VN Haul

meru

Ooooooh. Physical copies! Are you living in Japan? Where did you order them? And--last question, sorry--then I assume you speak/read Japanese at a high level?

Yeah, I just moved to Japan last month, so I got these from a store (second hand) :) I'm JLPT N1 level, but I still have to play games with my dictionary on hand, and I use it way more than I would like >_<

oh, I am playing Tsujidou san no Jun'ai road right now. Have you started on any of them?

Not yet! I'm too busy with work and apartment hunting at the moment :( I have time to buy, but not to play haha. How is Tsujidou so far??

Hey Meru do you think you could show a photo of one of those unboxed? I've always wondered what the inside of a physical VN box set looked like~

Yeah sure, I'll do that tonight! These aren't special editions or anything, so I warn you the insides are really boring :P

A bit off topic, but since I'm living in Japan for at least the next few years I was thinking of possibly starting some sort of vn ordering service, just here within the Fuwan community. I'd charge for the game + shipping + a very small (fixed or percentage) handling fee. If that's something people would be interested in then I'll have a think about the details a bit more & make a separate post.

The last two VNs that I purchased were box copies of School Days and Koihime Musou. Got 'em from dealer tables at Otakon 2012.

Hendane goes to a number of fan conventions and sells untranslated games. It's been some time since they sold one that I really wanted. Lately, I've been hoping that they would carry Canvas 2 (which seems difficult to import), or the Windows versions of the first three Galaxy Angel games (difficult just to find). No luck yet.

It has been quite a while since I imported a game... One of my life lessons is "make sure a translation patch is available first!" You see, I had high hopes for the group that seemed to be translating the Playstation2 edition of To Heart 2, so I imported a disc and decided to wait. Then one day, they either ragequitted, or revealed that they were trolls all along.

Right now, I'm seriously considering a purchase of the puzzle game / VN hybrid Zero Escape: Virtue's Last Reward. I'll probably get the Vita version.

Id like to see that as well, i just ordered a bunch of games from mangagamer and im curious what they will look like.

Typically, they're sold in standard size cases, not too different from an average DVD or video game box. A few of their products have a bonus disc with a few music tracks, and/or a short book with some illustrations and character profiles.

@meru: It'll be cool if you opened up an ordering service! I'd like to get me some visual novels from Japan :D

I went to Akihabara recently, and I remember Traders having visual novels at bargain prices. Like, 100-200 yen prices, but they didn't have dvd cases/boxes; I didn't complain though, they were cheap. I ended up buying a chunk of visual novels and other games too there:

CAM00144_640x480.png

CAM00143_640x480.png

I went to Akihabara recently, and I remember Traders having visual novels at bargain prices. Like, 100-200 yen prices, but they didn't have dvd cases/boxes; I didn't complain though, they were cheap. I ended up buying a chunk of visual novels and other games too there:

Those are amazingly cheap, even more than pirated physical vg copies in my place. Are they original?

Yeah, they're all original (it's Japan, I don't think ANY shop there sells pirated stuff lol). The thing is that they're incomplete and are second-hand, hence the way cheaper prices.

:o What you mean second-hand? They made to many cd's and needed to get rid of them so they sell them uber cheap or something?

Nice. I plan on purchasing some VNs when I go to Ohayocon in January.

How is it Living in Japan. I heard applying to move there is pretty strict.

I love living here :D It depends what sort of visa you're looking to get as to how strict it is. It's easy to get a working holiday visa so you can stay for a year, but it becomes more difficult if you want to stay long-term. However, I've got full-time employment with a Japanese employer, so they sponsor my visa :)

@meru: It'll be cool if you opened up an ordering service! I'd like to get me some visual novels from Japan :D

Nice collection!! Yeah older or incomplete vn are sooo cheap.. I always seem to want the newest ones though >_<

Look out for a post from me soon about ordering service~

:o What you mean second-hand? They made to many cd's and needed to get rid of them so they sell them uber cheap or something?

