Anime Suggestion. Go.

I am just about to finish Kyoukai no Kanata for my anime group. Seeing as my buddies anime are 24 episodes each, I need a new one to start for this weekend. Suggest away!

Basic rules are it needs to be no greater than 30 episodes, and interesting. No absolute moe blob anime that have no plot or any meaning to them. I have seen a lot, but I want something completely mind blowingly out of this world. Go.

I'm not exactly sure what anime you have watched, if you could post an anime list or something it would help with suggestions. Now to name off random anime.

Neon Genesis Evangelion, Anohana, Fate/Zero, Steins;Gate, Gurren Lagann, Hyouka, Trigun, Cowboy Bebop.

That's just stuff on top of my head, I may have some more later.

A list of anime you've already seen would be helpful :P

Well these are all the anime i think stand out on their own, from the ones I've seen.

Ano Hana

Another

Bakemonogatari

Darker Than Black

Elfen Lied

Jigoku Shoujo

Kobato

Kokoro Connect

Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica

Serial Experiments Lain

Shiki

Shinsekai Yori

Hope some of these help.

For something more recent, the Kara no Kyoukai movies, Sword Art Online, Legend of the Legendary Heroes, and for something more classic, Noir.

Kara no Kyoukai is based in the same Nasuverse as Tsukihime and FSN, Sword Art Online is one of the few anime from the last few years that is worth watching, and Legend of the Legendary Heroes does fantasy with a nice mix of old and newer styles, creating a fun story. 

Noir... is a classic for a reason. 

Sword Art Online is one of the few anime from the last few years that is worth watching, 

I never was able to understand the hype around SAO. It took  a lot of inspiration from .hack//sign but I didn't think it hit the same heights.

@Original Ren: If you want something out of this world, just watch Hellsing Ultimate and be done with it :P

It didn't hit the same places as .hack because:

1.  It actually made sense

2.  Even though the idea is the same, the direction it went is completely and utterly different

3.  Did you really go into it expecting .hack?  *giggles contemptuously* 

1- True, hack//sign is very confusing. Very character focused though, which created some powerful moments.

3- No. I wanted to see what everyone was raving about. Still don't get the hype. 

I think it was because people fawned over the relationship between Asuna and Kirito. The Damsel in Distress cliché works for a lot of people. Sadly this made the anime rather meh. At least in my opinion. 

3- No. I wanted to see what everyone was raving about. Still don't get the hype.

SAO created a flow of people from spheres close to anime such as people playing video-games, and because of the "ideal fantasm" and "first anime" phenomenons they were very vocal at the time. Most regular anime watchers were rather on the side of "it's good but nothing to die for". Of course the overhype created a negative feedback of it getting hated a lot, so it made even more publicity for it. Just your regular internet buzz.

I think it was because people fawned over the relationship between Asuna and Kirito. The Damsel in Distress cliché works for a lot of people. Sadly this made the anime rather meh. At least in my opinion. 

I should know by now that a lot of the hype in the anime world is generated by teenage boys. Nothing wrong with that, but it means I need to learn to ignore it. They tend to look for different things than I do. Generally speaking.

I just liked Kirito... about 25% of my opinion of a story is decided by the protag, 10% by the character dynamics, 25% by the setting, and 40% by the scenario.  The setting was interesting, Kirito never managed to disappoint me as a a protagonist, and the story was enjoyable, so there were no problems.  The best most anime series manage these days is MAYBE doing one of those factors well.  Also, SAO did melodrama much better than .Hack... one of the most basic necessities if you want to grab the attention of the viewer with melodrama is to attack their emotions in an easily comprehensible way, and SAO managed that much better than .Hack.

I never was able to understand the hype around SAO. It took  a lot of inspiration from .hack//sign but I didn't think it hit the same heights.

@Original Ren: If you want something out of this world, just watch Hellsing Ultimate and be done with it :P

The reason I disliked it in the end it was the first half was freaking awesome and then the second part was very disappointing. '-'

Also, SAO did melodrama much better than .Hack... one of the most basic necessities if you want to grab the attention of the viewer with melodrama is to attack their emotions in an easily comprehensible way, and SAO managed that much better than .Hack.

All that did was make the show cheesy.

I agree with Clephas, though I have to say the second half of SAO, what was it ALfheim, wasn't that great compared to the first 12ish episodes. Wonder what SAO II is gonna be like.

Seems me and Zhiroo have the same opinion.

Edited by Down
double post

I agree with Clephas, though I have to say the second half of SAO, what was it ALfheim, wasn't that great compared to the first 12ish episodes. Wonder what SAO II is gonna be like.

GGO is the best arc in the novels in my opinion.

If they don't screw it up with melodrama then it might be better than the first season.

As long as you're okay with trap Kirito.

Hmm, as far as stuff to recommend go, I'd have to jump on the Log Horizon bandwagon, although that is still airing and may be more than the requisite number of episodes. For other stuff, I'd say............ Persona 4, which does a good job, IMO, of compressing a really long game into about 26 or so episodes, the other recommendation being Mysterious Girlfriend X, if you don't mind a rather weird premise and a more slice of life show. Get past the first few episodes and it gets substantially less weird. Oh, and Date Alive is rather good, if you don't mind REALLY cliffhanger endings. Second season is on the way though, so there is that.

Someone needs to just start a SAO discussion thread. lol.

But then we wouldn't be able to hi-jack completely innocent threads!

Recommend me an anime turns into SAO - how overrated is that.

worst character - don't get me started on SAO

Favourite seiyuu - I told you not to get me started dammit!

The effect of anime on pop culture - That's it. Biggest SAO rant is going in here!

Because your suggestion sucks all the fun out of life, it gets a big thumbs down from me. Booo!