Visual Novel Lexicon

Final product:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1yfMIKXtfCFnZgcgRN_-34B8CdSTRE2FwDrvT4gCPP-s/edit?usp=sharing

----

OP:

what about the idea of a lexicon of useful terms on the main site for people new to j-games like visual novels. there's so many words that get used that newbies end up having to google all the time just to keep up with basic understanding of the titles. example nukige, that's a easy one but if you say that word to someone whos played only one eroge and are looking to make it a hobby they probably wont know it. and theres tons more like whats the difference between jrpgs with vn elements and vns with gameplay elements. there's alot that could be covered and id be wiling to gather as much as i could and format it for someone to review to help get one on the site for newcomers.

I thought of doing this once, but then the term "moe" came up. After that, I started thinking if I should include terms like "tsundere" which then developed into a full-blown otaku lexicon- which I don't have the disposition to do.

Good luck with it, though.

I think it's a nice idea.

I think no one should try to define "moe" though

Aside from that it'd be nice to have a glossary. But then again you can also easily find this stuff on wikipedia:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glossary_of_anime_and_manga

(Although the glossary says anime and manga, the terms used in VNs are the same)

Although we could shorten it to make it VN focused.

Stuff like honorifics could be added as well.

i was thinking of doing sections like common terms for otaku media, then j-game specific, then eroge and vn centric, stuff like that but i dont want sink time and effort in to making one if the staff think its pointless and dont think one would be useful on the site.

It's an idea. 

A good one.

I did have issues with specific vocabulary and still have sometimes so I think it's a good idea.

If you plan on doing it i'll offer my help if needed

You coudl always just copy something like http://visual-novels-general.wikia.com/wiki/Japanese_Terminology w

It's under a CC-BY-SA license tho, so you couldn't modify it if you cared great deals about copyright w

There's also http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/AnimeFanSpeak, which works out for character archetypes

If anyone's interested. Here's some lovely moments while we were editing this thing together:

When we were deciding on family titles. This happened:

KPiPECt.png

8ToJeKs.png

Jfrb81u.png

F61848F.png

LusoMQR.png

And then my favorite one when we started derailing after all the weird fetishes we found:

VD1nkF3.png

7T5ISiR.png

BdTOtfZ.png

A7iALS6.png

As you can see a lot of professionalism was involved in the making of this. I hope you enjoy this work of art.

fruits of our labor.

As you can see a lot of professionalism was involved in the making of this

Lulz

Note that the chatting is not to be read from top to bottom : read randomly

• I believe "ecchi" means "H" not pervert.
  • You forgot Meganekko , Miko, Hetare, Donkan, Ahoge, and perhaps some others.
  • If you added good, true and bad endings you might as well add neutral ending.
  • I think you also forgot or perhaps skipped Shishou.
  • I think you also forgot flag.
  • And perhaps event.

That's all that comes to mind.

• I beliieve "ecchi" means "H" not pervert. <- Well it does mean pervert, but you're right it comes from H
  • You forgot Meganekko , Miko, Hetare, Donkan, Ahoge, and perhaps some others. <- Yeah, we have to add these. Didn't think about them Edit : did these 5
  • If you added good, true and bad endings you might as well add neutral ending. <- Perhaps
  • I think you also forgot or perhaps skipped Shishou. <- I Intentionnally skipped it, we can not put everthing and I though it wasn't used enough to bother adding it. Maybe I should ? Wouldn't be very hard.
  • I think you also forgot flag. <- Correct
  • And perhaps event. <-  Well an event is an event isn't it ^^.

That's all that comes to mind.

Great feedback thanks

There are some typos under family titles

Onesan should be Oneesan

Please decide whether you will hyphenate -san or not.

Imoto should be Imouto

The sentence "Using no honorific is an honorific in itself" is both incorrect and unnecessary, I think.

Technical term "CG" as you defined it is actually "Event CG" not just "CG"

Ecchi ("H") is not literally "pervert".  You're confusing it with Hentai, it seems.  (It is close to the English words "naughty" or "dirty" when they are used in talking about something sexual)

There are some typos under family titles

Onesan should be Oneesan <- Changed

Please decide whether you will hyphenate -san or not. <- I've never heard of Onee alone for example. I'll do it if it can be seperated from san/sama/chan.

Imoto should be Imouto <-Changed

The sentence "Using no honorific is an honorific in itself" is both incorrect and unnecessary, I think. <- How come ?

Technical term "CG" as you defined it is actually "Event CG" not just "CG" <- CG = Computer graphics, it's not an event in itself. Event CG is something else we are thinking about adding and if we do we'll make a clear disctinction but it doesn't seem necessary.

Ecchi ("H") is not literally "pervert".  You're confusing it with Hentai, it seems.  (It is close to the English words "naughty" or "dirty" when they are used in talking about something sexual) <- *sigh* I should get rid of the literally then. But like I already said, it still means perverted, I know it comes from H.

Ecchi ("H") is not literally "pervert".  You're confusing it with Hentai, it seems.  (It is close to the English words "naughty" or "dirty" when they are used in talking about something sexual) <- *sigh* I should get rid of the literally then. But like I already said, it still means perverted, I know it comes from H.

Well ecchi as H stands for the first letter of Hentai so it basically means the same thing, but is shortened, it would probably be P if you take Pervert as the whole thing, but people wouldn't get it.

Most of the times in anime when the girl screams ecchi instead of hentai, it means the same thing.

It mostly depends on the voice tone and such, if she says it while laughing "oniichan no ecchi, ahahahaha" she probably means "naughty" but if she screams it when someone touches her or something, she is most likely saying "pervert".

(I watch most exclusively these types of anime so I know about it :P - and not sure if its actually used in normal Japanese speech, all I know is anime xD)

Yeah I wanted to make a difference beetween ecchi and hentai because those are cleary two different genres of anime/manga.

But as you said, when it's used in anime's for example it has the same meaning.