Here in Japan there are a number of stores where you can take your games back when you've finished with them. You get a small fee, and they sell them on second hand. It's a great way to buy games, because a lot of people keep them in perfect condition, or if they are not in good condition or incomplete like the ones Sakamoto got, you can get them really cheap. I got my games this month from Mandarake, it's a chain that sells second hand games, figures, anime, manga, doujinshi etc. It's an otaku paradise XD

(Also, I'll get more photos up soon, promise!)

Mandarake is awesome for their wide catalog of commercial and doujin visual novels. I'd recommend the Shibuya outlet, they have some rare stuff like Tsukihime for 5000+ yen, which is kind of a steal I think. Strangely enough, the 1st Muv-Luv game has become a premium VN too, fetching higher prices lately.

Mandarake is awesome for their wide catalog of commercial and doujin visual novels. I'd recommend the Shibuya outlet, they have some rare stuff like Tsukihime for 5000+ yen, which is kind of a steal I think. Strangely enough, the 1st Muv-Luv game has become a premium VN too, fetching higher prices lately.

The Shibuya branch is awesome, but it's so bizarre going down all the stairs with the strobe lighting haha. Also I recommend the Ikebukuro branch (Otome Road) for anyone into BL or otome games, as all their stock is aimed at women . They have loads of BL games that can be quite hard to get hold of usually.

The Shibuya branch is awesome, but it's so bizarre going down all the stairs with the strobe lighting haha. Also I recommend the Ikebukuro branch (Otome Road) for anyone into BL or otome games, as all their stock is aimed at women . They have loads of BL games that can be quite hard to get hold of usually.

The lighting does give it an underground feel, haha.

I did went to Ikebukuro but didn't explore much, only went to Toranoana and a trading card game shop. I probably went past Otome Road without even knowing. I was looking for a physical copy of "The Second Reproduction", kinda hard-to-find doujin vn.

ah, so you're living in japan. No wonder~ you should definitely play Tsujidou, it's very interesting, just like all the other titles the company have released~

as for having a delivery service, that would be interesting. I already have a kind of delivery service there, but having more would be great~

• 1 month later...

Sorry, all my items are old. Because, one day I decided I wasn't going to buy anything else until I finished reading the ones I already had.

Below is D.C.P.C. Probably the most expensive game I've ever bought. By the way, the funniest thing about the box is the fake specs on the bottom (not shown). It actually says things like "ecchi level: 3 out of 5 stars" "sadness/heartbreak content: a lot" "moe content: plenty" I can take a picture of it if you really want to see it.

15ccajc.jpg

Below is Snow. This is my favorite box that I have, I think.

izlxdi.jpg

Back.

2621cpg.jpg

Below is Iinazuke. Most of the rest of my PS2 games are ports. This one is unusual, I bought it on impulse because I liked the girl on the cover...

2ir9s1x.jpg

Back.

seuo2s.jpg

Relationship chart.

2ia79yu.jpg

Well, mine were all imported from Japan.

But, I really would like to go to Tokyo on vacation this year.

So I am going to watch closely whenever somebody is talking about where to go, like in this thread.

Because I'll certainly go shopping while I'm there, if I can find the right places.

If possible, I want to get a bunch of manga, new and used. And I want to get some used PS2/Dreamcast/360/PS3 VNs etc.

So this is something people wanted to see a while ago but I didn't get round to taking photos til now. Here's the inside packaging of some of the vn I own smile.gif

DSC04940_zps0a47c58d.jpg

Here's a comparison of a few different shapes/sizes of packaging. On the bottom right is a BL game in a regular plastic CD/DVD case. All the others are in cardboard boxes with the discs in a jewel case inside.

DSC04941_zps474ec5f0.jpg

Kanon's case is pretty simple.

DSC04942_zpsf450ed09.jpg

This seems to be the most common way of packaging VN recently. You get a cardboard slip cover, with a hard cardboard box inside, inside of which is your disc & instruction manual. It's the same as how computer games used to be sold, before they moved on to using just the plastic case.

DSC04943_zpsc3939691.jpg

Some vn come in prettier packaging, either for their first press or special editions, or for all editions. This one is Caucasus, it comes in a lovely solid cardboard box, with an artbook. These are my favourite kinds of packaging to get, the others sometimes seem kind of pointless as it's a big box just for one small CD.

I hope this was interesting for some people ^_^

• 4 weeks later...