pursuing legal action. In the eyes of a visual novel company, the overseas market is pretty mediocre. Most people have not heard of anime. Probably one a in a few hundred anime fans know what a visual novel is, and out of those, a fraction of those play them. Of that percentage, even less legally buy the game. MoeNovel would have to hire lawyers to pursue legal action beyond a cursory cease and desist [which does little than formally ask the party to stop].

There's the legal aspect of it. They'd have to prove without a doubt, that the party they're targeting is absolutely guilty. But this is the internet, where anonymity's prolific. They'd have to ascertain the identities of all the parties involved, allocate blame, and pay for a very expensive lawsuit. 

It doesn't make sense for a Japanese company to pursue legal action overseas for a niche market that won't have much affect on its sales. They'd have to pay thousands in legal fees [as the bottom estimate], for the sake of protecting a few hundred dollars more in sales [visual novels don't quite sell overseas]. At the end of it all, if they even do manage to formally 'stop' the actions, there's no stopping the group from working in secret, or the translated script being 'leaked.' 

I don't think that MoeNovel's that dumb. They're a company in the end. They won't pursue it unless they have enough to gain. Which in this case, is nothing. 

• 1 month later...