Re-reading the common route

Jptje

I'm reading clannad now and I've just finished it for the second time. After a little break, I'm now reading it for the third time, but I noticed I have a tendency to re-read everything, even though I've already read the common route twice: I can't help but think I'll miss out on something even though I know most of what's going to be said.

So I was wondering, do you skip the first part when you read a VN for the second time? 

If I completed one of the routes and am going for the next route on my first playthrough of a VN then I'll skip, but if I'm playing a VN I've already completed then I won't skip - that kind of defeats the purpose of replaying it in the first place. That said, I very rarely replay VNs just because there are so many new ones I can be playing instead. I am currently replaying Rewrite in small bits every now and then, for example when I'm on the road and I've finished whatever VN I was reading or I'm in public and in a position where people can see my screen and the VN that I'm playing is about to hit an H-scene.

I never reread already read text during a playthrough...it wastes too much time.  It was one thing when I only had translated games to play... but now?  I'd never manage to finish anything if I had to reread the common route, lol. 

From what I recall there isn't much of a "common route" in Clannad.

There are enough choices to get new scenes really often depending on the route you want to get.

It's one of the only games were it didn't bother me at all because I often had choices that I didn't yet explore.

Since I dread the VNs that don't have the "skip already read text" option, no, I don't reread. Assuming the system works, you'll never miss out on stuff either.

From what I recall there isn't much of a "common route" in Clannad.

There are enough choices to get new scenes really often depending on the route you want to get.

It's one of the only games were it didn't bother me at all because I often had choices that I didn't yet explore.

Plus there were some random events, like the recordings on Sunohara's tape and scuh... man, Clannad was so good content-wise.

Since I dread the VNs that don't have the "skip already read text" option, no, I don't reread. Assuming the system works, you'll never miss out on stuff either.

Plus there were some random events, like the recordings on Sunohara's tape and scuh... man, Clannad was so good content-wise.

I agree, I like reading through it again as there are plenty of small events like that. Sadly from your reaction it seems this is a rarity in VN's, which is a pity.

I agree, I like reading through it again as there are plenty of small events like that. Sadly from your reaction it seems this is a rarity in VN's, which is a pity.

Well Clannad is considered as one of the best VN's for a reason.

And yeah Vokoca you're right about the random events. Even though it wasn't important it added so much to the replayability.

I wouldn't be able to see myself playing through a common route more than once. If I were to read a visual novels twice, I'd skip straight to the heroine routes, lol. No matter how well written it is, I don't think I'll ever have enough appreciation for any common route to go through it again. Not sure how good Clannad's common route will be, but even the common route in Grisaia and Rewrite felt like a chore to read for me. When I'm starting another route, I tend to skip the already-read parts, but I'll still read the extra segments that I haven't read in my last run (a lot of them tend to be highly relevant to the route you're starting).

If I completed one of the routes and am going for the next route on my first playthrough of a VN then I'll skip, but if I'm playing a VN I've already completed then I won't skip - that kind of defeats the purpose of replaying it in the first place. That said, I very rarely replay VNs just because there are so many new ones I can be playing instead. I am currently replaying Rewrite in small bits every now and then, for example when I'm on the road and I've finished whatever VN I was reading or I'm in public and in a position where people can see my screen and the VN that I'm playing is about to hit an H-scene.

Do you just bring your laptop to Starbucks and play an eroge while drinking latte? That's some guts you have  :blink: I personally don't find maximum enjoyment of playing in public as opposed somewhere peaceful like my room.

Anyway, yes, I skip parts of the common route that I've already read, unless I know when a choice is coming and planning to choose one I've never picked. I'd probably read a previous bit to get the context.

Do you just bring your laptop to Starbucks and play an eroge while drinking latte? That's some guts you have  :blink: I personally don't find maximum enjoyment of playing in public as opposed somewhere peaceful like my room.

Anyway, yes, I skip parts of the common route that I've already read, unless I know when a choice is coming and planning to choose one I've never picked. I'd probably read a previous bit to get the context.

No, but I do have a lot of excruciatingly long bus rides to and from uni, and I don't always manage to get a seat where absolutely nobody can see my screen. :P