What's the worst anime you've seen?

Nosebleed

Maria Holic

Myself, personally; I love Yuri. I will even go as far as to say that this anime had some potential in the beginning.

When she first meets Maria, you instantly think "So this is the girl she's gonna fall in love with?"

But this entire show ended up just being a complete waste of time as far as romance goes. The only "comedy" in it on Maria's part. In my opinion, this is a waste of time, and shouldn't have even gotten a second season.

-And-

To Love-ru (The first season, haven't gotten to the others, not sure if I even want to)

Please, before anyone rages at me for this. Understand that I watched this thinking it would have romance in it. However in it's awkward opening of emotion between the two, into a developed hellstorm of random idiotic alien encounters; I got bored and skipped to the last few episodes. The last 3 episodes were as "romantic" as it was gonna get. 

So here is my basic breakdown of the ROMANCE side of the story:

Initial opening: He likes Sairenji, and is completely embarassed by Lala sleeping with him nude.

Early development: Slowly he becomes friends with Lala, whilst still liking Sairenji so much more.

Mid-development: He begins to think about what to do between his engagement with the galactic princess and the ordinary beauty.

Late stage development: He starts to like Lala as well as Sairenji.

At this point, you start to think. "Oh my gosh, he's REALLY gonna marry her! But what's gonna happen with Sairenji? HAREM?!"

But no. 

Last 3 episodes: He fights the challenge of the gods, basically, just to stand up on an alien ship to marry the girl he went through hell to get to. Then, just to have HER reject him after being so happy for 20-some episodes that she'd be marrying him, all so she could tell him to be with Sairenji whom he really likes. So you think "Oh gosh! He's FINALLY going to be with her!" But nope. All 20-some episodes were a waste as they continue from square one as friends between all of them. Sure, there's hints that him and Sairenji are dating but. There's no natural romantic progression.

Sorry for the giant elaboration of the anime. But this is just how I see it in my eyes. In the end, watching the whole anime came out to the ending of watching it for nothing.

Guest hairybumslapper
To Love-ru (The first season, haven't gotten to the others, not sure if I even want to)

Please, before anyone rages at me for this. Understand that I watched this thinking it would have romance in it. However in it's awkward opening of emotion between the two, into a developed hellstorm of random idiotic alien encounters; I got bored and skipped to the last few episodes. The last 3 episodes were as "romantic" as it was gonna get. 

Initial opening: He likes Sairenji, and is completely embarassed by Lala sleeping with him nude.

Early development: Slowly he becomes friends with Lala, whilst still liking Sairenji so much more.

Mid-development: He begins to think about what to do between his engagement with the galactic princess and the ordinary beauty.

At this point, you start to think. "Oh my gosh, he's REALLY gonna marry her! But what's gonna happen with Sairenji? HAREM?!"

But no. 

Last 3 episodes: He fights the challenge of the gods, basically, just to stand up on an alien ship to marry the girl he went through hell to get to. Then, just to have HER reject him after being so happy for 20-some episodes that she'd be marrying him, all so she could tell him to be with Sairenji whom he really likes. So you think "Oh gosh! He's FINALLY going to be with her!" But nope. All 20-some episodes were a waste as they continue from square one as friends between all of them. Sure, there's hints that him and Sairenji are dating but. There's no natural romantic progression.

Sorry for the giant elaboration of the anime. But this is just how I see it in my eyes. In the end, watching the whole anime came out to the ending of watching it for nothing.

Watch the second season and TLR: Darkness + OVA's. it gets much, much better bro, trust me. The first season is not in the same league at all.

The heroine's a trashy slut with no real emotions, the protagonist is the agravating harem type, and the scenario/plot writing is garbage. Now, plot writing is typically not that good in most ecchi anime, but at least a good one will have fun and lovable girls. Dears did not. It's a complete disgrace.

Hmm...I have to counter this opinion b/c DearS was one of my favorites.  How is Ren a slut??  And it definitely shows her having emotions at some point.  The protogonist is aggravating, but he's basically a stand-up guy (lots of anime protagonists are like this).  If Ren & Miu are not fun & lovable girls, I have to take a look at your anime list.  Let's see...

To Love Ru gets a 4.

Tari-Tari gets a 3.

Fantasista Doll gets a 2.

Okay, something's going on here.  Obviously your definition of "fun & lovable girls" differs from mine.  Oh well.

I'm with hairybumslapper on this one. I didn't dislike the first season of TLR, but I still find it relatively weak in comparison to its sequels. And even the plot gets pretty interesting when you get to Darkness.

Hmm...I have to counter this opinion b/c DearS was one of my favorites.  How is Ren a slut??  And it definitely shows her having emotions at some point.  The protogonist is aggravating, but he's basically a stand-up guy (lots of anime protagonists are like this).  If Ren & Miu are not fun & lovable girls, I have to take a look at your anime list.  Let's see...

To Love Ru gets a 4.

