[Submission] VNs- Comments Section

Kaguya

Have people been spamming, or deleting things in that section ?

It didn't seem that way.

I though the concept was pretty good. 

If everybody is honest and don't delete useful comments it's quite good.

I recall often using these when solutions weren't provided in very specific cases before joining the forum and still getting help.

I think it's a good tool for people not wanting to get involved in the forum.

Making a standardised comment section = forum ,so I don't see the point.

I've seen a lot of stuff deleted there before joining fuwa.

There was a time where, for example, this guy kept deleting everything there and posting "a mysterious message from nowhere" or something like that. And there's no good way to stop that. 

Plus, the current format is really weird :P

Yeah I have no problem with having anonymous all across the board but that also presents a problem which is a new comment section getting flooded with comments. Imagine a VN page with over 200 comments, no one's going to read through those.

I do admit having the ability to erase all the comments is not very helpful but then our comment section would be ehh

I think it's nice, though- it brings much activity to their site and facilitates discussion.

I also don't see your point here- many comments in a comment section  shouldn't be bad- we already have a specific section for troubleshooting there, anyway, and it can make main site lurkers interested in the forums.

this guy kept deleting everything there and posting "a mysterious message from nowhere" or something like that. And there's no good way to stop that. 

Well we did stop that with ban I think, there was lot of those messages on forums as well.

I think the current comment format is interesting and it relies on a good community which we are trying to be - sure haters can delete but those people got bored of it long time ago and now mostly the good people remain.

And if you can't find a tip in there (about some problem with the game), you can always ask on forums.

I actually like it as it shows that even public absolutely non-moderated content can still work just fine if you attract the right people.

I think it's nice, though- it brings much activity to their site and facilitates discussion.

I also don't see your point here- many comments in a comment section  shouldn't be bad- we already have a specific section for troubleshooting there, anyway, and it can make main site lurkers interested in the forums.

It's much more prone to trolling and spam in my opinion. The box has a character limit.

I'm fine with the current box if whoever is being an ass can be banned as Steve said. 

Well that's an idea.

Rather than a floody comment section which can hardly be moderated we should bring it to the forums.

As you said, make people interested in joining.

Well we did stop that with ban I think, there was lot of those messages on forums as well.

I think the current comment format is interesting and it relies on a good community which we are trying to be - sure haters can delete but those people got bored of it long time ago and now mostly the good people remain.

And if you can't find a tip in there (about some problem with the game), you can always ask on forums.

I actually like it as it shows that even public absolutely non-moderated content can still work just fine if you attract the right people.

That's indeed nice, but there's also the people who don't want to be anons- It took me a long time to join the forums becuse I had no idea about forums in the first place- I'm sure there's a lot of people in the main page like that as well- the last time the site went down, a lot of people showed up and said things like "I didn't even know this place existed, lol". It's not about wether it's safe or not, it's about wether people think it's safe or not. Posting normally? sure- Posting in this weird box were everyone can edit what you said? Not all that nice- that's the reaction I always had to it, at least.

It's much more prone to trolling and spam in my opinion. The box has a character limit.

I'm fine with the current box if whoever is being an ass can be banned as Steve said. 

One of his main points was how the people in our community do not troll in the first place, so I don't think we have to worry about that.

I'll side with Steve here. It is indeed weird but it works fine from what I've seen and we should trust users if we want to create a community full of nice users.

Even with the issue of trust aside, there are plenty of arguments to change it. Again, just being able to put a name and know people will recognize you by it does wonders of incentive. There are plenty of newcomers who don't know the first thing about forums there- to make the place more friendly to them, we should make the comments more akin to something they're used to rather than this weird multiplayer notepad thingy.

It worked like this for years, it is a unique way to leave comments, if people want to have their name with the comment, they can register on the forums.

You can see the button for forum all the time on the website and most of the games also mention that if you have a problem you should go to the forums (and links there). If the game has walkthrough it links to forums as well.

And if they just want to discuss the VN, they can easily find the forums and register here and make a topic. I see no reason splitting the community to 2 parts, one in comment section and one on forums. This way the comments are just quick things anyone can ask without any account and anyone can reply and next day it can be gone. Forums are different and keep all discussions. And that is making those 2 separate and unique parts.

It worked like this for years, it is a unique way to leave comments, if people want to have their name with the comment, they can register on the forums.

You can see the button for forum all the time on the website and most of the games also mention that if you have a problem you should go to the forums (and links there). If the game has walkthrough it links to forums as well.

And if they just want to discuss the VN, they can easily find the forums and register here and make a topic. I see no reason splitting the community to 2 parts, one in comment section and one on forums. This way the comments are just quick things anyone can ask without any account and anyone can reply and next day it can be gone. Forums are different and keep all discussions. And that is making those 2 separate and unique parts.

We could still leave the option to make things quick- you wouldn't need to put a name if you didn't want to. 

Now, talk about which is easier-

1_Pass through the process of creating an account and be bothered to create a whole thread to talk to people you're not even sure exist in the first place or how active they are because you've never been there.

2_Just write what you want in the comment section of the game.

My point is, that would allow for outsiders to see a bit of how the community is, how we interact to each other and would generally attract more people to the forums. It doesn't matter that our selling point is being a friendly and different community if no one sees how we interact. I believe it would bring more activity here than it would take away, and it'd be nice to see us grow a bit.

Also, "it worked like this for years" is not really an argument- this whole forum is about possibly improving what we currently have, isn't it?  :P

you could do a hybrid of both allow members of the forum to reply under there name and have the anon box deal for those not interested in becoming a active participant in the community. i lurked for a long time before finally deciding that i wanted to see what the others who used the site were like, and now that i know many of the users here the opinions they have carry more weight for me than a anon message from a lurker . im sorry if a message in the box says "why even play this its a crappy game" from anon user, id be less likely to care then if one from clephas or kaguya or nosebleed stating" standard moege arts good, soundtracks poor id only play this once and then only if i didn't have others to read" the sense of community having a avatar and name with attached personality builds is much stronger to me than anon posts that could be from anyone who i have no reason to trust the opinion of. the members and staff here are some of the best ive ever found and iv been too dozens of forums for different topics . that quality of members is rare and should be showcased and when you consider alot of the reason people use the site is to get news on upcoming title translations and download torrents of available titles having people with experience can mean the world of difference for a newbie starting out. when i first started i played katawa shoujo and had to have more then i found fuwa and there were so many titles it was hard to know where to start and in some cases how to even get the titles to run in the first place.

Maybe just make members, who have contributed an "x" amount of posts to the forums here, a different color when they post in the post box. And then just put a key underneath. For example:

Black=anon

Green=member

Blue=staff

Red=admin

I don't know how that would really solve people just deleting the posts, maybe make staff level and up impossible to edit? 

That's a good idea but that would mean adding the "member" system on the main website which may be really difficult (I don't reall know but it does seem tough).

• 1 month later...

The thread is dead, but I think that some comments were deleted "again", since the last time I saw the Sweet Pool page, I'm sure there was some comments there .-.

I really don't mind how the comments work, but sometimes there are important questions and information there, and it'd be bad to lose that. People can post here in the forum, yeah, but it's not the first place they go, and lots don't even see the button up there in the main site.

Isn't there a way to "lock" what's alread written in the box there, so people would be unable to delete it, but at the same time, able to write new stuff?

No, unfortunately there is no way to lock people from deleting the comments, the code would have to be rewritten.

But as mentioned, on every game page it says that for more troubleshooting comments people should visit the forums so nobody should miss it.

This was discussed before and rejected. I don't know if I can be arsed to find the thread though. Essentially, the problem named was that if we allow comments to be more permanent, we have to mod them. Using disqus requires code work, and Nay rejected it for a reasonable reason if I remember correctly.

Of course, opinions change. Nevertheless, until fuwa gets another coder we're likely pretty fucked anyway.