Tari-Tari gets a 3.

Fantasista Doll gets a 2.

Okay, something's going on here.  Obviously your definition of "fun & lovable girls" differs from mine.  Oh well.

Ahaha, sorry. ;^^ The characters need a lot of impact before I can consider them worthwhile. I just could not find anything to like about Ren and Miu. Sorry if I came off as a little strong toward the girls you liked, but that's really how I feel. An anime can showcase a girl's emotions and it still wouldn't amount to anything depending on how it's written. But who knows, maybe I just hated the anime so much that I couldn't find their charms. What did you like about Ren and Miu?

But no. 

To Love-ru is one of those things you have to know before you get into. To Love-ru's goal is obviously to shower you with fanservice not give you an interesting story.  And since it's a harem, expecting a heroine to be chosen is kind of ridiculous (most harems don't)

But as mentioned aleady, To Love-ru does get better in the following seasons and I do agree that the first season was pretty crappy.

Even story wise To Love-ru Darkness is far more appealing than the original To Love-ru. However there still won't be much progression as far as relationships go, it's just more girls falling for the protagonist. And that's what one should expect when watching To Love-ru.

An anime can showcase a girl's emotions and it still wouldn't amount to anything depending on how it's written. But who knows, maybe I just hated the anime so much that I couldn't find their charms. What did you like about Ren and Miu?

Now that would be best answered by some well-chosen clips...but I need a bit of time to get them together.  (say...you did view this show as a comedy, right?)

Even story wise To Love-ru Darkness is far more appealing than the original To Love-ru. However there still won't be much progression as far as relationships go, it's just more girls falling for the protagonist. And that's what one should expect when watching To Love-ru.

Well, I would use the word "appalling" at the story being added to To Love Ru Darkness, in much the same way as if someone added a story to the 3 Stooges.  Thankfully it didn't turn serious like I thought it might, at least in what they've done so far, it recovered and went back to being lite.  Because I don't want a show that I was enjoying for madcap comedy to suddenly try and turn serious.  I call that "bipolar".  Example:  Sora no Otoshimono.  And if Darkness continues to get more serious in the future, I will have to write it off.

Now that would be best answered by some well-chosen clips...but I need a bit of time to get them together.  (say...you did view this show as a comedy, right?)

I view every anime as it intends to present itself. If it intended to be viewed as a serious anime with a depth driven storyline, I'll look at what the plot does to make itself interesting; if it's character oriented, I'll see what it does to flesh out or develop the characters; and if it primarily focuses on comedy, I'll just sit back and laugh my heart out! I love comedy anime with a passion, but only if it does something to amuse me. I don't remember Dears pulling off anything to bring out a chuckle in me. If I remember correctly, Dears seemed to put more focus on its ecchi. I like ecchi anime too, but only if really blows my mind with how lewd it is. The Kiss x Sis OVA is a shining example of ecchi done well (the TV series does an okay job for the most part). Granted, the characters in Kiss x Sis were almost as deplorable as the ones in Dears, but at least I can enjoy the fap-happy atmosphere. Dears doesn't have the ideal camera angles or OSTs for arousing viewers, it's kinda plain. The voice acting was nice though.

• 4 years later...

Akame Ga Kill.

easily the worst anime ive ever seen. through out most of one episode i just thinking how utterly stupid the show was. theres a character who gets her arms cut off and has guns inside of those arms as back up. boy, it sure is a good thing she had those implanted at exactly those spots, otherwise they wouldve been either pointless or she would have to shoot through her own flesh to make them effective. then come to find out she has a gun in her throat as well. what? the characters dress in modern clothing and talk modernly. like, stick with the times. if youre gonna go with this setting, stick with it, otherwise, whats the point? theres more but those stuck at as being the what made me drop this incredibly dumb show.

:blink: at the necropost.

In my case, if we talk about anime that I actually finished and didn't drop after the first episode, it's the first season of Rewrite. It was so completely random and unfunny, so I can't even understand how they managed to adapt the VN this badly. Well, it kind of works as a complementary material for those who already finished the VN (it was nice to see all these scenes from the common route animated) and at the same time serves as a massive anti-advertisement for the VN for those who didn't read it.

And the original story in the second half of the season is even worse than the the first half, by the way.

The second season, on the other hand, is watchable, and the first two episodes were actually pretty good, but it still was pretty underwhelming, comparing it to the VN.

7 hours ago, Dreamysyu said:

In my case, if we talk about anime that I actually finished and didn't drop after the first episode, it's the first season of Rewrite.

And the original story in the second half of the season is even worse than the the first half, by the way.

The second season, on the other hand, is watchable, and the first two episodes were actually pretty good, but it still was pretty underwhelming, comparing it to the VN.

I can only agree, I had expectations because of the VN, but the anime is really bad, I had a hard time not droping season 1 (though I liked the opening song of the 2nd part) and couldn't go over 2nd ep of s2. But I wouldn't put it on worst anime ever seen.

Hand Shakers is a more formidable concurrent. Ousama game and on the same note Mayoiga are even better (or even worst, it depends), I guarantee 100% disappointment.

Ultimately I tried things like pupa, and mars of destruction. This last one is unwatchable, even for fun. Even if it's a single OVA of 19min don't try it, you have been warned.

On my personal tastes I would also list :

Akane Maniax : those who watched Kimi Ga Nozomu Eien, found Akane kinda cute, and tried this, will know what I mean...

Chaos Child : I had a hard time with Chaos Head but on the whole it was watchable, but not Chaos Child.

Edited by ManteR

well, i thought about making a thread asking this same question but figured id search it up. akame ga kill just stuck with me on how bad it was. the manga sounds good but the anime? begh.

theres also this one anime i dropped like 17 minutes in. forget what its called but the mc has the ability to like see flags on people, friendship flag, love flag, death flag, etc etc. sounded interesting despite its premise hinting that it would be a harem anime but watched it anyway... it was dumb.

I understand that you mean worst anime you ever watched to completion, without taking into account those that were dropped halfway through. 

I'd say Saekano does it for me. Even though I watched it many years ago and can't remember all the details very well (that and the fact that the human brain tends to suppress traumatic experiences), I recall it being an absolute mess. The plot has no coherence and goes nowhere, and it tries so hard to be depressing for the sake of it that it's embarrasing. Talk about forced drama. 

Some day I need to rewatch it only to see if I still feel it's that bad or even worse nowadays. 

Aside from the abysmal Dies and Tsukihime animes, the worst one I've seen in my opinion is Black Butler II. To make a long story short before I rant about everything wrong with this season, it was unnecessary addition to a show that ended perfectly and the only good thing about it was the OST. Thankfully season 3 basically rendered it non-canon with it going 'If it ain't happen in the manga, It ain't canon.'

Also who the fuck thinks its a good idea to start a 12 episode anime with 3 episodes of filler right after introducing new characters in the first ep! 

Chaos Dragon

I just watched this one for the name alone, not knowing who was behind it.

I ended up being bored, insulted, and unentertained throughout.

I dropped it halfway through the 6th episode.

Rokka no Yuusha

You know, I wanted to like this one, I really did.

But I hated the direction that the anime had taken in the end.

Thank god there isn't a second season.

• 2 weeks later...

> Seitokai Yakuindomo

You can argue that its brand of humour is very particular and I can't complain, but I DO complain.

> Grisaia no Kajitsu anime

I can barely stand first episode. I'm not sure if the novel is that bad.

> Ookami Kakushi

I didn't particularly like Lucia's route in Rewrite, but this is certainly Ryukishi's bottom of the barrel (titor).

On 6/4/2018 at 9:42 AM, Okarin said:

> Grisaia no Kajitsu anime

I can barely stand first episode. I'm not sure if the novel is that bad.

Hm, i usually here that people that have read Grisaia VN despise it's anime adaptation. But i guess it's first time when someone mentions it not reading the VN.

40 minutes ago, cro-mag said:

Hm, i usually here that people that have read Grisaia VN despise it's anime adaptation. But i guess it's first time when someone mentions it not reading the VN.

Just shows how bad it can be. I've never played Dies Irae yet I tried watching the anime and was astounded at how bad it was standalone and gave up after 1? 1.5 episodes? Can't remember, it was that forgettable.

13 hours ago, cro-mag said:

I mean, I haven't watched the anime adaptation (just the first episode actually), but it's common sense that you cannot properly adapt a 60+ hour VN into a 13 episode anime. Not even one of the routes. Probably if they adapted each route into a 24 episode series on its own it'd be another kettle of fish :vanilla:

i watched the grisaia anime and it was meh. first ep ends funnily where it tries to mislead the audience into thinking its something else. like, since ive already read it i know these characters and their arcs and just to see it be so misleading is funny. they tried to make it seem like theyre about to explode and the bombs are meant for yuuji. idk.

also, they changed a lot of the arcs a bit. ill post what some of the changes are. btw, i skimmed through the series mostly.

spoiler for the grisaia anime and a bit of the vn

Spoiler

amanes arc seems to be the same with her backstory but the whole dad thing of one of the victims changes completely. instead of him following yuuji and amane to the forest, he takes the school hostage. amane and yuuji arrive to find their classmates as hostage as he demands for amane. she goes and gets taken hostage with the rest and after looking at her body, he decides he wants to rape her. of course, before this happens, he is shot.

yumikos is different, skimmed through it so i dont know everything about it but it ends with her faking her own death in front of her father so he will leave her alone...

makinas difference is that yuuji kills her mother in the end and doesnt lose his arm.

michirus is not too different although they did leave out the part where yuuji tells the rest of the dorm members that shes dead and in the coffin. really wouldve like to see their reaction, such as yumiko at first playing it off as strong and cold like usual but when shes being taken away she breaks down hard.